13. Stoke £55m

14. West Ham £51m

15. West Brom £48m

16. Norwich £41m

17. Southampton £37m

18. Wigan £37m

19. Swansea £34m

20. Reading £34m

Looking at that table it's hard to imagine any of the 6 clubs above us not having added even more with signings like RVP, Hazard, Garcia, Rodwell, Lloris, Dembele, Carzola, Allen, Sturridge. While the ones below us Q.P.R., Newcastle, Sunderland, West Ham, Southampton, Reading all added significantly to their wage budget. Then you have Everton re-signing Pienaar, giving Fellaini a new deal etc, Fulham signing Berbatov, Stoke too splashed a bit of cash signing Adam, Nzonzi, Edu. With the exceptions of maybe Wigan & WBA who unlike Villa have tried to maintain their wages budgets, in my opinion, everyone else has been adding to theirs. I said at the start of the season, I expected a long tough season, we've got that, I also said I'd have taken 17th, I still would.

We spent the 7th most amount on wages and finished 16th. Things needed sorting out. Total overhaul. 

Remember too how unattractive a prospect we were in the summer, and I have a feeling, if we stay up, that we won't be the same unattractive prospect as before on account of us having totally gutted the deadwood team to sort out the financial mess, and to establish a solid foundation to build from with a progressive manager and a young team. This is what needed to happen. We could finish 16th like last year—be in exactly the same place in the table—and yet be a million miles away from being in the same bleak situation. Now we would be moving in the right direction for the first time in years.

Hoping we stay up :)

If Lambert can bring in a few more 'Benteke'-type signings from abroad, then we will be in an excellent position.

I think we just need to bring in a central defender, a central midfielder and a forward player, and we will be looking good for next year.

Reasonably priced, excellent potential, low wages until they perform at a high level. That's the way to go.

Even Lambert's 'worst' signings: KEA and Bennett haven't been total disasters.

Bennett has had many bad games, but he's started to perform more recently, has put in some decent crosses and made some good attacking runs.

KEA was good at the start of the season, but tailed off around October/ November. At worst, he will be a cheap squad player that just gives us strength in numbers.

If we beat the drop, I'll be really excited for our future under Lambert.

Lambert had options on a free but chose to spend money on KEA.

Why can you not accept the fact we couldn't afford Diames wages? This is the same reason Cuellar wasn't resigned, 45k a week.

Please please stop banging on about Collins - just because you weren't around or didn't read it for whatever reason, it's true. He was constantly causing trouble. Respected posters on here with 100% insight have confirmed this. He was a cancer. He had to go.

I've had this debate with many posters and none have answered it. You criticize Lambert for putting this defence together. He put it together with the money he was given and the wage limit he had. Who should he have gone for? and none of them are on more than 25k. Premiership footballers don't come to clubs for 25k - hence why he shopped abroad and in the lower leagues.

Also, mostly a defence is made up of 4 players, he signed 3 and wasn't given money for a fourth. He admitted in January he had targets but we couldn't afford the wages. Maybe with another CB he wanted things would have been better.

You seem to constantly beat him with this transfer stick - he really didn't have any other options with what he had to spend.

How do you know we couldn't afford Diame's wages? If we couldn't afford the wages of Diame why did we place a bid for Dempsey? We paid how much for KEA and then his wages yet you say we couldn't afford Diame on a free plus his wages. Sorry that simply doesn't wash with me.

I criticise Lambert for the quality of defence he has built not how much it cost and how the feck do you know what our wage structure is especially when Lambert has already stated that the chairman made funding available for more established players  but he choose not to go down that route in the summer.

Of course he had other options. He could have purchased better players than KEA, Bowery, Bennett, Lowton and Vlaar. Benteke is a quality signing. How much wages is he on? How much are we paying Westwood. That proves the point that he could have purchased better quality but instead has built a defence on poor quality players and we've seen that all season with Guzan having to be MOTM on several occasions.

I wish several posters on here would look at stats of this season and where we currently are before trying to defend a manager that could still relegate us. 

But you're making things up more than anyone!!!

How do you know we didn't go in for Diame? How do you know Diame didn't choose to move to London as many players do? (In fact, I'm under the impression this is what happened). Not every transfer comes off (as in actually goes through) so you don't know that the plan wasn't to strengthen more. These are deals done for millions of pounds and put players on contracts worth millions of pounds!!! You can't just throw money about—we are the perfect example of the mess that causes!!!! This is the reason why we have been struggling the last few years AND we have been losing £50 million a year, including the transfer fees we've recouped. Lambert has talked about limited budgets etc. If you can't see the logic in building a young hungry team, in the name of being a sustainable club, then I think you are literally missing the point of every decision he has made. 

