Paul Lambert

Pilchard

I am so full of optimism right now, I am going to make to a bold prediction. I reckon that, if Paul Lambert stays at Villa for the next 5 years and we don't get relegated this season, by the end of that period he will have us playing in Europe again, maybe even Champions League if given sufficient funding. He has that Dortmund way of thinking and it seems to be serving them well so maybe there's a mentality in him that needs to be admired.

I've had my doubts about him but I've always really wanted it to work out for him. I think that's the case with most fans really.

I think some of the signings have been terrific value for money, and I've been pleased by our attacking approach for the most part. The Bradford debacle - if Lambert goes on to not win anything as Villa manager - will always hurt me badly, but he has reignited some of the passion that I believe waned a bit under McLeish. It has been fantastic to be in the crowd this season when the late Benteke, Lowton and Agbonlahor goals went in against QPR, Stoke and Norwich... I can't remember feelings like that at all last year.

I do believe there are parallels between Lambert's time so far at Villa and Moyes' early tenure at Everton. IF we manage to survive this season - still a big IF - then I would be very positive about the future under Lambert. The most positive I've felt about Villa since when Lerner and O'Neill first came in.

I have belief that Lambert could do better than O'Neill because he is trying to install a modern high energy team the modern way, and so far it is financially sustainable.

Just for kicks, lets imagine we bring in someone solid in the back and a good midfielder next season, which place are we looking at?

I still think we could do a lot better than Delph. Bennett looks more of an attacking winger than a defending fullback. Vlaar seems a good leader but gets caught out badly too often for my liking. The rest are fine.

I am beginning to change my opinion on Delph (shows what I know about football I guess).I was never his biggest fan but in recent weeks (as with all the team) I am warming to him.I think him & Westwood work excellent as a pair and on many occasions on Saturday,I thought they were hunting in the proverbial "pack",chasing,grafting,harassing,closing down & winning the ball.With the front 3 we have,the onus on midfielders to chalk up goals is not as great.

What I would like to see is a Sissco type midfielder playing in front of Delph & Westwood

I see something in Bennet that I like & would want to keep him.I wouldn't start with him though so a new left back would be nice,as well as an experienced central midfielder to partener Vlaar.

Those 3 changes would really compliment what Lambert is building and would give us the ability to defend under pressure-Something we have not done for long periods of this season.

More points already than we achieved last season & far better football to watch.I think most of us agree,its still very much a work in progress but there are certainly positive signs & people are feeling optimistic about our future again.

Love the fact that he celebrated our goal even though we were at Norwich, with their history etc. It's not that he wanted to rub it in their faces, he just loved that we scored obviously. No reason in hiding the fact that we desperately needed that goal given the Wigan resurgence at WBA. Let's hope WBA rectify against Norwich this weekend, by just getting a point, and we are suddenly safe since Norwich to to Etihad on the last day of the season :)

Delph whilst he has improved alot still runs around like a headless chicken, I also agree we can do better than Delph.. nothing against him but if we are to climb up that table we need Delph to be used in rotation and not start every game.

I think Delph would be a decent squad player for now, but I wouldn't mind someone new coming to to take his place in our first line-up. Meaning, I think we can do a lot better in that area.

I don't think Delph is anywhere near his highest potential, in comparison to someone like BB.

He needs to be a little more confident in front of goal because he's scored some crackers for Leeds and I think he just needs a little confidence to really be a threat.

Sylla has mostly had good games for us I think, Delph up until the last few months has had a completely dreadful Villa career in my opinion, so if I had to pick I'd go with Sylla.

Delph and Sylla. I haven't seen anything of Sylla on the ball to suggest he is anywhere near as good as Delph myself. He's a better tackler yes!

Why? Is Delph good on the ball like?

• Like 1

and we all knew this season was a clear out and rebuild season didn't we?!?!?!

In all fairness every season is a "rebuild season" for us.. we are probably the only club in the premier league that goes through a "transitional season" every year.

I hope this isn't the case next season but I can hear those words being belted out by Villa HQ during the transfer window and next season.

Arsenal ;)

but I agree but I think this is last transition year for a while