• Westwood
    • Holman
    • Lichaj
    • Weimann
    • Benteke
    • Bennett (for Lichaj 56)
    • Ireland (for Westwood 56)
    • Bowery (for Holmen 79)

united and arsenal had 7 and 8 put past them last season didn't they?

Not denying how awful we were but even the better teams get stuffed on occasion when the opposition has a field day and they play terribly

Certainly, Arsenal lost 8-2 to Man U at the start of last season, and responded by going out and spending £25m on Arteta, Santos, Mertesaker and Eisfeld. So, yes, better teams sometimes have an "off-day" and they know how to respond.

Oh not this Berbatov/Adam crap again. Lambert's buys have on the whole been good, and the reason why we're quite poor again this season is lack of quality. Lambert bought some good players but there's still more work that needs to be done.

Chelsea had 8 goals from 18 shots on target. That's a 44% conversion rate. That's pretty damn impressive. I can guarantee you they won't get too many conversion rates like that this season despite the fact that they'll dominate more teams like they dominated us.

Well considering the second penalty shouldn't have even been a penalty (way more dubious than the first) things did fall for them for the mere fact that they even got that penalty.

So Lambert's signings have been good yet we still lack quality. He should have signed that quality in the summer and I see you've missed out Diame.

So their conversion rate was less than one in two which actually backs my point up nicely that everything or most things didn't go their way.

I see your now saying that only one of those wasn't a penalty. What has happened to the other one which according to you wasn't a penalty either?

Not consistent is it Mantis.

So Lambert's signings have been good yet we still lack quality. He should have signed that quality in the summer and I see you've missed out Diame.

So their conversion rate was less than one in two which actually backs my point up nicely that everything or most things didn't go their way.

I see your now saying that only one of those wasn't a penalty. What has happened to the other one which according to you wasn't a penalty either?

Not consistent is it Mantis.

Jesus Christ can you read?

As I have explained a million times, Lambert made some good signings but there is still more work to be done. It could never be fixed in one window. I simply forgot about Diame. Sorry for not being able to remember every single you player you bang on about.

No it doesn't actually. I've seen Chelsea have that kind of domination before but only get half the goals. We'd be laughing if we had a 44% conversion rate every game.

Actually, all I said was that it was an even more dubious decision than the first. Both were never penalties but the second one more so.

It's only inconsistent if you don't read it properly.

It was undoubtedly awful but completely predictable. Not the final score admittedly, but many thought we would get pasted and it happened..

We have a young team and as a result the usual ups and downs are exacerbated by their inexperience. It worked for them going to Anfield and against them playing a good Chelsea team and going a goal down very early. It will be this way until the team matures together and develops an understanding. This, I'm sure, most fans understand.

What was awful was the lack of effort in the second half. They gave up and rightly got punished. It is a harsh lesson and hopefully they've learnt from it, and I suspect Lambert is the right manager to hammer that point home.

So will the club refund travelling fans for that? those that said "you take your chances" sorry but no, Arsenal/Man United game last season Arsenal fans were refunded for that.. this is no different.

The club should refund the travelling fans, the lack of effort is disgusting.. I also think the players wages should be looked into and potentially fined for that performance but doubt many will agree with that.

The reason why I no longer watch football unless my friends ask me to (and even then it's just a social activity, nothing more).

Didn't watch, but I'd caution against jumping to conclusions about Lambert and the team, given that we've had some very encouraging performances lately.

I just can't get my head round how we can go from being so good to so poor in a week. It just doesn't compute.

Course it does. We ran into the European Champions who have significantly strengthened since last season and we played very poorly. This is on the back of us meeting an average Liverpool and us playing very well.

We compounded the problem by consistently pushing forward to score. That last bit I dont hold against lambert or the team by the way. We all moaned to high heaven last year when we surrendered games, well yesterday we didnt, we kept pushing and got destroyed.

I know it is illogical but I still like our team and support lambert even after yesterday, perhaps more so. Silly but there you are, I like this Villa team and manager.

• Like 1

I went to the game yesterday - I will attempt a sensible post now that the dust has (somewhat) settled:

1) I don't want my money back. All told I spent roughly 1/5 of my monthly salary yesterday on the game and everything associated with it. As previous posters have said would we have been demanding money back for a 0-2 defeat? A defeat is a defeat regardless of how many goals it is by, and the performance that comes with it.

2) It has been proven time and again in recent seasons that we are the team to play if a run needs ending, or someone needs to start scoring again (e.g. Stoke home 2-2, Saints 1-4 - that's what I can think of off the top of my head)

3) Full credit to the Villa fans for sticking through it, in particular that Andi Weimann song in the first half was excellent

4) The performance was not good, that much is obvious. However, I am still proud that I am associated with Aston Villa, and will continue to be

5) This was inevitable, many predicted we would eventually lose - we have just come off a 5 game unbeaten run that was precipitated by a similar heavy defeat away from home, and only last week 99% of the people on here were drooling over a performance.

6) The team are not consistent, however I would argue that as Villa fans we ourselves are not consistent in our opinions. One good win and our expectations and opinions go through the roof, one heavy defeat and they go through the floor. Let's please face the fact that we are at present an inconsistent but exciting to watch midtable side, and that is what we will continue to be for the forseeable future, and I for one am happy with that.

7) Seriously guys, stop bickering amongst yourselves, it's pathetic and boring.

On that note, Merry Christmas and let's hope for an entertaining game against Spuds - win, lose or draw

• Like 1

I went to the game yesterday - I will attempt a sensible post now that the dust has (somewhat) settled:

1) I don't want my money back. All told I spent roughly 1/5 of my monthly salary yesterday on the game and everything associated with it. As previous posters have said would we have been demanding money back for a 0-2 defeat? A defeat is a defeat regardless of how many goals it is by, and the performance that comes with it.

2) It has been proven time and again in recent seasons that we are the team to play if a run needs ending, or someone needs to start scoring again (e.g. Stoke home 2-2, Saints 1-4 - that's what I can think of off the top of my head)

3) Full credit to the Villa fans for sticking through it, in particular that Andi Weimann song in the first half was excellent

4) The performance was not good, that much is obvious. However, I am still proud that I am associated with Aston Villa, and will continue to be

5) This was inevitable, many predicted we would eventually lose - we have just come off a 5 game unbeaten run that was precipitated by a similar heavy defeat away from home, and only last week 99% of the people on here were drooling over a performance.

6) The team are not consistent, however I would argue that as Villa fans we ourselves are not consistent in our opinions. One good win and our expectations and opinions go through the roof, one heavy defeat and they go through the floor. Let's please face the fact that we are at present an inconsistent but exciting to watch midtable side, and that is what we will continue to be for the forseeable future, and I for one am happy with that.

On that note, Merry Christmas and let's hope for an entertaining game against Spuds - win, lose or draw

like3

Didnt see that coming after the way we had been playing, embarressing it is but for me what is more worrying is why lambert didnt try and change the shape to prevent us getting embarressed and having the worst goal difference in the league. Win is a must v spurs or we could be bottom 3 by crimbo and you no what they say happens if your in bottom 3 at crimbo.

Signings to strengthen please Randy £££ must be experienced though>

Good Post mate

Â