U.S. Politics

maqroll

Major cyber crime press conference  by Rosenstein Friday morning .

Has to be Russia related as the recused Sessions should be making that kind of announcement.

Beginning of the end .

Edited by Brumerican

8 hours ago, Brumerican said:

Hopefully Guccifer 2.0 and Roger Stone related .

Stone flipping would be yuge.

Daily Beast reporting that Guccifer 2.0 was ID’d as a GRU agent... Stone publicly stated they had been in touch via DM on twitter and Guccifer was the source of the DNC emails. 

They’re all going to jail, I really believe  it now. 

• Like 1

Iran might have to get in line - the Chinese may have taken the Trump tariffs on the chin without too much of a kerfuffle, but they're particularly miffed with the Taiwan Travel Bill. The Chinese expect trade to be contentious with the big orange dealmaker, but this for them is a matter of sovereignty - the equivalent of Trump telling us that he'll only speak with Dublin on matters concerning Northern Ireland. As ever with Trump, the stupidest thing is hidden under layers of other stupid things.

The budget he's just signed (against his will) is obscene. The only thing that has gone up is military spending (the movement of public money into private hands) everything else is down - the only social group that has any investment is veterans - the US spends more on its veterans than it does on Education!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_United_States_federal_budget

Trump leads a government run by a corporate oligarchy which is deliberately undermining the strength of government to influence society for the benefit of financial markets, he's doing this in plain sight and an awful lot of Americans seem to support it. Maybe the key to getting Turkeys to welcome Christmas is better media?

52 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

The budget he's just signed (against his will) is obscene. The only thing that has gone up is military spending (the movement of public money into private hands) everything else is down - the only social group that has any investment is veterans - the US spends more on its veterans than it does on Education!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_United_States_federal_budget

Trump leads a government run by a corporate oligarchy which is deliberately undermining the strength of government to influence society for the benefit of financial markets, he's doing this in plain sight and an awful lot of Americans seem to support it. Maybe the key to getting Turkeys to welcome Christmas is better media?

It's a very broad give away to the various power groups in society. Those without power be damned.

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

Iran might have to get in line - the Chinese may have taken the Trump tariffs on the chin without too much of a kerfuffle, but they're particularly miffed with the Taiwan Travel Bill. The Chinese expect trade to be contentious with the big orange dealmaker, but this for them is a matter of sovereignty - the equivalent of Trump telling us that he'll only speak with Dublin on matters concerning Northern Ireland. As ever with Trump, the stupidest thing is hidden under layers of other stupid things.

Also worth remembering, that according to official Chinese studies, they expect their oil imports to double by 2025-2030. The time when the US could unilaterally act, without consequence, may well be over.

Andrew McCabe writes in the Washington Post about his firing from the FBI.

On March 16, I spent the day with my family waiting to hear whether I would be fired, after 21 years in the FBI and one day before I qualified for my long-planned, earned retirement. 

As day turned to night, I had a lot of time to reflect on how it would feel to be separated from the organization I loved — and led — and the mission that has been the central focus of my professional life. Despite all the preparation for the worst-case scenario, I still felt disoriented and sick to my stomach. Around 10 p.m., a friend called to tell me that CNN was reporting that I had been fired. She read me the attorney general’s statement.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/opinions/andrew-mccabe-not-in-my-worst-nightmares-did-i-dream-my-fbi-career-would-end-this-way/2018/03/23/5ff8fd8c-2eb9-11e8-8688-e053ba58f1e4_story.html

He's been putting his warships right in the faces of the Chinese too - yesterday there was an incident off one of those islands that the Chinese have built off the coast of China with the US sailing a destroyer within ten miles.

On 24/03/2018 at 01:20, OutByEaster? said:

He's been putting his warships right in the faces of the Chinese too - yesterday there was an incident off one of those islands that the Chinese have built off the coast of China with the US sailing a destroyer within ten miles.

That’s a good thing. Our oceans are the are global commons, the rules ranging from defining territorial waters to the right of innocent passage are laid down in international law - even though the US hasn’t ratified UNCLOS it abides by it. 

China is effectively trying to annex the South and East China Seas by creating and militarising new territory on top of reefs, an illegal policy and one that should be challenged by freedom of navigation operations - like the ones you reference. 

If not, innocent passage through international waters will soon be taking place with the ‘permission’ of Beijing where none is required in law. They are already causing serious problems for their neighbors from Vietnam and the Philipines right up to Japan. 

There’s a reason the first deployment of our new carrier is reportedly to be through those same waters. China can’t be allowed to unilaterally re-write the law of the sea & these operations deny the legitimacy of their attempts to do so. 

• Like 3

It'd be interesting to see what would happen if China put a military base thirty miles off the US coast and sailed destroyers ten miles off the coast of California. I suspect the US would apply an altogether different set of rules.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

It'd be interesting to see what would happen if China put a military base thirty miles off the US coast and sailed destroyers ten miles off the coast of California. I suspect the US would apply an altogether different set of rules.

In law China is allowed to do exactly that (with its naval vessels) and the US couldn’t do a damn thing - although 24 hour news channels would be funny to watch. 

On the other point I’m not aware that the US has built a naval base 30 miles off the Chinese coast? 

• Like 1

They have 2 air force bases in South Korea, but the closest naval bases are the 3 in Japan I guess?

On another note this whole Stormy Daniels thing is IMO totally uninteresting (unless they can find proof that the guy who allegedly threatened her was working on orders from Trump, and that will never happen)

39 minutes ago, sne said:

They have 2 air force bases in South Korea, but the closest naval bases are the 3 in Japan I guess?

On another note this whole Stormy Daniels thing is IMO totally uninteresting (unless they can find proof that the guy who allegedly threatened her was working on orders from Trump, and that will never happen)

The Summer Zervos one is the more interesting of the three women's cases as there is no arbitration in that case

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Awol said:

In law China is allowed to do exactly that (with its naval vessels) and the US couldn’t do a damn thing - although 24 hour news channels would be funny to watch. 

On the other point I’m not aware that the US has built a naval base 30 miles off the Chinese coast? 

The US has done many bad things to China. Ditto with the UK. 

Take a break from pontificating on freedom and democracy and read your history.

Or, do tell us about how todays free and fair election in Egypt is going, who is backed by...

11 hours ago, Awol said:

Well no, but they built a whole range of bases that encircle China.

You say annex, China would say reclaim.

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

Well no, but they built a whole range of bases that encircle China.

You say annex, China would say reclaim.

Sure they have bases in allied countries, which invariably the host countries want in their territory. To protect them from China. 

The point about annex or reclaim is that by definition a country can’t own international waters, ‘cos they are free for all to use. That’s international  law and the fact China wants to change it by creating facts on the ground (or rather create new ground to establish new facts) is the reason for the persistent physical rejection of its claims through freedom of navigation operations. 

Its not western imperialism, it’s chinese imperialism in violation of the established (via the UN) international legal order.

• Like 1

Â