Paul Lambert

Pilchard

Yet they throw money around to the letter of tens of a millions a summer.

Money they've earned, not been given or loaned unlike us or Barcelona or almost any other club

They have every right to spend their money. I'd love for us to earn money and spend it on quality players

Can you summarise it for me? I don't mind a bit of a read, but that much on a club I don't particularly care about is a bit much :P

Btw, I'm genuinely interested. I just presumed they were another bankrolled super club. :)

Haha yeah it's quite the text but well worth the read when you have the time.

Bayern’s commercial revenue of €178 million is the highest in Europe

According to Hoeness, Bayern will have an additional €20-30 million a year to spend on transfers once the stadium debt is repaid. Some people are under the impression that Bayern have no debt, which is indeed the case for the football club, as confirmed by Hopfner, “We can state without reservation that the AG has no debts or bank liabilities whatsoever.” However, the group does have debt from the Allianz Arena company, which was used to finance the €346 million needed to build the stadium.

22%2BBayern%2BDebt.jpg

As the full accounts have not yet been published, we only know that total liabilities (bank debt, trade creditors and other creditors) decreased by €65 million from €243 million to €178 million, but it is reasonable to assume that bank debt has similarly come down by a substantial amount.

At the 2010 AGM, Hopfner informed the shareholders that €176 million had already been repaid: €90 million from Allianz itself with the remainder being funded by Adidas’ equity injection. According to Rummenigge, the €90 million investment from Audi was also largely going to be used as repayments on the Allianz Arena, “so our stadium will be free of debt considerably earlier than originally planned.” Hoeness has said that this should be achieved within six to seven years.

Bayern’s liquidity has already improved from €64 million to €129 million in 2011, so the club’s balance sheet is in great shape, encouraging Hoeness to brag, “When we’ve paid off the debt for the stadium, we’ll be the richest club in Europe.”

23%2BMuller%2B2.jpg

"Müller - Tommy gun"

They have equity of €268 million, which actually under-states their assets, as players are only shown at net book value in the accounts. In 2010, this equated to €83 million, while the market value is clearly higher. The respected website Transfermarkt has this at €360 million, though some values seem on the high side, e.g. €42 million for Mario Gómez.

A club as well run as Bayern should be one of the main beneficiaries of UEFA’s Financial Fair Play regulations, which encourage clubs to live within their means. Indeed, at the AGM Hopfner stated, “We have more than met UEFA’s financial fair play criteria.” Hoeness added that FFP would be “good for clubs such as Bayern and Arsenal, who are financially proper and make profits.”

Sorry for going off topic btw but The Swiss ramble really is by far the best football writer out there and if you havn't read his text on Villa (from last season) here it is:

http://swissramble.blogspot.se/search/label/Aston%20Villa

Edited by sne

I like the idea of Lambert taking ideas from the Dortmund approach, I think they are excellent. Good times ahead hopefully.

I just think this 'Lets be the new Dortmund' mentality has gone too far now.

What with Lamberts new music video and everything.

BQ34OcD.png

Edited by HalfTimePost
  • Like 1

Whatever you can say about Lambert, at least he is making Villa interesting again. Last season under Mcleish was so,so, so dull. Like Pink Floyd would say, it was comfortably numb for us. Granted some of this season really hurt, but that is because we care about this side. You can see what Lambert and the players are trying to do, unlike last season team full of old pros looking for a easy life at Villa. 15th can never been seen as a good season but I hope Lambert has helped create the foundations for something exciting and progressive at Villa in the years to come. I am looking forward to August. I havent thought like that for years at Villa.

I am not so sure I agree to that sentiment. We didn't exactly play good football last season, barring a few games, and we are incredibly lackluster when we are trying to create an attack. It's mostly counter-attacks or coincidences, we seldom pass the ball through or cross it for a goal. Of course I am looking forward to the next season, especially as we are in the Premier League, but I doubt we are going to catch anyone's eyes. Our defensive setup is poor at best and that is not just the quality of our defenders, and when you score a measly 47 goals on top of that there is going to be a hard quest changing it.

