Paul Lambert

Pilchard

I don't know if it's his style or manner but I just watched the Ipswich press conference on AVTV and I was a bit disappointed. When asked about the January window, he said that he always said that January was a hard window and that he wouldn't be getting players in for the sake of it. He went on to say that "we will wait and see" what we can do. It's not as though the transfer window was announced out of the blue. Surely the club needs a plan before the 1st January and we should not be adopting a reactive 'wait and see' approach, especially in our perilous position.

Either Lambert is keeping his cards close to his chest or there is no plan (and that wouldn't be surprising). I guess we will see over the next few weeks.

People reading too much into thing shocker!

There's alot of games over ths period and I think that is Lamberts priority.

Chill the **** out.

I know that I shouldn't be feeding someone with your attitude but...

The window did not come out of the blue. The busy Christmas period did not come out of the blue either. A plan needed to be made and his press conference didn't give fans any indication that one was in place. He actually said at one point that he would sit down with the staff and see what we'll do. That meeting should have taken place before the window opened. As I said, maybe it's his style and manner that's at fault and he has it all figured out but it doesn't come across very well.

Sorry to just slice a small section of your post to comment on but this piece intrigued me.

Now forgive me for being a bit cynical but he only joined in June and probably didn't even know that he was going to be Villa manager until then so there is a good chance that he didn't have a 'long term' plan for us at all and that the 'long term' plan is actually that of Randy Lerner's and Paul Lambert accepted to roll with it.

I don't know if it's his style or manner but I just watched the Ipswich press conference on AVTV and I was a bit disappointed. When asked about the January window, he said that he always said that January was a hard window and that he wouldn't be getting players in for the sake of it. He went on to say that "we will wait and see" what we can do. It's not as though the transfer window was announced out of the blue. Surely the club needs a plan before the 1st January and we should not be adopting a reactive 'wait and see' approach, especially in our perilous position.

Lambert seems to have a long-term approach, based on developing a squad of younger, cheaper, better value players who want to play for the club. Some other managers seem more short-term in outlook, being happy to get in big names on high wages.

That approach fits better with what Lerner is probably trying to do than someone like, say, Redknapp. Lerner seems to be trying to find the best and most achievable way out of a mess more than this being part of a deliberate strategy, or at least it's a very different approach to his first couple of years.

Whatever Lambert says in press conferences will be fairly guarded responses to often trite questions. It's not the time or the place to set out big plans, or disclose your intentions in great depth. Drawing conclusions from non-committal responses to questions about possible signings would be a mistake. He's been asked a question, he has to say something, so he makes a general comment. Him saying "we'll wait and see" doesn't mean he has a reactive approach, so much as being a way of saying "I don't think I'm going to discuss that in detail, thanks".

Lambert must have known what he was coming in to at the Villa. He had a safe and secure job at Norwich. When Villa approached him he would have sat down with Lerner and Faulkner and discussed what strategy would be in place going forward. He would have had to have thought about the job before saying yes to us. I am guessing that during that process, and after seeing the guys when he started taking training, that he would have planned his approach to managing us.

We've had this debate before AvfcRigo82 and rather than going around in the proverbial circle again i will ask you one question. With our present team, when do you forsee stability for the club in that we won't be struggling continually?

You're correct we have been here before - too many times if I am honest yet you still run with your fantasy dream team of premiership over rans.

We have been down the road of PL experience before and on the budgets we have it has landed us N'Zogbia, Hutton, Jermaine **** Jenas, etc.

I don't fancy that road anymore and I don't think we should continue to keep walking down it.

To answer your question I think it will be a good 2-3 seasons before we have a proper structured team in place with the right experience and stability at the upper end of the table.

What you are seeing at the minute Morph is the transition of a club laying the foundations for this to happen.

**** the bricks - build the expensive roof first is never a good way to build something stable!

Edited by AvfcRigo82

Either Lambert is keeping his cards close to his chest or there is no plan (and that wouldn't be surprising). I guess we will see over the next few weeks.

I think that it's the cards and chest that do it for me.

January has 26 days left. The window don't close tonight folks so don't worry.

Seeing the types of players PL has brought in, I'm sure he's got a well assembled list of prospects on his mind and the club is doing its due diligence.

PL certainly does not seem to be the type that is reading the morning papers to see who might be available. He comes across more sophisticated than that.

Edited by nepal_villan

Do you guys really think he would say "We're gonna buy four new players and we can spend 20 million"?

It would be insanity to spout that out, every potential seller would put 1-3 millions more to the asking price.

Yes you were but only in response to your repeating the same thing over and over about how he should have signed experienced players. I think the talk about Berbatov Adam is boring far more people than just me especially in a thread about our manager.

There has been several other posters who have also mentioned the need for experienced players and indeed have repeated that point. I do not therefore see the difference between my posts and theirs and if i am boring as many posters as you suggest why was i asked to provide examples to substantiate my debate?

There has been several other posters who have also mentioned the need for experienced players and indeed have repeated that point. I do not therefore see the difference between my posts and theirs and if i am boring as many posters as you suggest why was i asked to provide examples to substantiate my debate?

I've no idea because you have named them time and time and time again.

Interesting what Charlie Nicholas said on SSN, that Lambert may have told Lerner he needs money if he wants to stay on the Premiership, hope its true.

Bit concerning if true. Surely our Chairman and CEO can work this out for themselves given our results and performances this season.

Maybe Lambert has told Lerner he needs a shitload of money to sort our woefully crap squad out.

You're correct we have been here before - too many times if I am honest yet you still run with your fantasy dream team of premiership over rans.

We have been down the road of PL experience before and on the budgets we have it has landed us N'Zogbia, Hutton, Jermaine **** Jenas, etc.

I don't fancy that road anymore and I don't think we should continue to keep walking down it.

To answer your question I think it will be a good 2-3 seasons before we have a proper structured team in place with the right experience and stability at the upper end of the table.

What you are seeing at the minute Morph is the transition of a club laying the foundations for this to happen.

**** the bricks - build the expensive roof first is never a good way to build something stable!

The choice of players you mention there were purchased by whom?

You target an area of my debate which is basically down to choice of player and who chooses those players?

The fact buying experienced players hasn't worked for us previously is due to the choice of player, not that they were experienced and this point you readily ignore time and time again.

No-one is saying we should buy more players such as N'Zogbia, Hutton, Beye and Warnock.

What i am saying is that we employ the right manager who can then buy the right experienced player.

Are you saying to me that if Lambert had purchased the players that i have suggested those players wouldn't have had an instant impact on our fortunes in the league and not just for this season either which seems to be a particular gripe of yours?

Where are we at the moment with Lambert's policy? Has the football been of an acceptable standard? Have the results been acceptable?

If this is the new dawn you are talking about then i don't want any part of struggling towards the bottom of the table and being hammered by teams we once were able to compete with.

Edited by Morpheus