Paul Lambert

Pilchard

I predict a month ago 38 points would be the cut off point so we need two more wins. Looking at our remaining fixtures that looks a reachable target. Lambert has done a good job and if we stay up then he will definitely be able to push this team.on. diame is a good player but sylla potentailly is abetger player. What we need in midfield is a goal scorer and a creative spark. A replacement for dunne is probably lamberts most important task and he has to be quality.

Look at your above post. "No way will we need 40pts this season. It looks so tight that it might be possible to avoid relegation with as low as 35pts this time round."

Avoid and safe pretty much means the same thing in the context you were using it but then when challenged by a few posters you've tried to retract it as you usually do.

Maybe you should look up the words might and possible. Especially when they're put together.

Spot on Pelle

Morpheus seems to find it hard to comprehend english. Very clearly my point was that 40 points may not be needed and that it might be possible to stay up on as few as 35 points. Whilst 40 is a good target to have in the previous five seasons 35 has been enough twice, 36 once, 37 once and 39 once so not reaching 40 points does not mean automatic relegation.

Clutching at straws Morpheus - shame on you

should have beaten? did you watch it? they had 1 shot all game

He has played regularly in their poor run at the moment of 2 wins in 10 games. 

Ok rather than debating the merits of the Spam West Ham game and ignoring that West Ham are pretty much safe with Diame in midfield would you rather have KEA, Sylla who we are paying two wages, or Diame?

they are only 4 points ahead of us so not that safe yet. He is probably better than them but he is far from answer to our problems. Sort of tells when newly promoted West Ham signed him on a free and not a Fulham or a West Brom

Look at your above post. "No way will we need 40pts this season. It looks so tight that it might be possible to avoid relegation with as low as 35pts this time round."

Avoid and safe pretty much means the same thing in the context you were using it but then when challenged by a few posters you've tried to retract it as you usually do.

Maybe you should look up the words might and possible. Especially when they're put together.

Spot on Pelle

Morpheus seems to find it hard to comprehend english. Very clearly my point was that 40 points may not be needed and that it might be possible to stay up on as few as 35 points. Whilst 40 is a good target to have in the previous five seasons 35 has been enough twice, 36 once, 37 once and 39 once so not reaching 40 points does not mean automatic relegation.

Clutching at straws Morpheus - shame on you

This  :lol:  :lol:

I can't believe you can be this sincerely dense. Then again this is VT.

This the same Diame who was anonymous at Villa Park a few weeks ago and playing for a West Ham team in diabolical form

A West Ham team that has just drawn and should have beaten Liverpool.

Diame has been consistently one of West Ham's better players and would you agree that they are safe from the drop while we....?

Who would be a better option for our midfield alongside Westwood. KEA, Sylla, or Diame?

:clap:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Ok rather than debating the merits of the Spam West Ham game and ignoring that West Ham are pretty much safe with Diame in midfield would you rather have KEA, Sylla who we are paying two wages, or Diame?

Why have you switched from Charlie Adam to Diame?

Not to get into the whole Diame discussion as that is history now, but in the future i rather we spend our money on 1-2 good players on a reasonable/normal PL wages than on 4-5 mediocre players on Championship wages.

I think we'd had gotten better result on the field and more value for money with Diame than with the combined money and salary spent on Holman, Sylla and El Ahmadi.

But as stated we have no idea if we were after him or if so he'd wante'd to come here. I just use his name as an example 

Not to get into the whole Diame discussion as that is history now, but in the future i rather we spend our money on 1-2 good players on a reasonable/normal PL wages than on 4-5 mediocre players on Championship wages.

I think we'd had gotten better result on the field and more value for money with Diame than with the combined money and salary spent on Holman, Sylla and El Ahmadi.

But as stated we have no idea if we were after him or if so he'd wante'd to come here. I just use his name as an example 

There's plenty of PL players on PL wages that just aren't PL players. The same can be said of FL players. Some are good enough and just need their chance. 3/4 the players Lambert has picked out have made a large positive impact than negative. Therefore I'd trust him to find more gems.

(Btw how annoying is it that Paul Lambert has the same initials as Premier League :<)

There's plenty of PL players on PL wages that just aren't PL players. The same can be said of FL players. Some are good enough and just need their chance. 3/4 the players Lambert has picked out have made a large positive impact than negative. Therefore I'd trust him to find more gems.

(Btw how annoying is it that Paul Lambert has the same initials as Premier League :<)

Yeah it's really annoying, almost as annoying as Andre Villas-Boas looking like Aston Villa at first glance when seeing a transfer link.

I hope this strategy of only signing low wage players is just temporary untill we get rid of the old high earners because in the long run it won't work.

Worst case scenario the players we sign are not good enough and represent value for money - Ckampionship player for Championship money.

Or best case scenario we find gems who are successfull but will then ask for new contracts if they are to stay. Like Benteke who if you believe the papers will get double his money to sign a new contract. This will most likelly lead to us having to rebuild the squad every season and that won't work

That West Ham team is full of over-paid, over-rated players, and I'd imagine they've only got a season or two before that bubble bursts in their face. Unlike Big Sam's time at Bolton, he is spending fairly heavily, £11m for Jarvis, £5m for Maiga. Factor in the wages of Carroll, Cole, Collins on a four year deal. 

Why have you switched from Charlie Adam to Diame?

He saw the great Charlie Adam couldnt even get a start vs our crap midfield :P

But surely by starting them on low wages, we give ourselves the option of giving them big contracts when they do perform.

It's an incentive for the players.

Exactly, and if they do not perform or get a bad injury we aren't at as much risk, of say a Habib Beye, who was proven at PL level. 

But surely by starting them on low wages, we give ourselves the option of giving them big contracts when they do perform.

