Paul Lambert

Pilchard

Trouble with that is that we need to get rid of the 'experienced' players we still have before we can buy any more experienced but cheaper value for money players.

That is the point we are still at.

It is called a sacrifice. i.e Darren Bent leaving to free up wages and a fee to be able to buy better 'experienced' players at better value i.e Ron Vlaar.

Out of interest Morph are you talking of experienced players like Charlie Adam? Djribl Cisse? Dimatar Berbatov? Joleon Lescott? Joey Barton? Micheal Carrick? Anton Ferdinand? etc.

If not can you elaborate the type of experience players you refer to.

I've already mentioned them a million times here and again today. I have never mentioned either Carrick or Barton this season.

And again if we had to sell our experienced players to fund more why did we put in a bid for Dempsey?

I've already mentioned them a million times here and again today. I have never mentioned either Carrick or Barton this season.

I know you didn't but they fall into the same field.

The point is this type of experience is not the sort that would benefit Villa for 'the long haul' and purely just a costly short term fix.

It is a no go scenario with the types of players you wish for.

I think you might enjoy following QPR more as they do that sort of thing there just on an advice front for you to consider maybe?

And again if we had to sell our experienced players to fund more why did we put in a bid for Dempsey?

I don't know mate as I was not in the board room at the time it happened.

Edited by AvfcRigo82

Ever heard of a transfer budget and wage budget?

Like everyone else connected with the club yes i have heard about that.

Diame was on a free so no transfer fee. Wages would have been higher than KEA for instance but between both players who would you rather have in the team?

Adam cost between 3.5m to 5m. Wages probably 40 grand per week at Stoke but who would you rather have in our team, Bannan or Adam?

Berbatov i have always acknowledged would have been high in wages yet you would expect to pay top wages for a player of his quality.

You would then have to factor in who has been released and who is going to leave in the summer plus who we have sold and the reduction in those wages for the club.

Edited by Morpheus

I know you didn't but they fall into the same field.

The point is this type of experience is not the sort that would benefit Villa for 'the long haul' and purely just a costly short term fix.

It is a no go scenario with the types of players you wish for.

I think you might enjoy following QPR more as they do that sort of thing there just on an advice front for you to consider maybe?

I don't know mate as I was not in the board room at the time it happened.

We've had this debate before AvfcRigo82 and rather than going around in the proverbial circle again i will ask you one question. With our present team, when do you forsee stability for the club in that we won't be struggling continually? Edited by Morpheus

I've previously responded to you about all these players, in fact plenty of people have yet here we are yet again. I'm not going to bother again.

If you really believe that Lambert had a transfer budget and wage budget sufficient to sign the likes of Berbatov then there is little point debating with you.

As for the Bannan or Adam comment, that is utterly pointless as nobody tried to take Bannan off our hands in the summer sadly.

It is obvious that Lambert had a limited budget for wages and transfers this summer and tried to spread the money as wide as he could and with a view to far more than just this season.

One of the reasons we are in the mess we are in is that we've spent too much money on players past their best the wrong side of 27 and for whom we get nothing for a few years later.

Signing players like those you are obsessed with talking about might have made us better this season but it would have been short term and I don't believe the club can afford to work on a short term basis wasting millions year after year. Neither do I think it was even an option for him to sign those sort of players in the first place.

You don't like Lambert, you wanted him sacked and probably still do. Fine we get it, we also get which players you think he would have been better signing but do we have to go round and round and round in circles talking about them?

I've previously responded to you about all these players, in fact plenty of people have yet here we are yet again. I'm not going to bother again.

If you really believe that Lambert had a transfer budget and wage budget sufficient to sign the likes of Berbatov then there is little point debating with you.

As for the Bannan or Adam comment, that is utterly pointless as nobody tried to take Bannan off our hands in the summer sadly.

It is obvious that Lambert had a limited budget for wages and transfers this summer and tried to spread the money as wide as he could and with a view to far more than just this season.

One of the reasons we are in the mess we are in is that we've spent too much money on players past their best the wrong side of 27 and for whom we get nothing for a few years later.