Here's for hoping we have some cash and that Lambert can follow up the purchase of Benteke and not KEA/Bennett. 

I am not so sure I agree to that sentiment. We didn't exactly play good football last season, barring a few games, and we are incredibly lackluster when we are trying to create an attack

You don't go from playing the garbage we did under McLeish to playing like Barcelona overnight. It'll be at least 2 more years before things really start to come together on the footballing front. What's evident is that we're building towards that though. We're TRYING to play it the right way. Succeeding in that task won't happen until 1) the right players are brought in, 2) the players who are already there become more comfortable with the system, 3) the kids coming through are coached the exact same system top to bottom throughout the club

Whatever you can say about Lambert, at least he is making Villa interesting again. Last season under Mcleish was so,so, so dull. Like Pink Floyd would say, it was comfortably numb for us. Granted some of this season really hurt, but that is because we care about this side. You can see what Lambert and the players are trying to do, unlike last season team full of old pros looking for a easy life at Villa. 15th can never been seen as a good season but I hope Lambert has helped create the foundations for something exciting and progressive at Villa in the years to come. I am looking forward to August. I havent thought like that for years at Villa.

I am not so sure I agree to that sentiment. We didn't exactly play good football last season, barring a few games, and we are incredibly lackluster when we are trying to create an attack. It's mostly counter-attacks or coincidences, we seldom pass the ball through or cross it for a goal. Of course I am looking forward to the next season, especially as we are in the Premier League, but I doubt we are going to catch anyone's eyes. Our defensive setup is poor at best and that is not just the quality of our defenders, and when you score a measly 47 goals on top of that there is going to be a hard quest changing it.

Here's for hoping we have some cash and that Lambert can follow up the purchase of Benteke and not KEA/Bennett. 

Eh- did you watch the Sunderland game? Granted they also put in awful, awful peformance but at times they played some great stuff.

How lucky we would all be if you managed the club. Charlie Adam, Dimitar Berbatov, and championship football. Probably should add administration to the list as well.

One would assume that the death of his father was one of the main reasons why Adam's form suffered this season.

Berbatov was arguably Fulham's best player this season and scored 15-16 goals in the process.

The Championship and Administration dig i take is in reference to Redknapp? That one is fair enough and one which i'll accept as i've stated elsewhere that i will not defend Redknapp further and explained why in the QPR thread.

No, we all probably wouldn't be lucky enough to have me managing the club but that shouldn't stop me from putting forward an opinion at the start of the season concerning Lambert and his transfer policy that has been, by and large, vindicated.

Lambert for the first 4-5 months didn't do a good job at all. He had a lot to turn around but he couldn't find a team that best suited the teams qualities, 3-5-2 overall was dysmal, while earlier on in the season, a narrow diamond type shape in the midfield also didn't work. I think both formations lacked width and pace in those channel areas. Since february, that midfield base of Westwood and Delph has been excellent and Gabby, Weimann and Benteke as a front three have been exceptional. Pace, power, energy, hard work and a touch of class from Benteke which has helped bring the best out of Gabby especially. Sylla/N'Zogbia shared fairly equal game time as the 3rd midfielder, I think generally we've looked better with Sylla in there and almost a fairly negative midfield three, all comfortable on the ball and all good defensively but none of which are going to score or create a significant amount of goals, while N'Zogbia arguably may be too much of a luxury to have in that position. If we can keep onto our best players and Lambert sticks with what's been working at the back end of the season and can add in each area of the pitch, left sided defence and a midfielder who can score and create goals (I know, difficult) then next year is going to be really exciting.

