U.S. Politics

maqroll

19 minutes ago, sne said:

That's what you get when POTUS is allowed to watch Moonraker 

Bildresultat för moonraker space fight gif

Or it's just piece of distraction to divert attention from child camps.

man, I wish they could have put that level in goldeneye...

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, villakram said:

man, I wish they could have put that level in goldeneye...

OT but still one the greatest 1st person shooters - I could only ever kill Jaws by ducking down and shooting his knees.

Edited by TheAuthority
  • Like 1

On 29/06/2018 at 00:54, maqroll said:

People lionize him but he was weak. He had a head of steam and a voter mandate in 2008 and blew it.  In his second term he didn't have to play the same political game but he was still feckless and cowed on too many things and on other things just wrong.

All the Dems weaknesses are starting to haunt them again. Afraid to turn the blade as always. They gifted the GOP the Gorsuch seat and now "Judge Janine" will be nominated for the new seat. Absolute pushover politics.

I really do agree with this, but the Dems have real issues to do with having to have moderate senators that the GOP just don't have. This:

. . . despite being written by a pillock, is where I'm at. PR statehood and fixing voting rights should be the Dem priority, since they will both help reduce the Dem's electoral disadvantages, and also handily be morally the right thing to do as well. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I really do agree with this, but the Dems have real issues to do with having to have moderate senators that the GOP just don't have. This:

. . . despite being written by a pillock, is where I'm at. PR statehood and fixing voting rights should be the Dem priority, since they will both help reduce the Dem's electoral disadvantages, and also handily be morally the right thing to do as well. 

Yup... I was very surprised that all the celebrating over the NY Dem girl, and nobody pointed out that she only wanted "solidarity" with PR, and I believe she has family form there. Completely mental, this is such an obvious civil rights question. It's either an occupied colony or it's a state. Why is Hawaii a state and PR is a something or other. DC is not quite as bad as they live right next to the gravy spout, but pretty mental too.

41 minutes ago, villakram said:

Yup... I was very surprised that all the celebrating over the NY Dem girl, and nobody pointed out that she only wanted "solidarity" with PR, and I believe she has family form there. Completely mental, this is such an obvious civil rights question. It's either an occupied colony or it's a state. Why is Hawaii a state and PR is a something or other. DC is not quite as bad as they live right next to the gravy spout, but pretty mental too.

Yep, totally ruined her Liberal credentials with that one ?.

As it happens her "solidarity" is pretty nuanced and thought through, you can see it in all it's glory here

A lesson in how to treat people decently

Months after Hurricane Maria, which ravaged Puerto Rico, our fellow Americans still suffer for want of basic utilities and billions in federal aid that they are entitled to as citizens. In that time the United States has allowed its own citizens to go without reliable electricity, potable water, and open schools. That includes Alexandria’s own family. Our friends and family in Puerto Rico thus suffer the double humiliation of being denied disaster relief from their own government on the basis of their disenfranchisement. As a member of Congress, Alex commits to championing justice for Puerto Rico on the House floor.

The US Government has done nothing while Puerto Ricans have suffered an island-wide blackout, seen public tuition double for all aspiring collegiate students, and been deprived of their humanity with under-reporting of hurricane-related deaths. A recent Harvard report stating that the real numbers are approaching 5,000, more than 70 times what is being reported. Americans would not stand for this in any other city or state, and we can’t stand for it now. Our government has a responsibility to act and pursue a just recovery in Puerto Rico.

As a Congresswoman, Alexandria intends to fight for sweeping change in the way that the United States relates to Puerto Rico, including 5 main policy priorities:

1) A Marshall Plan for Puerto Rico, helping the island not only recover from Hurricane Maria, but thrive with modern infrastructure and renewable energy systems.

2) A community-led, sustainable, and just recovery - including protections for Puerto Rico’s public education system from kindergarten to college and trade school.

3) An immediate waiver and full review of the Jones Act, which hamstrings the Puerto Rican economy with restrictions that other American communities do not have to face.

4) Cancellation of Puerto Rico’s Wall Street debt: this debt has been accrued by vulture funds using irresponsible and unjust behavior reminiscent of the 2008 financial crisis.

5) Condemnation of the PROMESA Act, which handed over the island to “La Junta,” a corporate governance board installed with the support of my opponent and his private equity donors.

