U.S. Politics

maqroll

4 hours ago, a m ole said:

why is this not a bigger deal?

I think it's a good question.

I think it probably comes down to the differences between the mentality of the US and the mentality of other nations. So here in the UK, this is violent acts with a weapon resulting in death in the US - ho hum - America does that day in day out. In the US, violent death by a weapon is a constitutional right, it's understood - this is completely different, it's a bomb, it's terrifying, weird, freakish and dangerous - it's a big deal. 

I think the rest of the world has become so accustomed to US gun death that "more people die in America through a weapon" goes sort of unnoticed, even though the weapon isn't the same. Whereas in the US, the two things live on different channels. 

I'm not sure I've expressed that well, but in terms of this being a big deal here, I guess it's because Americans kill each other all the time.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, a m ole said:

Another white terrorist on US soil.

Quite possibly. Seemed to be targeting black and Hispanic communities. It certainly wouldn't be a shock to find out he was, let's say, a bit right wing.

According to TMZ he was strongly anti gay and anti abortion. And also thought the sexual offender registry was wrong, for some reason.

1:25 PM PT -- Authorities just released a statement saying explosive experts are working to "safely remove and dispose of homemade explosives" they located during their search of Conditt's home. They have evacuated homes within a 4-block radius of Conditt's residence.

Austin bomber Mark Conditt blogged that homosexuality is not natural and therefore gay marriage should be illegal.

It appears Conditt was a student in an online American government class in 2012 at Austin Community College, where he submitted several blogs in which he gave his opinions on a variety of issues.

As for gay marriage, Conditt wrote, "Homosexuality is not natural. Just look at the male and female bodies ... It would be like trying to fit two screws together and to nuts together and then say, 'see, it's natural for them to go together.'"

In addition to attacking homosexuality, he railed on the government providing women with free abortions, saying, "If you can't provide for a child, then don't have sex."

Conditt also talked about doing away with the sex offender registry, commenting "You have to really hate the guy to make him suffer for the rest of his life, even when his prison time is up."

He also blogged in support of the death penalty, saying, "Living criminals harm and murder again -- executed ones do not."

http://www.tmz.com/2018/03/21/austin-bomber-mark-conditt-against-gay-marriage-abortion-blog/

Onward Christian soldiers! Marching as to war...

Home schooled as well.

At least the planet won't miss him. Illiberal religious conservative, something we desperately need less of.

I bet you get short odds on 'repressed homosexual urges' too.

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

He could have had such fun in the prison showers. 

He apparently didn't think he had the proper anatomy for that type of fun.  If only he had realized there's an alternate route...

**** me. The previous vice president and the current president, publicly talking about how much they'd like to beat each other up.

What an absolute embarrassment.

It makes me almost feel better about the nobs who run our country. 

5 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

**** me. The previous vice president and the current president, publicly talking about how much they'd like to beat each other up.

What an absolute embarrassment.

It makes me almost feel better about the nobs who run our country. 

I must admit, for a long time I wished for a Ken Clarke/John Prescott punch-up. 

**** me. The secretary of state gets sacked via a press release, The Donald realises he doesn't actually have a secretary of state, so sends the next best person for an official meeting with South Korea. Ivanka Trump. A 'clothes designer' with no security clearance.

Isn't it a conflict of interest, having someone in this position solely because the president wants to bang her?

Â