Lambert by accounts also thought he had a CB in January but the guy went to Italy.

Are you comparing Benteke's and Westwood's wages? I don't get it. You know if you have a budget and you pay more for one thing it means you have to pay less for another thing? Right? 

My point was and still is now when Diame became available he was exactly what was needed at our club to cure an outstanding weakness. The player was also on a free but probably wanted wages around 40 grand plus which we may or may not have been able to pay. However he was a proven quality Premiership player.

Lambert spent a fee on KEA plus wages and when that hasn't worked out he has now purchased Sylla.

Would Lambert have not been better off purchasing a known Premiership quality player in Diame with obvious sell on value as he was on a free and paying him more in wages than buying one inexperienced player who has failed miserably and another who has still a lot to prove? Remember we are now paying two players two separate wages purchased for the same position and our midfield is still weak! 

There is no logic behind what you are saying: you are making things up! 

Maybe Diame wanted to go to West Ham!

Lets stick to reality. Sometimes players choose not to come to Villa. Transfers take months to sort out sometimes. Diame signed for West Ham on the 20th June, and Lambert signed for us on the 2nd of June. There is every possibility his move to West Ham was far along at that stage. You do make things out to be more simple than they are in reality. 

No logic in suggesting we should have signed a player that was on a free in the very position we needed?

The reality of the situation is this. While only a fool would not consider how difficult transfers can be and where the player might want to go, do you really think Diame would have chosen West Ham over us if we'd offered the same wages? Have you never heard of teams snatching players from under the noses of other teams at the last minute?

Why are we still talking about players we could of signed? Morpheous I don't want to get into this debate, but you gave a list of strikers ahead of Benteke. I think our business in January says how bad our wages are with the likes of Ireland, Bent, Given, Dunne, Hutton eating up a large slice of it for sure for literally no output.

Why are we still talking about players we could of signed? Morpheous I don't want to get into this debate, but you gave a list of strikers ahead of Benteke. I think our business in January says how bad our wages are with the likes of Ireland, Bent, Given, Dunne, Hutton eating up a large slice of it for sure for literally no output.

It really was answering within a debate with a fellow poster but it's become just as boring as beating me with the Benteke stick so i am going to leave it.

However just to get things straight i gave alternatives to Benteke when asked to in a period when Benteke's form was poor. Those alternatives with the exception of one are doing quite well at the moment.

Edited by Morpheus

It really was answering within a debate with a fellow poster but it's become just as boring as beating me with the Benteke stick so i am going to leave it.

However just to get things straight i gave alternatives to Benteke when asked to in a period when Benteke's form was poor. Those alternatives with the exception of one are doing quite well at the moment.

Not beating you with anything, you did that yourself. The point is I agree with you we should have gone in for Diame, but talking about it like 7 months later is just ridiculous. Remember Diame has a 3.5million release clause, What did PL say about wanting committed players, could you imagine how the talks would have gone with PL if he said i'll sign but i want a release clause of 3.5million.

Why can you not accept the fact we couldn't afford Diames wages? This is the same reason Cuellar wasn't resigned, 45k a week.

Please please stop banging on about Collins - just because you weren't around or didn't read it for whatever reason, it's true. He was constantly causing trouble. Respected posters on here with 100% insight have confirmed this. He was a cancer. He had to go.

I've had this debate with many posters and none have answered it. You criticize Lambert for putting this defence together. He put it together with the money he was given and the wage limit he had. Who should he have gone for? and none of them are on more than 25k. Premiership footballers don't come to clubs for 25k - hence why he shopped abroad and in the lower leagues.

Also, mostly a defence is made up of 4 players, he signed 3 and wasn't given money for a fourth. He admitted in January he had targets but we couldn't afford the wages. Maybe with another CB he wanted things would have been better.

You seem to constantly beat him with this transfer stick - he really didn't have any other options with what he had to spend.

How do you know we couldn't afford Diame's wages? If we couldn't afford the wages of Diame why did we place a bid for Dempsey? We paid how much for KEA and then his wages yet you say we couldn't afford Diame on a free plus his wages. Sorry that simply doesn't wash with me.

I criticise Lambert for the quality of defence he has built not how much it cost and how the feck do you know what our wage structure is especially when Lambert has already stated that the chairman made funding available for more established players  but he choose not to go down that route in the summer.

