• Westwood
    • Holman
    • Lichaj
    • Weimann
    • Benteke
    • Bennett (for Lichaj 56)
    • Ireland (for Westwood 56)
    • Bowery (for Holmen 79)

I'd already dismissed this game at 0-3. Kids are going to take lumps and the worst outcome would be that they (and Lambert and perhaps the owner) don't learn from it. In that respect the jury's out and I therefore won't come on here and jump up and down in text form.

Really, really bad. After 1-3 against Liverpool I thought we would follow by decent games against Chelsea and Tottenham. I admit Chelsea are at least one class above Liverpool, so victory was not likely even not draw. But 8-0 is bad. We should give the manager some chance, but not many. But is he the only problem?

I don't know about next game against Tottenham. Then we have Wigan, Swansea and Southampton. We really need decent result against them.

If not...

are we good enough for Leeds, Notthingham and Ipswich?

united and arsenal had 7 and 8 put past them last season didn't they?

Not denying how awful we were but even the better teams get stuffed on occasion when the opposition has a field day and they play terribly

Hopefully we can keep this result in some perspective. Not good, disappointed that Lambert didn't change tactics to reduce some of the damage. But we’re still going in the right direction. Get a point against Spurs and beat Wigan and we'll be on a run again.

UTV

Agree. NO team in the Premier League should lose by this much, but its only ONE game. Face it.. losing 8-0 to the reigning European champions (yes, they're not the same team) isn't acceptable, but at least it wasn't against QPR, Swansea, Norwich, Sunderland, etc. If you believe were as bad a team as we were today, than you can't believe were as promising as we looked against Liverplop.

The single positive I took from this game, and there is one, after that performance no one will be sniffing around Benteke anymore.

Don't know what his problem was. I counted at least four offsides, and it wasn't as though he was getting passed the ball every two minutes either. Really a bit pathetic yesterday.

this is where id say something sarcastic, but i dont need to, no premier league team should lose 8-0 to another prem team

i have an urge to say it so im going to, you wont win anything with kids, yes its nice to build for the future (thats if they stay) but you also need experience, and with PL being a young manager as well, he also lacks experience

There will always be fans that say 'this type of result is to be expected' and praise the opponents for being so good when the reality is that this type of result should never be expected and it certainly should never be accepted and there isn't any opponent in the world that we should say are 'so good' that they put 8 goals past us.

This is totally inexcusable and any fan that disagrees is on the planet zorg!

My thoughts entirely, it was embarrassing as it was inept and the most annoying part was that Chelsea are way off being the best side in the league. Everything about yesterday was wrong but ultimately it was the lack of experience that cost us in that we just did not know how to deal with them.

The key thing now is how we deal with the next game.

As for January I think the Lambert and the club need to think very hard about where the weaknesses in the squad are and address them. Whilst it goes against where we are going a couple of wiser and older heads in the team may not go amiss even if the are loan signings.

Just woke up. Was hoping it was all a bad dream.

Sadly it was not and the really really bad part is my wife is a Chelsea fan as is my daughter so my son and I took a little stick yesterday evening.

It's also a kick in the teeth for those saying we didn't need experience.

More experience in the team yesterday and we may have not caved in the way in which we did!

Yeah because that really worked for us when we lost 7-1 a couple of years ago or 6-0 to Newcastle?

We lost so heavily largely because we still kept trying (and failing miserably) to attack even when we were 5-0 down. That left us exposed at the back and that's what cost us even more goals, that and dodgy refereeing.

I think it's ridiculous how after every defeat people come out with the same "we did badly because of lack of experience" rubbish when we were absolutely shit last season despite having a very experienced team. Quality > experience.

No need for me to go further than that as it proves one point and the other you just can't answer.

I've already answered the question.

Yeah because that really worked for us when we lost 7-1 a couple of years ago or 6-0 to Newcastle?

We lost so heavily largely because we still kept trying (and failing miserably) to attack even when we were 5-0 down. That left us exposed at the back and that's what cost us even more goals, that and dodgy refereeing.

I think it's ridiculous how after every defeat people come out with the same "we did badly because of lack of experience" rubbish when we were absolutely shit last season despite having a very experienced team. Quality > experience.

I've already answered the question.

Yes we had experience last season but not the quality experience needed. That quality was available this season but Lambert chose not to purchase it.

No you didn't answer the question so I'll ask it one more time. If everything or most things went Chelsea's way how could they have missed at least four clear cut chances plus a penalty?

Yes we had experience last season but not the quality experience needed. That quality was available this season but Lambert chose not to purchase it.

Oh not this Berbatov/Adam crap again. Lambert's buys have on the whole been good, and the reason why we're quite poor again this season is lack of quality. Lambert bought some good players but there's still more work that needs to be done.

No you didn't answer the question so I'll ask it one more time. If everything or most things went Chelsea's way how could they have missed at least four clear cut chances plus a penalty?

Chelsea had 8 goals from 18 shots on target. That's a 44% conversion rate. That's pretty damn impressive. I can guarantee you they won't get too many conversion rates like that this season despite the fact that they'll dominate more teams like they dominated us.

Well considering the second penalty shouldn't have even been a penalty (way more dubious than the first) things did fall for them for the mere fact that they even got that penalty.

Â