U.S. Politics

maqroll

1 hour ago, Jareth said:

Looking forward to July 13th. What Trump does not understand is the British tradition of gathering in crowds and shouting rude things, we do it all the time let alone when given a very good reason that unites literally everybody who revels in this sort of thing. Gonna be amazing. 

I'm getting my protest sign prepared nice and early.  I'm thinking something alone the lines of

"England has the best hookers"

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ4sgPwnk7P17epNpfWSG-

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Awol said:

He may be nuttier than bucket of squirrel s**t but fact is this has only happened due to the pressure Trump has brought to bear on N Korea with bellicose rhetoric & direct threats. Before he came in there was no process, other than what looked like a steady drift to war. 

He can go to jail tomorrow & would still deserve every bit of kudos coming his way IF this leads to denuclearization, but ending the war is itself a remarkable achievement.

@OutByEaster The US has no nuclear weapons in S Korea, & Trump wants the 30K troops out, too. If the N Koreans follow through with their part (& who knows with Kim) I’d imagine that will be the quid-pro-quo following verification.  

This might or might not be true.

We really have no idea of what has been going on behind closed doors before Trump took office because back then these things were kept between the people handling them.

Unlike now when Trump is pretty much Tweeting live from closed door meetings and revealing everything that shines a favorable light on him, while at the same time letting his lawyers handle anything that doesn't.

But I agree kudos to everyone involved in potentially disarming this situation.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jareth said:

Looking forward to July 13th. What Trump does not understand is the British tradition of gathering in crowds and shouting rude things, we do it all the time let alone when given a very good reason that unites literally everybody who revels in this sort of thing. Gonna be amazing. 

The Great British Moon At Trump group on Facebook has been erased.

Latest Rumour is that Elliott Broidy wasn't actually the father in the $1.6 million abortion payout. He was just the fall guy for someone else. Avenatti hinted at this in one of his interviews around the time Cohen was forced to reveal his clients, Avenatti said the three clients were Trump, The Trump Campaign and Hannity, he didn't make any reference to Broidy being a client. Might just have been a slip, probably just a conspiracy theory but just imagine its true...

8 hours ago, Awol said:

He may be nuttier than bucket of squirrel s**t but fact is this has only happened due to the pressure Trump has brought to bear on N Korea with bellicose rhetoric & direct threats. Before he came in there was no process, other than what looked like a steady drift to war. 

He can go to jail tomorrow & would still deserve every bit of kudos coming his way IF this leads to denuclearization, but ending the war is itself a remarkable achievement.

@OutByEaster The US has no nuclear weapons in S Korea, & Trump wants the 30K troops out, too. If the N Koreans follow through with their part (& who knows with Kim) I’d imagine that will be the quid-pro-quo following verification.  

and inspection have taken place to verify this or are we supposed to trust the US military now? From a strategic perspective, I'd be amazed if there are no nukes present... flying in from Diego Garcia or Japan wouldn't be worth shit if the NK started shooting.

8 hours ago, Awol said:

fact is this has only happened due to the pressure Trump has brought to bear on N Korea with bellicose rhetoric & direct threats. Before he came in there was no process, other than what looked like a steady drift to war.  

That’s hardly a fact.

There are other variables in play here. Unless you’re privy to information I haven’t seen, other than Trump trying to claim as much credit as possible, as he’ll do with pretty much anything, he may have had nothing to do with it at all.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Michelsen said:

That’s hardly a fact.

There are other variables in play here. Unless you’re privy to information I haven’t seen, other than Trump trying to claim as much credit as possible, as he’ll do with pretty much anything, he may have had nothing to do with it at all.

No peace is possible w/o the explicit involvement of the US as they are a direct party to the war. Hence, peace talks implicitly require at a minimum the acquiescence of the US. Much more than that has occurred here as evidenced by the secret Pompeo trip to NK.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, villakram said:

and inspection have taken place to verify this or are we supposed to trust the US military now? From a strategic perspective, I'd be amazed if there are no nukes present... flying in from Diego Garcia or Japan wouldn't be worth shit if the NK started shooting.

Hypothetically speaking, if the US was going to nuke somewhere as a first strike it would almost certainly use a sub-based ballistic missile, far less chance of something going wrong with the process of delivering instant sunshine rapidly on target. 

Air or sub launched cruise missiles are vulnerable to integrated air defence systems, & if a situation is serious enough to use a nuke....you’d want to be very sure it got there. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Awol said:

Hypothetically speaking, if the US was going to nuke somewhere as a first strike it would almost certainly use a sub-based ballistic missile, far less chance of something going wrong with the process of delivering instant sunshine rapidly on target. 

Air or sub launched cruise missiles are vulnerable to integrated air defence systems, & if a situation is serious enough to use a nuke....you’d want to be very sure it got there. 

Agreed. I see having nukes on the mainland as a defensive move, i.e., nuke the DMZ and turn it into a true no-go zone etc. etc., preventing ground force movements and negating the NK massive manpower advantage. This may sound extreme, but US military men have a track record in thinking this way.

21 hours ago, sne said:

So with the Korea war finally over after 68 years you have to wonder how long before Trump takes credit for it.

Imagine Trump and Kim Jong-Un getting the Nobel Peace Prize...

If Dennis Rodman gets the Nobel Peace Prize my life is complete and I can die in peace. Seriously, that would be hilarious! 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Awol said:

I think this places too much credit on Trump, to be honest. Kim appears to have decided some time ago that his best hope for the continuation of dynastic political control is economic opening. China and Vietnam - and in a different way, Singapore - have demonstrated that economic opening doesn't have to entail political opening. But to start gradually attracting foreign investment, first the country needs to stop being on a permanent war footing. 

Kim is not going to be 'denuclearising' in the sense that people seem to think (ie decommissioning all warheads and ending any enrichment programs) any time soon, because the economic imperative for the North to reduce the 23% of GDP it spends on defence is more pressing than ever, and the nuclear program is a way to do that. 

I just don't agree that 'before he [Trump] came in there was . . . what looked like a steady drift to war', I don't think that reflects reality at all. 

Edited by HanoiVillan
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, villakram said:

Agreed. I see having nukes on the mainland as a defensive move, i.e., nuke the DMZ and turn it into a true no-go zone etc. etc., preventing ground force movements and negating the NK massive manpower advantage. This may sound extreme, but US military men have a track record in thinking this way.

Not only US military men, Pakistan’s nuclear doctrine is amazing. In the case of an imminent Indian invasion Pakistan intends to nuke itself, thus demonstrating they are not to be messed with. 

That really is true, btw. 

• Confused 1

13 minutes ago, Awol said:

Not only US military men, Pakistan’s nuclear doctrine is amazing. In the case of an imminent Indian invasion Pakistan intends to nuke itself, thus demonstrating they are not to be messed with. 

That really is true, btw. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

LOL at the oh-so sincere Republicans who have spent years mocking 'safe spaces' and 'the importance of hearing opposing viewpoints' who have collectively lost their mud over a comedian telling jokes at a dinner. 

EDIT: I mean, get a load of this:

Edited by HanoiVillan
  • Like 2

Â