Of course he had other options. He could have purchased better players than KEA, Bowery, Bennett, Lowton and Vlaar. Benteke is a quality signing. How much wages is he on? How much are we paying Westwood. That proves the point that he could have purchased better quality but instead has built a defence on poor quality players and we've seen that all season with Guzan having to be MOTM on several occasions.

I wish several posters on here would look at stats of this season and where we currently are before trying to defend a manager that could still relegate us. 

How do you know we didn't go in for Diame? How do you know Diame didn't choose to move to London as many players do? (In fact, I'm under the impression this is what happened). Not every transfer comes off (as in actually goes through) so you don't know that the plan wasn't to strengthen more. These are deals done for millions of pounds and put players on contracts worth millions of pounds!!! You can't just throw money about—we are the perfect example of the mess that causes!!!! This is the reason why we have been struggling the last few years AND we have been losing £50 million a year, including the transfer fees we've recouped. Lambert has talked about limited budgets etc. If you can't see the logic in building a young hungry team, in the name of being a sustainable club, then I think you are literally missing the point of every decision he has made. 

Lambert by accounts also thought he had a CB in January but the guy went to Italy.

Are you comparing Benteke's and Westwood's wages? I don't get it. You know if you have a budget and you pay more for one thing it means you have to pay less for another thing? Right? 

My point was and still is now when Diame became available he was exactly what was needed at our club to cure an outstanding weakness. The player was also on a free but probably wanted wages around 40 grand plus which we may or may not have been able to pay. However he was a proven quality Premiership player.

Lambert spent a fee on KEA plus wages and when that hasn't worked out he has now purchased Sylla.

Would Lambert have not been better off purchasing a known Premiership quality player in Diame with obvious sell on value as he was on a free and paying him more in wages than buying one inexperienced player who has failed miserably and another who has still a lot to prove? Remember we are now paying two players two separate wages purchased for the same position and our midfield is still weak! 

Lets stick to reality. Sometimes players choose not to come to Villa. Transfers take months to sort out sometimes. Diame signed for West Ham on the 20th June, and Lambert signed for us on the 2nd of June. There is every possibility his move to West Ham was far along at that stage. You do make things out to be more simple than they are in reality. 

No logic in suggesting we should have signed a player that was on a free in the very position we needed?

The reality of the situation is this. While only a fool would not consider how difficult transfers can be and where the player might want to go, do you really think Diame would have chosen West Ham over us if we'd offered the same wages? Have you never heard of teams snatching players from under the noses of other teams at the last minute?

Again totally ignoring the wages issue. It was never going to happen. Yet you still slate him for not signing him.

Been very quiet of late 'VillaCas.' Wonder why that is? Your prediction of climbing the table something to do with that? - Nothing to do with that, I've been working and not had the time. From a quick look at the thread I don't seem to have missed much - You're still banging on about Diame like six months ago. I'm sure Dempsey and Berbatov will get a mention soon. Oh and Harry's doing well isn't he lol

A win against Fulham will not relax anyone and we certainly need more than three more points to do that - a win against Fulham and we are almost safe so I'll certainly be feeling a lot happier

I see your still spouting the same old rubbish.  :crylaugh:  Lambert had to build a team from scratch had he? So we had no players at the club at all before lambert arrived. Yet another stupid excuse from someone who should know better by now and i see you're now stating that although Lambert had a full pre-season to appraise what was at the club and to buy players to fit into his chosen system he then needed a further three quarters of a season to finally stumble upon the right system for the payers available to him. Really excellent stuff 'VillaCas.' The club was a complete mess when Lambert took over - since then he's weeded out the rubbish, bought through the youngsters and signed some excellent young players on manageable contracts. We are exciting to watch and on an upward trajectory. I'm more than happy with the progress

Not indulging in your idea of fantasy football at all. Just stating that we were crying out for a DM. One became available on a free and signed for the mighty West Ham while Lambert paid a fee for KEA. KEA has been poor so far but generally I'm very pleased with Lambert's transfer activity

Yes we know what wages Sissoko is on but he also commanded a fee did he not. Diame was on a free and while i don't know what his wage demands were i would hazzard a guess that they fall some way short of parity with the wage of Sissoko. Think what you like but you don't know if Diame was interested in us for one minute nor do you know what his wage demans were - Fantasy football

Shame that you can't take a little enjoyment from what is beginning to look like a very exciting young team - I'm too busy at the moment to get into a long debate with you but as you're still spouting the same tired nonsense as six months ago i'm probably not missing much

Not beating you with anything, you did that yourself. The point is I agree with you we should have gone in for Diame, but talking about it like 7 months later is just ridiculous. Remember Diame has a 3.5million release clause, What did PL say about wanting committed players, could you imagine how the talks would have gone with PL if he said i'll sign but i want a release clause of 3.5million.