Signing players like those you are obsessed with talking about might have made us better this season but it would have been short term and I don't believe the club can afford to work on a short term basis wasting millions year after year. Neither do I think it was even an option for him to sign those sort of players in the first place.

You don't like Lambert, you wanted him sacked and probably still do. Fine we get it, we also get which players you think he would have been better signing but do we have to go round and round and round in circles talking about them?

Dear Jim (take your had off my knee), please fix it for me to be able to like a MOD post!

Any examples?

Trouble with that is that we need to get rid of the 'experienced' players we still have before we can buy any more experienced but cheaper value for money players.

That is the point we are still at.

It is called a sacrifice. i.e Darren Bent leaving to free up wages and a fee to be able to buy better 'experienced' players at better value i.e Ron Vlaar.

Out of interest Morph are you talking of experienced players like Charlie Adam? Djribl Cisse? Dimatar Berbatov? Joleon Lescott? Joey Barton? Micheal Carrick? Anton Ferdinand? etc.

If not can you elaborate the type of experience players you refer to.

As you can see, i was asked for examples of whom i was referring to, not once but twice, but in future, i will ignore those particular questions which seem to bore you. Edited by Morpheus

As you can see, i was asked for examples of whom i was referring to, not once but twice, but in future, i will ignore those particular questions which seem to bore you.

Yes you were but only in response to your repeating the same thing over and over about how he should have signed experienced players. I think the talk about Berbatov Adam is boring far more people than just me especially in a thread about our manager.

Regardless of all the twaddle filling this thread, I still believe lambert is our best option to rebuild us.

Hallelujah! One sentence. More sense that many much longer posts.

Don't think I've argued against that.

What you've described is a manager rotating a few players taking both competitions as serious as each other.

MON chose one over the other when he picked his Moscow team and I said I'd find it interesting to see the response towards lambert if he does the same.

Well Houllier did the same thing in FA Cup and he got slaughtered too. Maybe as thye both got poor results in the following Premier League games is why they were moaned at

Hallelujah! One sentence. More sense that many much longer posts.

But, but...there isn't any sense contained therein. Just a rather forlorn hope that Lambert might yet come good, despite there being no evidence whatsoever that he's capable of turning things round. He's on a par with Owen Coyle to be honest, nothing more than that.

I don't think that Lambert is doing particularly great at the moment but then again who else could have come in and don't much better with a £20m summer transfer budget? You can argue all day about him buying mainly kids from lower leagues but how do we know that another manager wouldn't have come here and done the same with so little to spend? Or, maybe another manager would have come in and bought 4 x £5m players that would have turned out to be like Harewood or Collins etc.

Lambert has done what he thinks best for us in the long term. The risk with that is us, the fans. Lerner hasn't got a clue about running this club and seems to let everyone else around him do it all for him. We wanted McLeish out and he went. We (the majority) wanted Lambert in and he got him in. Lambert has a long term plan for the club but of we do go down and the fans turn on him, Lerner might just swing the axe and go with the majority again. Which, in my opinion, would be bad for the club.

If Lambert wants to stay through thick and thin we should stick by him through thick and thin and hope that his plan for our future comes to fruition. He didn't do too bad for Norwich! And, let's face it, in 4-5 years time we will be much better off financially and may be in a much better position to have a go at the top four again.

Lambert will make mistakes from time to time but he's only human so he's just like the rest of us in our jobs!

• Like 1

Lambert has a long term plan for the club.

Sorry to just slice a small section of your post to comment on but this piece intrigued me.

Now forgive me for being a bit cynical but he only joined in June and probably didn't even know that he was going to be Villa manager until then so there is a good chance that he didn't have a 'long term' plan for us at all and that the 'long term' plan is actually that of Randy Lerner's and Paul Lambert accepted to roll with it.

I don't know if it's his style or manner but I just watched the Ipswich press conference on AVTV and I was a bit disappointed. When asked about the January window, he said that he always said that January was a hard window and that he wouldn't be getting players in for the sake of it. He went on to say that "we will wait and see" what we can do. It's not as though the transfer window was announced out of the blue. Surely the club needs a plan before the 1st January and we should not be adopting a reactive 'wait and see' approach, especially in our perilous position.