Paul Lambert

Pilchard

No-one can argue how long the season is and in very much the same way there's no getting away from the fact that this season has been our worst start ever, period!

You could nevertheless argue that our poor start to the season is due to new players and manager becoming accustomed to one another and there is scope to think that once the team and manager gel then results will improve.

My concern is this. Reflecting on our fixture list coming up, that improvement needs to be massive to start picking up points and if we fail to do that then the pressure will grow on our new players and it would be less likely for those players to settle.

I genuinely think there are more reasons for concern than hopeful optimism at the moment.

maybe u would like to point out our improvements results wise as we sit with 5 points from 7 resulting in our worst ever premier league start?

I'll have a go

Away Vs West Ham we lost 1-0. No comparison to last season, but against a different promoted team, Norwich , we lost 2-0 away. (no difference on points)

Home vs Everton this season lost 3-1, last season drew 1-1 (down 1 point)

Away vs Newcastle this season drew 1-1, last season lost 2-1 (Up 1 point)

Home vs Swansea we won 2-0, last season we lost 2-0 (Up 3 points)

Away vs Southampton lost 4-1. No comparison, but against another promoted team, QPR, we drew 1-1 last season (down 1 point)

Home vs West Brom drew 1-1, last season we lost 2-1 (Up 1 point)

Away vs Tottenham, lost 2-0, last season we lost 2-0 (No change on points)

So, if you compare our results this season against the results against the same teams last season (where possible, I've been a little creative with promoted/relegated teams) we're actually 3 points better off than last season.

Yep. i'd expect us to beat Norwich. They're really poor, and add to it being Lambert's ex club and I think we'll beat them might be different if we were playing away)

Fulham will be tough though.

maybe u would like to point out our improvements results wise as we sit with 5 points from 7 resulting in our worst ever premier league start?

I posted this on page 42:

Lambert West Ham away 1-0 loss

Mcleish Swansea (play off winners) away 0-0 draw

Lambert Everton home 1-3 loss

Mcleish Everton home 1-1 draw

Lambert Newcastle away 1-1 draw

Mcleish Newcastle away 2-1 loss

Lambert Swansea home 2-0 win

Mcleish Swansea home 0-2 loss

Lambert Southampton away 4-1 loss

Mcleish Norwich away (promoted in 2nd place) 2-0 loss

Lambert WBA home 1-1 draw

Mcleish WBA home 1-2 loss

Lambert Spurs away 2-0 loss

Mcleish Spurs away 2-0 loss

2012/13 Lambert PL Games 7 W 1 D 2 L 4 Pts 5

2011/12 McLeish PL Games 7 W 0 D 2 L 5 Pts 2

Or, if you wanted to compare directly with teams the played in both seasons, swapping Premier League bottom 3 with Championship top 3 gives:

Mcleish Wolves away 2-3 win

Mcleish Blackburn away 1-1 draw

2011/12 McLeish PL Games 7 W 1 D 2 L 4 Pts 5

Glad to be rid but he does seem to be having a very good season for the Hammers. More power to him.

Jaaskelainen has made most saves in Premier LEague. Collins has been quite poor in games ive seen him and still a liability :D

Or, if you wanted to compare directly with teams the played in both seasons, swapping Premier League bottom 3 with Championship top 3 gives:

Mcleish Wolves away 2-3 win

Mcleish Blackburn away 1-1 draw

2011/12 McLeish PL Games 7 W 1 D 2 L 4 Pts 5

That method of comparison is more reasonable than the very misleading stats published by "chappy" above but it's coming to something if we have to celebrate that Lambert isn't doing any worse than Mcleish FFS. :angry:

The point about the length of the season is this. If this was the "worst last 7 games to a season, ever", no=one would really care, they would focus on where we finished. If it was the "worst 7 games around Christmas ever", then again, no-one would give a monkeys, except perhaps expressing some concern over our form. The worst start ever thing only attracts column inches because people have nothing else to measure it against. So its not even objective, its just a meaningless stat. it would be more meaningful to say "Im concerned about our form". If you said that, you'd find most people in agreement.

• Like 1

That method of comparison is more reasonable than the very misleading stats published by "chappy" above but it's coming to something if we have to celebrate that Lambert isn't doing any worse than Mcleish FFS. :angry:

Neither method is more reasonable; both are massively flawed! As I said when I originally posted this: you can manipulate stats to prove whatever you like, and there is no point comparing Lambert with Mcleish because the former is doing such a clearly better job.

I must be deluded, as I think we are doing pretty well.

I thought we were the better side against Spurs until the goal - despite the London medias qwierd version of the game.

I thought we were the better side against Newcastle, Swansea, and Man City

I thought we were ok for a half against Southampton, and a second half against Everton.

So lucky me I'm not at all concened.

I think the difference in our style, set up, hunger, and ambition, was huge between Spurs away last year and this, if Benteke had scored we could easily have gone on to win.

I don't think the squad is anywhere near as poor as some think, and I thank God we didnt try the same old rehashed names , as QPR have for example.

I love PL's approach, and I have no doubt it will pay off.

We are at a very very early stage for all this panic.

...concurred