Lambert for the first 4-5 months didn't do a good job at all. He had a lot to turn around but he couldn't find a team that best suited the teams qualities, 3-5-2 overall was dysmal, while earlier on in the season, a narrow diamond type shape in the midfield also didn't work. I think both formations lacked width and pace in those channel areas. Since february, that midfield base of Westwood and Delph has been excellent and Gabby, Weimann and Benteke as a front three have been exceptional. Pace, power, energy, hard work and a touch of class from Benteke which has helped bring the best out of Gabby especially. Sylla/N'Zogbia shared fairly equal game time as the 3rd midfielder, I think generally we've looked better with Sylla in there and almost a fairly negative midfield three, all comfortable on the ball and all good defensively but none of which are going to score or create a significant amount of goals, while N'Zogbia arguably may be too much of a luxury to have in that position. If we can keep onto our best players and Lambert sticks with what's been working at the back end of the season and can add in each area of the pitch, left sided defence and a midfielder who can score and create goals (I know, difficult) then next year is going to be really exciting.

Well, maybe it's easy with hindsight to judge what PL was trying to do at the start of the season? He was trying all the time to find a system that best suited the personnel, personally i'm glad he has the balls to do that and fail than be one of those managers who has his formation and plays it regardless, only buying players to fit to make it work. It was a process of his thinking, the players responding to his coaching, players coming into form/fitness/back from injury that meant he COULD play westwood and deplh in order for them to come good togehter as a pair. certainly took delph a few games in a row to play himself in to thte form of the end of the season, and that's just one example. the 3-5-2 came about mostly because of injury (we had 1 fit CB at one point). although personally i think we could play three at the back with everyone fit and confident and play it well, just a 3-4-3. using the current front 3.

I'd also prefer him not to just stick with what was working the back end of last season for the sake of it either, if he sees ways we can evolve as a team then i'm all for it! he changes his tactics for each different opposition team even in the 4-3-3, overloading one side or another etc. so it's not a massive leap from there to a change in formation if the players available suit it and it'll be more effective against the opposition. last thing i want is MON syndrome where we can only beat teams on the counter and have no plan b. although finishing 6th 3 times on the bounce would be lovely :)

• Like 1

Well, maybe it's easy with hindsight to judge what PL was trying to do at the start of the season? He was trying all the time to find a system that best suited the personnel, personally i'm glad he has the balls to do that and fail than be one of those managers who has his formation and plays it regardless, only buying players to fit to make it work. It was a process of his thinking, the players responding to his coaching, players coming into form/fitness/back from injury that meant he COULD play westwood and deplh in order for them to come good togehter as a pair. certainly took delph a few games in a row to play himself in to thte form of the end of the season, and that's just one example. the 3-5-2 came about mostly because of injury (we had 1 fit CB at one point). although personally i think we could play three at the back with everyone fit and confident and play it well, just a 3-4-3. using the current front 3.

I'd prefer us to play more than 10 players at once, but what the hey, I have faith! haha

Edited by danjmorris93

last thing i want is MON syndrome where we can only beat teams on the counter and have no plan b. although finishing 6th 3 times on the bounce would be lovely :)

Really? That's the last thing you'd want? We were a **** good side under MON - you highlighted as much at the end of your post. The amount of people who don't appreciate the fact that we were a team that was feared and respected for the first time in a hell of a long time, astounds me. 

• Like 2

last thing i want is MON syndrome where we can only beat teams on the counter and have no plan b. although finishing 6th 3 times on the bounce would be lovely :)

Really? That's the last thing you'd want? We were a **** good side under MON - you highlighted as much at the end of your post. The amount of people who don't appreciate the fact that we were a team that was feared and respected for the first time in a hell of a long time, astounds me. 

Not only that.Teams did not want to come to Villa Park, now they look forward to it ?!

He said he wanted to change the tactics and style of football. MON football was effective but crap, horrible to watch and predictable especially when teams camped at Villa park and we struggled to break them down and we seemed to always have better away record under him

That's just it, playing counter attacking football against Arsenal, Chelsea & Liverpool is all well and good. But when Stoke come to Villa Park and put 11 men behind the ball it's truly abysmal to watch. We need to be able to play multiple styles of football if we want to be a success. We're pretty decent on the counter already, i'd like to see an emphases on simple "pass and move" next season.

• Like 1