It's an incentive for the players.

Exactly, and if they do not perform or get a bad injury we aren't at as much risk, of say a Habib Beye, who was proven at PL level. 

I just think we need a solid core of senior players to give the younger players room to develop and that will cost money.

Looking at next season that core is Guzan-Vlaar (if he can stay fit)- ?- Gabby and Benteke if he decides to stay. 

Hopefully some of the young players like Lowton, Westwood and Wiemann and so on can take another step but that still leaves us short on quality, just like this season.

I don't think Lambert is a good enough manager to keep a team consisting of young £ 20-30k players in the Premier League for more than the odd season or 2.

For the record i doubt Mourinho or Wenger could do it either

I think we'll need the full 40pts this season. Everyone around us is picking up points and of the ones who are struggling, I would expect Stoke and Sunderland to do something between now and the end of the season. Form is temporary and they'll break out of it sooner or later. We've won 3 in 4 and yet we're still only 2pts off the drop. If we can beat Fulham then I'll begin to breathe more easily but that game is far from a sure thing. They're playing very well and we're crap at home. But given next week's fixtures, if we did beat them then I think we'd find ourselves quite far from the relegation zone with our rivals having mostly tripped up.

1) "I think we'll need the full 40pts this season" - No way will we need 40 pts this season - It looks so tight that it might be possible to avoid relegation with as low as 35 pts this time round

2) "Everyone around us is picking up points" - No they're not. Stoke have picked up 1 from the last 15, Stoke 2 from the last 15 and Norwich 3 from the last 15. They're all dropping like stones

3) "Form is temporary" - the rest of this quote is "...and class is permanent" Stoke, Sunderland and Norwich are not class teams, they're below average journeymen

4) "they'll break out of it sooner or later" - based on what

We're not out the woods yet, but a win against Fulham and we can begin to relax. That would put us 3 points behind Fulham with five to play, so if as you say "they're playing very well", on that basis we must be too

I think you're mad if you honestly think 35 will be enough.

2 months ago I'd have agreed. But even Wigan and Sunderland are already on 31. I think the full 40 may well be needed.

Certainly more than 35 anyway.

If we get to 38 points I'd say we have a good chance. If we break the magic 40 we'll stay up for sure.

I didn't say 35 pts would be definitly be enough, I said that it might be possible to avoid relegation with 35 pts. Reading and QPR are gone and I could easily see one of Wigan, Sunderland, Stoke or maybe Norwich struggling to put many more points on the board this season

>> 

Been very quiet of late 'VillaCas.' Wonder why that is? Your prediction of climbing the table something to do with that? - Nothing to do with that, I've been working and not had the time. From a quick look at the thread I don't seem to have missed much - You're still banging on about Diame like six months ago. I'm sure Dempsey and Berbatov will get a mention soon. Oh and Harry's doing well isn't he lol

A win against Fulham will not relax anyone and we certainly need more than three more points to do that - a win against Fulham and we are almost safe so I'll certainly be feeling a lot happier

I see your still spouting the same old rubbish.  :crylaugh:  Lambert had to build a team from scratch had he? So we had no players at the club at all before lambert arrived. Yet another stupid excuse from someone who should know better by now and i see you're now stating that although Lambert had a full pre-season to appraise what was at the club and to buy players to fit into his chosen system he then needed a further three quarters of a season to finally stumble upon the right system for the payers available to him. Really excellent stuff 'VillaCas.' The club was a complete mess when Lambert took over - since then he's weeded out the rubbish, bought through the youngsters and signed some excellent young players on manageable contracts. We are exciting to watch and on an upward trajectory. I'm more than happy with the progress

Not indulging in your idea of fantasy football at all. Just stating that we were crying out for a DM. One became available on a free and signed for the mighty West Ham while Lambert paid a fee for KEA. KEA has been poor so far but generally I'm very pleased with Lambert's transfer activity

Yes we know what wages Sissoko is on but he also commanded a fee did he not. Diame was on a free and while i don't know what his wage demands were i would hazzard a guess that they fall some way short of parity with the wage of Sissoko. Think what you like but you don't know if Diame was interested in us for one minute nor do you know what his wage demans were - Fantasy football

Shame that you can't take a little enjoyment from what is beginning to look like a very exciting young team - I'm too busy at the moment to get into a long debate with you but as you're still spouting the same tired nonsense as six months ago i'm probably not missing much

Just the usual post from you i see and from someone who has recently stated that we'll be safe on 35 points.

If in doubt, make something up. Find me the quote where I say "we will be safe on 35 points" and I'll pay £100 to VillaTalk.

You need to read that post again - I said it is so tight this season that it might be possible for someone to stay up on 35 points. Over the last 5 seasons 35 points has been enough twice, 36 once and 37 once so it's not that outlandish.

Don't worry about the money since you've been working so hard lately.

And maybe you should look at the meaning of avoid or a slightly longer word for you to understand, implication which a mod has already called 'mental!'

Give it up Morpheus, you really are clutching at straws on this one.

VillaCas clearly didn't state that we would be safe on 35 points.

There's plenty of perfectly legitimate sticks you can beat Cas with. You don't have to make ones up.

If Diame had signed and had a 3.5Million release clause, we'd be slating Paul Lambert and the board for agreeing to such a deal.

Yet you're happy to have yet another player pulling a wage on the bench who's shite? Jesus H Christ. At that rate we'd be safer bringing back O'Neill.

Give it up Morpheus, you really are clutching at straws on this one.

VillaCas clearly didn't state that we would be safe on 35 points.

There's plenty of perfectly legitimate sticks you can beat Cas with. You don't have to make ones up.

Look back in the tread and tell me a mod calling him mental for the statement he has made is making things up.

No lets ignore that and just concentrate on what avoid means?