U.S. Politics

maqroll

1 hour ago, Straggler said:

Trump has proclaimed April 2018 as National sexual assault awareness and prevention month.

Alanis Morrisette if you are watching, this is an example you could have used.

Guaranteed there's folk on here going to be thinking who the hell is Alanis Morrisette! 

Texas woman sentenced to 5 years in prison for voting while on probation

If she had known it was illegal, Crystal Mason said she would have never cast a vote in the 2016 presidential election.

The 43-year-old former tax preparer hadn’t even planned on voting until her mother encouraged her to do it. She had only recently been released from federal prison for a 2012 tax fraud conviction, in which she pleaded guilty to inflating returns for her clients, her attorney, J. Warren St. John, told The Washington Post.

She was still on community supervision at the time of the election — but no one, including her probation officer, St. John said, ever told her that being a felon on supervision meant she couldn’t vote under Texas law.

Now, she’s going back to prison for casting a ballot illegally — for five years.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2018/03/30/texas-woman-sentenced-to-5-years-in-prison-for-voting-while-on-probation/?utm_term=.68689724679c

49 minutes ago, bickster said:

Dow Jones opened 500 pts down on opening because China retaliated in the Trumps steel trade war. It recovered a bit then dropped like a stone again

48 minutes ago, bickster said:

\Oh and Trump agrees to keep troops in Syria after saying he was pulling them out yesterday

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, bickster said:

Yet another odd irrelevant response to a post of mine

I say black, you say fishing

That's a tad on the sensitive side. I deeply apologize for offending your poor gentle soul.

Adding in the detail that the US has illegally (well according to international law, which is a somewhat humorous term) occupied part of Syria is hardly irrelevant. That Trump's flip-flopping may or may not change long term imperial policy is interesting/amusing.

4 minutes ago, villakram said:

That's a tad on the sensitive side. I deeply apologize for offending your poor gentle soul.

Adding in the detail that the US has illegally (well according to international law, which is a somewhat humorous term) occupied part of Syria is hardly irrelevant. That Trump's flip-flopping may or may not change long term imperial policy is interesting/amusing.

It has nothing to do with me being sensitive, as those on here who know me IRL will testify, sensitive is not remotely close to the top of any list of adjectives to describe me.In fact it's pretty much bottom of the pile

I never mention the legality of the war because it wasn't relevant to the point I was making

You want to make that point, there's absolutely nothing wrong with that, just do it without referencing something completely irrelevant.

19 minutes ago, bickster said:

It has nothing to do with me being sensitive, as those on here who know me IRL will testify, sensitive is not remotely close to the top of any list of adjectives to describe me.In fact it's pretty much bottom of the pile

I never mention the legality of the war because it wasn't relevant to the point I was making

You want to make that point, there's absolutely nothing wrong with that, just do it without referencing something completely irrelevant.

OK, I know this is a little pedantic... but could you please clearly write down the "completely irrelevant" thing I wrote? You said something about Trump/Syria and I added some details. Maybe you understand the term differently to me. Additionally, a number of comments had been made after your post, so it made sense to quote the post I was responding/adding to. That's how this whole forum thing works isn't it?

7 minutes ago, villakram said:

OK, I know this is a little pedantic... but could you please clearly write down the "completely irrelevant" thing I wrote? You said something about Trump/Syria and I added some details. Maybe you understand the term differently to me. Additionally, a number of comments had been made after your post, so it made sense to quote the post I was responding/adding to. That's how this whole forum thing works isn't it?

Ok lets see if I can help you understand

I said: Trump changed his mind in a very short space of time. 

I'm making a point about Trump changing his mind

You said: The wars illegal

You're making a point about the war being illegal

They aren't remotely connected, your point does not relate to mine, it is therefore irrelevant

Hope I've cleared that up for you

57 minutes ago, bickster said:

Ok lets see if I can help you understand

I said: Trump changed his mind in a very short space of time. 

I'm making a point about Trump changing his mind (about Syria)

You said: The war is illegal (in Syria)

You're making a point about the war being illegal.

They aren't remotely connected (in a post modern sense), your point does not relate to mine (in a post modern sense), it is therefore irrelevant (in a post modern sense).

Hope I've cleared that up for you.

A symptom of our modern clickbait based, out of context, micro-attention span times.

Come on. This is pretty "funny". Evil/dumb/etc., Trump is pulling troops out of an illegal war (boo hiss). Trump decides to continue illegal imperial war (boo hiss). This is a more general comment. The situation is all to similar to the mass bi-partizan cheering that occurred when he chucked a few missiles at that Syrian airfield.

Edited by villakram

11 hours ago, villakram said:

Come on. This is pretty "funny". Evil/dumb/etc., Trump is pulling troops out of an illegal war (boo hiss). Trump decides to continue illegal imperial war (boo hiss). This is a more general comment.

I dunno. I mean the President of USA ought, to my mind at least, be a bit more considered in his words and actions than something that flips more often than a windsock in a tornado.

International affairs ought to be something that are analysed in great detail before words , formal positions and actions are taken.

Trump's just an  idiot blowhard, reacting to whatever stimulus he most recently detected. Bad!

Â