If you're not trying to score points mate why mention benteke?

I see you are having difficulty in reading so i'll state it again. I mentioned Diame in relation to a debate with another poster. Got it now or do you need it put in bold?

Been very quiet of late 'VillaCas.' Wonder why that is? Your prediction of climbing the table something to do with that? - Nothing to do with that, I've been working and not had the time. From a quick look at the thread I don't seem to have missed much - You're still banging on about Diame like six months ago. I'm sure Dempsey and Berbatov will get a mention soon. Oh and Harry's doing well isn't he lol

A win against Fulham will not relax anyone and we certainly need more than three more points to do that - a win against Fulham and we are almost safe so I'll certainly be feeling a lot happier

I see your still spouting the same old rubbish.  :crylaugh:  Lambert had to build a team from scratch had he? So we had no players at the club at all before lambert arrived. Yet another stupid excuse from someone who should know better by now and i see you're now stating that although Lambert had a full pre-season to appraise what was at the club and to buy players to fit into his chosen system he then needed a further three quarters of a season to finally stumble upon the right system for the payers available to him. Really excellent stuff 'VillaCas.' The club was a complete mess when Lambert took over - since then he's weeded out the rubbish, bought through the youngsters and signed some excellent young players on manageable contracts. We are exciting to watch and on an upward trajectory. I'm more than happy with the progress

Not indulging in your idea of fantasy football at all. Just stating that we were crying out for a DM. One became available on a free and signed for the mighty West Ham while Lambert paid a fee for KEA. KEA has been poor so far but generally I'm very pleased with Lambert's transfer activity

Yes we know what wages Sissoko is on but he also commanded a fee did he not. Diame was on a free and while i don't know what his wage demands were i would hazzard a guess that they fall some way short of parity with the wage of Sissoko. Think what you like but you don't know if Diame was interested in us for one minute nor do you know what his wage demans were - Fantasy football

Shame that you can't take a little enjoyment from what is beginning to look like a very exciting young team - I'm too busy at the moment to get into a long debate with you but as you're still spouting the same tired nonsense as six months ago i'm probably not missing much

Just the usual post from you i see and from someone who has recently stated that we'll be safe on 35 points.

Again totally ignoring the wages issue. It was never going to happen. Yet you still slate him for not signing him.

Read my above statement "while only a fool would not consider how difficult transfers can be." Not exactly ignoring the wage issue and i have also stated that currently we are paying two wages for Lambert's choice of DM. Again not exactly ignoring the wage issue so is there anything else?

Just the usual post from you i see and from someone who has recently stated that we'll be safe on 35 points.

If in doubt, make something up. Find me the quote where I say "we will be safe on 35 points" and I'll pay £100 to VillaTalk.

You need to read that post again - I said it is so tight this season that it might be possible for someone to stay up on 35 points. Over the last 5 seasons 35 points has been enough twice, 36 once and 37 once so it's not that outlandish.

Edited by VillaCas

This the same Diame who was anonymous at Villa Park a few weeks ago and playing for a West Ham team in diabolical form

A West Ham team that has just drawn and should have beaten Liverpool.

Diame has been consistently one of West Ham's better players and would you agree that they are safe from the drop while we....?

Who would be a better option for our midfield alongside Westwood. KEA, Sylla, or Diame?

I think we'll need the full 40pts this season. Everyone around us is picking up points and of the ones who are struggling, I would expect Stoke and Sunderland to do something between now and the end of the season. Form is temporary and they'll break out of it sooner or later. We've won 3 in 4 and yet we're still only 2pts off the drop. If we can beat Fulham then I'll begin to breathe more easily but that game is far from a sure thing. They're playing very well and we're crap at home. But given next week's fixtures, if we did beat them then I think we'd find ourselves quite far from the relegation zone with our rivals having mostly tripped up.