These issues just scrape the surface of the long and difficult history of the U.S. in Puerto Rico. In fact, many of our most pressing issues of justice today - from Puerto Rico, to Standing Rock, to Riker’s Island - are extensions of the dark histories that our nation has never fully remedied: whether that be slavery, Jim Crow, and the War on Drugs; the genocide of native peoples and the plight of modern-day reservations; or the colonization and continued disenfranchisement of Puerto Ricans and people in U.S. territories. To move forward, we must recognize that our present-day issues have deep-past roots. That healing feat is both emotionally and legislatively difficult, but ultimately, it’s the right thing to do.

Over time, we hope to continue our work with activists, community leaders, and policymakers to figure out what social, economic, and racial justice looks like in the modern day. As your Congresswoman, Alexandria will seek to make sure that everyone in the United States is treated fairly by our government, and that the unequal, traumatic relationships of the past are replaced with the true spirit of this great nation: liberty and justice for all.

Also, given that she will be running against Republicans who seem to have the position of "screw them brown folks let them die" picking holes in the above seems a little petty.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Straggler said:

Yep, totally ruined her Liberal credentials with that one ?.

As it happens her "solidarity" is pretty nuanced and thought through, you can see it in all it's glory here

A lesson in how to treat people decently

Also, given that she will be running against Republicans who seem to have the position of "screw them brown folks let them die" picking holes in the above seems a little petty.

errr... just to clarify, I wasn't attacking her per say, more using her as an example of how non-existant PR civil rights are in US political discourse. That text is an example of how deeply people think about the PR issue, but never ever speak about the unspeakable. It simply astonishes me.

1 hour ago, A'Villan said:

Not being entirely serious but the best thing that U.S politics has produced in recent years would have to be Immortal Technique.

Love that guy. I would post my favourite track by him but feel I would get a warning for it. Dance with the devil. 

Edited by Seat68
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Love that guy. I would post my favourite track by him but feel I would get a warning for it. Dance with the devil. 

It's a powerful message to any youth getting caught up in the poverty and shallowness of gang culture. Though it's probably not in my top 10 from him.

I like his messages of courage, altruism and spirit much more. Anything he condemns is always accompanied by solid reasoning and heart.

He built an orphanage in Afghanistan with the profits from his music. Good human.

• Like 1

There is a thought nibbling away in the back of my mind about Trump.  If you will allow me to make the assumption that Trump has committed crimes both before and during his Presidency. that he knows he has committed these crimes and that he knows there is evidence out there to prove it.  I don't think that is a wild assumption, most/all the evidence points to this.

Yesterday Trump made his SCOTUS pick I believe based largely on his opinion that a sitting President cannot be indicted.  The summary of Trumps defense has moved over from the Shaggy "It wasn't me", to "The President is immune from prosecution".   The problem with this is that it is only valid for as long as Trump is President.  So what is the long term plan here then?  If Trump loses the next election there is nothing he can do to prevent Mueller knocking his door in and arresting him.  The simple answer is that he cannot afford to lose and will do everything in his power to stop that from happening including encouraging the Russians to hack away at the election like a Colombian footballer.  With the next four years the single goal for him will be to wreck the justice system so hard that he will be able to carry immunity on after he steps down, of simply declare a state of emergency that only he can fix that will allow him to stay on beyond the 8 years.  

I say long term plan here like there may even be one.  I'm not sure that Trump has it in him to think strategically like that, however there will come a point when he is cornered like a rat and my concern is what does he do when he realises that the protections he enjoys now can all be removed at the ballot box in a single stroke.  Given what he has everything to lose and that he only really has one move he is capable of (lash out at everything he does not like to destroy/deflect) the results could be disastrous.

The question is would Trump knowingly tamper with the electoral process or try to prevent its normal function to save his own skin?  I would say he would.  I would also say I expect him to try.  Would he start a war to declare a state of emergency?  There is even a chance he may be successful and if he is we could be looking at a very different America in less than 5 years.  I won't say that this is keeping me up at night, but I do wonder how it will play out. 

I think most likely is that Trump exits the scene with immunity or a pardon and goes back to private life.  The political establishment has a tendency towards the craven and it is the weakest option.  Whilst not leading to immediate crisis it will fundamentally change America forever and for the worse as it will be a tacit acceptance that what he did was ok.

I know there is a lot of speculation here and no small bit of crystal ball gazing, but it all has to end somehow and with the new normal being completely freaking nuts the biggest surprise would be if it all ends well.

Â