U.S. Politics

maqroll

On 27/04/2018 at 14:23, Michelsen said:

That’s hardly a fact.

There are other variables in play here. Unless you’re privy to information I haven’t seen, other than Trump trying to claim as much credit as possible, as he’ll do with pretty much anything, he may have had nothing to do with it at all.

He's actually been surprisingly low key about it relative to all his other boasts, which means his real desire was to bomb the f*ck out of them.

Update: Just watched his rally speech from last night, he's taking full credit...

Edited by maqroll

4 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

...have collectively lost their mud over a comedian telling jokes at a dinner. 

Agree with your main point completely

Had he walked out because the jokes just weren't funny I'd have agreed with him. How that woman earns a living as a comedian is beyond me

Just now, bickster said:

Agree with your main point completely

Had he walked out because the jokes just weren't funny I'd have agreed with him. How that woman earns a living as a comedian is beyond me

To be honest, I haven't watched the video, and have no intention of doing so. Everything at these events is cringe, and as an event it simply demonstrates the basic transactional corruption of American political journalism. 

The hypocrisy did stand out pretty damn clearly though. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

They elected Trump because he held no punches and told it how it is.

A comedian makes fun of them and they lose their shit.

The true 'snowflake generation'.

'You know your problem Bob? You can give it out, but you can't take it, can you?'

[. . . .]

'. . . and luckily there's an entire political party dedicated to pandering to your worst instincts, so'. 

Edited by HanoiVillan

I'm not a trump fan at all, but you do have to give him so  credit towards the Korea peace. I never thought I would see the day.

If this was Obama there would be almighty wankfest

Edited by Demitri_C
  • Like 2

41 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I'm not a trump fan at all, but you do have to give him so  credit towards the Korea peace. I never thought I would see the day.

If this was Obama there would be almighty wankfest

You are not alone... though, I hope we all keep our hopes in check. Lots of talking occurring but lets see what happens when it has to go on paper. Certainly a promising situation. Mental.

“President Trump should win the Nobel Peace Prize. What we need is only peace,” Moon told a meeting of senior secretaries, according to a presidential Blue House official who briefed media.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-northkorea-southkorea-trump/trump-should-win-the-nobel-peace-prize-says-south-koreas-moon-idUSKBN1I10OD

Yes, its not like North Korea are known for keeping their promises on things like this.

Interesting that Trump is now taking so much credit for this - it was only a few months ago he was saying its pointless trying to talk with NK, and after both North and South Korea marched under a unified flag at the Olympics, Pence was saying that was all propaganda and calling NK a murderous regime. Now they have solved the issue and created peace?

Although i guess in some weird way, Trumps crazy twitter storms and threats against 'Little Rocket Man' may have just further emboldened Kim to finish his nuclear programme, which he apparently now has, and that has given him the security and leverage he feels he needs to negotiate on the world stage, so maybe he has brought him to the table in a roundabout way.

Although Kim making the first moves (with China and SK) put the US in a potentially tricky spot - can Trump now go in with his usual bluster, making threats and demands, given Kim is the one (apparently) holding out the olive branch first? On the other hand making concessions may come across as weak to his supporters (and he hates 'losing').

There's also what China are up to in all this, and given pretty much all of NK's trade and economic support comes from them, is there not a suspicion they are the one's who have really put the pressure on Kim to make his about turn? I assume they would be quite happy for the US influence in that region to be removed - yes NK will denuke, as long as all American forces withdraw from the area.

I think Trump's contribution is more to do with the effect he's had on South Korea than on North Korea. I think they looked at him and thought "Sod this, lets make friends with 'em before this idiot gets us all killed."

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

So the list of questions Mueller wants to ask Trump has been leaked

*Gasp* that's an outrage.... shut down the investigation, he's a) overreaching his mandate and b) leaking like a leaky thing

Turns out, the Mueller Team have no actual list of questions, they have only been given as outline questions verbally and the list wasn't exhaustive

The Document was leaked (and in fact created) by someone on the Trump side to attempt to discredit Mueller

Big Fail!

He also said in the same interview that Comey was fired for refusing to publicly say that Trump wasn't a target of his investigation... 

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, maqroll said:

Woops

Rudy G. with a major howler

Wasn’t the point that if he repainted something, it was still a loan. I’m not sure how repaying it changes anything

1 hour ago, bickster said:

Wasn’t the point that if he repainted something, it was still a loan. I’m not sure how repaying it changes anything

It changes things a bit.  If Trump genuinely knew nothing (an obvious lie, but it's what Trump said on AF1) about it then it is only Cohen who is on the hook for any illegal activity / campaign finance law breaches.  If what Rudy has said is true then it puts Trump right back in the middle of the problem again.  Given that all concerned in this clusterf**k lie more than they tell the truth who knows what the truth actually is, but the Rudy statement has more credibility than Trumps (not because he is trustworthy, it is just more logical).  I think Rudy is trying to make out that this payment is a private transaction and nothing to do with the campaign therefore not illegal.  The problem with that is campaign finance law doesn't let you define what is an in kind donation to a campaign.   Trump later repaying an illegal campaign contribution does not erase the offense. And Rudy seems to have admitted that Trump filed false federal financial disclosures omitting the debt.

So what Rudy is trying to do and what he has done are two very different things, but lets face it, no one anywhere really believed that Trump knew nothing about this hush money.  So in the eyes of the law little to nothing has changed and it's now even more clear that Trump has a legal team that makes Lionel Hutz look like a bastion of professionalism and good judgement.

So yes, actually very little has changed in the big picture, it's just the Trump team position twisting in the wind like a trailer in a tornado as per usual.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, bickster said:

People speculating today that Rudy blurted this out because Cohen's already flipped and told Mueller about it, so he was trying to "get ahead" of the story. Looks bad from any angle. He's admitted Trump lied about the payoff, which violates campaign finance laws. He admitted to the offense which in and of itself is/can be an article of impeachment.

Edited by maqroll

10 hours ago, Davkaus said:

He also said in the same interview that Comey was fired for refusing to publicly say that Trump wasn't a target of his investigation... 

He's become a complete crank.

This is all a game folks... Mueller is fishing, pretty the same tactic as the republicans used regarding the whole Benghazi thing. This is more an old boot than a fish.

Â