1) "I think we'll need the full 40pts this season" - No way will we need 40 pts this season - It looks so tight that it might be possible to avoid relegation with as low as 35 pts this time round

2) "Everyone around us is picking up points" - No they're not. Stoke have picked up 1 from the last 15, Stoke 2 from the last 15 and Norwich 3 from the last 15. They're all dropping like stones

3) "Form is temporary" - the rest of this quote is "...and class is permanent" Stoke, Sunderland and Norwich are not class teams, they're below average journeymen

4) "they'll break out of it sooner or later" - based on what

We're not out the woods yet, but a win against Fulham and we can begin to relax. That would put us 3 points behind Fulham with five to play, so if as you say "they're playing very well", on that basis we must be too

I think you're mad if you honestly think 35 will be enough.

2 months ago I'd have agreed. But even Wigan and Sunderland are already on 31. I think the full 40 may well be needed.

Certainly more than 35 anyway.

If we get to 38 points I'd say we have a good chance. If we break the magic 40 we'll stay up for sure.

I didn't say 35 pts would be definitly be enough, I said that it might be possible to avoid relegation with 35 pts. Reading and QPR are gone and I could easily see one of Wigan, Sunderland, Stoke or maybe Norwich struggling to put many more points on the board this season

If in doubt, make something up. Find me the quote where I say "we will be safe on 35 points" and I'll pay £100 to VillaTalk.

You need to read that post again - I said it is so tight this season that it might be possible for someone to stay up on 35 points. Over the last 5 seasons 35 points has been enough twice, 36 once and 37 once so it's not that outlandish.

Look at your above post. "No way will we need 40pts this season. It looks so tight that it might be possible to avoid relegation with as low as 35pts this time round."

Avoid and safe pretty much means the same thing in the context you were using it but then when challenged by a few posters you've tried to retract it as you usually do.

Don't worry about the money since you've been working so hard lately.

should have beaten? did you watch it? they had 1 shot all game

He has played regularly in their poor run at the moment of 2 wins in 10 games. 

Ok rather than debating the merits of the Spam West Ham game and ignoring that West Ham are pretty much safe with Diame in midfield would you rather have KEA, Sylla who we are paying two wages, or Diame?

I think we'll need the full 40pts this season. Everyone around us is picking up points and of the ones who are struggling, I would expect Stoke and Sunderland to do something between now and the end of the season. Form is temporary and they'll break out of it sooner or later. We've won 3 in 4 and yet we're still only 2pts off the drop. If we can beat Fulham then I'll begin to breathe more easily but that game is far from a sure thing. They're playing very well and we're crap at home. But given next week's fixtures, if we did beat them then I think we'd find ourselves quite far from the relegation zone with our rivals having mostly tripped up.

1) "I think we'll need the full 40pts this season" - No way will we need 40 pts this season - It looks so tight that it might be possible to avoid relegation with as low as 35 pts this time round

2) "Everyone around us is picking up points" - No they're not. Stoke have picked up 1 from the last 15, Stoke 2 from the last 15 and Norwich 3 from the last 15. They're all dropping like stones

3) "Form is temporary" - the rest of this quote is "...and class is permanent" Stoke, Sunderland and Norwich are not class teams, they're below average journeymen

4) "they'll break out of it sooner or later" - based on what

We're not out the woods yet, but a win against Fulham and we can begin to relax. That would put us 3 points behind Fulham with five to play, so if as you say "they're playing very well", on that basis we must be too

I think you're mad if you honestly think 35 will be enough.

2 months ago I'd have agreed. But even Wigan and Sunderland are already on 31. I think the full 40 may well be needed.

Certainly more than 35 anyway.

If we get to 38 points I'd say we have a good chance. If we break the magic 40 we'll stay up for sure.

I didn't say 35 pts would be definitly be enough, I said that it might be possible to avoid relegation with 35 pts. Reading and QPR are gone and I could easily see one of Wigan, Sunderland, Stoke or maybe Norwich struggling to put many more points on the board this season

Look at your above post. "No way will we need 40pts this season. It looks so tight that it might be possible to avoid relegation with as low as 35pts this time round."

Avoid and safe pretty much means the same thing in the context you were using it but then when challenged by a few posters you've tried to retract it as you usually do.

Don't worry about the money since you've been working so hard lately.

Maybe you should look up the words might and possible. Especially when they're put together.

should have beaten? did you watch it? they had 1 shot all game

He has played regularly in their poor run at the moment of 2 wins in 10 games. 

Ok rather than debating the merits of the Spam West Ham game and ignoring that West Ham are pretty much safe with Diame in midfield would you rather have KEA, Sylla who we are paying two wages, or Diame?

We're probably paying less in wages to those two combined than Diame gets on his own from wham. And I for one am quite excited by Sylla so far. Looks like he can be a really good player in the future. KEA has been a disappointment so far.