U.S. Politics

maqroll

13 minutes ago, Awol said:

Interesting development in state authorities banding together in regions to coordinate any release of lockdown procedures. 

Looks like they are preparing to defy any federal instructions from Trump. That could get quite spicy! 

Yeah Cuomo was quite adamant that he wasn’t going to listen to Trump. 

Trump doesn't actually have very many powers to reopen things. He can reopen national parks, and instruct federal employees that they need to come to work, I guess. And he can put pressure on governors through the media and party back channels. But governors don't have to listen to him.

23 minutes ago, maqroll said:

GOP Massachusetts governor Charlie Baker has deemed gun stores essential businesses and medical cannabis dispensaries non-essential. 

:bang:

Makes sense, you won’t have any more stoned hippies going on gun rampages.........

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, maqroll said:

GOP Massachusetts governor Charlie Baker has deemed gun stores essential businesses and medical cannabis dispensaries non-essential. 

:bang:

Florida governor have named WWE wrestling essential business :D 

2 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Trump doesn't actually have very many powers to reopen things. He can reopen national parks, and instruct federal employees that they need to come to work, I guess. And he can put pressure on governors through the media and party back channels. But governors don't have to listen to him.

I think he was implying that he would apply pressure on the states in other ways as well. Presumably through things like funding and federal support? There was a comment he made about state governors doing what he wanted “one way or another” which stood out to me.  

2 hours ago, sne said:

WrestleMania was set to be in Tampa this year so the state is probably keeping them sweet so they bring it there when things are back to normal. 

2 hours ago, LondonLax said:

I think he was implying that he would apply pressure on the states in other ways as well. Presumably through things like funding and federal support? There was a comment he made about state governors doing what he wanted “one way or another” which stood out to me.  

Well, we've seen him try to 'play favourites' with things like distributing the federal medical stockpile, but I think that's a pretty weak political weapon, for both the obvious moral reasons and also because the states that he's been threatening are often also states he needs to win in November (like Michigan and Wisconsin) or else are forming sub-national purchasing pacts on the fly, which I see has happened with 6 states in the north-east on the one hand, and the three west coast states on the other this week. I guess there are various levers he can pull in terms of funding, but the big stimulus package is overseen by not just the Treasury but the Federal Reserve as well, so they're not going to be open to 'I won't support businesses in Michigan because the governor won't open schools'. The main influence Trump can have is to make the 30-55% of the population who love him (depending on the state) go crazy at their governors by demanding it, and by getting conservative media outlets to demand it as well.

His recent spat with Cuomo makes Cuomo come across as a decent leader tbf. 

I thought this was amazing:

"“Cuomo’s been calling daily, even hourly, begging for everything, most of which should have been the state’s responsibility, such as new hospitals, beds, ventilators, etc. I got it all done for him, and everyone else, and now he seems to want Independence!” Trump tweeted Tuesday morning. “That won’t happen!”"

Ignoring the fact that he once again makes it all about him, in a time where the country is swamped with sick people, lets just ignore that. Then we arrive at the fact that he is annoyed that a state points to the law of what powers a President got and not. "Independence, that won't happen". He really thinks he's some kinda dictator already. 

7 minutes ago, Genie said:

It’s incredible to see how the press speak to him (he deserves it) but it’s just so amazing how little respect they give the president.

You earn respect, it's not a given.

He talks to them like they're pieces of crap, why should they respond any differently?

• Like 2

16 hours ago, sne said:

Funnily enough this happened just as they were about to be shut down and after Vince's wife pledged $18 million to help get trump reelected in Florida. 

Amazing ethics being displayed 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Genie said:

It’s incredible to see how the press speak to him (he deserves it) but it’s just so amazing how little respect they give the president.

He loves it really. Allows him to play to his base. 

19 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

It’s unbelievable that Trump can act the way he’s acting and come out on top. Which he will. 

The man is an embarrassment. 

I really struggle with his success and the way so many people think our government are handling the corona pandemic well. 

I can't get my head around it. Is being a decent human being now a minority in the world?  

43 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I really struggle with his success and the way so many people think our government are handling the corona pandemic well. 

Weak opposition is the key to both, IMO. Though I'm not sure what "success" is really being achieved, tbh. I think it will gradually filter through to people much more widely. Human nature is to concentrate on major stuff when it happens - pandemic etc. and then after the event, to look at who did what. Iraq springs to mind. At the time Blair and Bush were popular. Not so much afterwards.

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

Funnily enough this happened just as they were about to be shut down and after Vince's wife pledged $18 million to help get trump reelected in Florida. 

Amazing ethics being displayed 

Also worth noting that Linda McMahon was a Trump administration Cabinet member until last year (Administrator of the Small Business Administration).

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

I can't get my head around it. Is being a decent human being now a minority in the world?  

41 minutes ago, blandy said:

Weak opposition is the key to both, IMO.

Colour me astonished 🙄

Â