U.S. Politics

maqroll

1 hour ago, Tegis said:

How can one say this with a straight face? Clowns!

No different to Iger's statements this morning explaining how the Disney/Fox merger would provide more options to consume for consumers. Hence, this merger should clearly be approved <_<

• Like 2

3 hours ago, PompeyVillan said:

Anyone else note how Trump brazenly declared that public healthcare doesn't work the other day whilst endorsing Moore?

"Doesn't work folks" 

Crikey the NHS is far from perfect, it's being starved of resources for a start but it's one of the things we as the UK are most proud of. And it works because whoever you are,  you can expect the same level of care. In the USA unless you can afford health insurance, meh, you don't count, your country doesn't care about you. You're only worthy of care if you have the means to pay for it. 

To me both here and in the states we treat poverty systemically as a status that is deserved or earned by those unfortunate to be in it. It's a really sorry indictment of politics. 

So when Trump says "Doesn't work folks" and Tories say "It's unsustainable", what they really mean is that it doesn't work for them or their wealthy donors. 

For the rest of us plebs, it's important we challenge the accepted notion in right wing/ mainstream politics that public health (or any public service for that matter) is unsustainable and inferior. 

I dunno about you, but I need our public health service. 

During the '08 election debates, the year I moved here. Obama and McCain were asked if healthcare was a right or a privilege. McCain said it was a privilege, my jaw hit the floor, but not even a hint of a reaction from the locals. Suffice to say, I was wondering what the hell was going on.

Were it asked during the Clinton/Trump debates, I'm not sure she could have said it was a right anymore, given how to the right the entire political spectrum has moved over here :(

10 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

It's like we're living in world of opposite realities.

The Bizarro World (also known as htraE, which is "Earth" spelled backwards) is a fictional planet appearing in American comic books published by DC comics. Introduced in the early 1960s, htraE is a cube-shaped planet, home to Bizarro and companions, all of whom were initially Bizarro versions of Superman, Lois Lane and their children and, later, other Bizarros including Batzarro, the World's Worst Detective.

In popular culture "Bizarro World" has come to mean a situation or setting which is weirdly inverted or opposite to expectations.

aidepikiW

• Like 1

20 hours ago, PompeyVillan said:

Perhaps off topic, but how does that change affect the neutrality of the internet outside of the US? 

As far as I know, and I'm certainly no expert on the matter, it wont. We'll still be bound to the EU rules while we are still a member at least.

What it does do though is set precedent. It also acts as a reminder that things like this and TTIP never really go away. If the will isn't there they keep plugging away even if it takes years.

The net neutrality thing has been great though in highlighting how little respect there is for people/voters/consumers. The internet seems one of the few things not broken in this world.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, peterms said:

One of Trump's nominees as a judge.  He appears to have no experience and little knowledge.  Quite astonishing.

That's the most polite public humiliation I've ever seen.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, PompeyVillan said:

Anyone else note how Trump brazenly declared that public healthcare doesn't work the other day whilst endorsing Moore?

"Doesn't work folks" 

Crikey the NHS is far from perfect, it's being starved of resources for a start but it's one of the things we as the UK are most proud of. And it works because whoever you are,  you can expect the same level of care. In the USA unless you can afford health insurance, meh, you don't count, your country doesn't care about you. You're only worthy of care if you have the means to pay for it. 

To me both here and in the states we treat poverty systemically as a status that is deserved or earned by those unfortunate to be in it. It's a really sorry indictment of politics. 

So when Trump says "Doesn't work folks" and Tories say "It's unsustainable", what they really mean is that it doesn't work for them or their wealthy donors. 

For the rest of us plebs, it's important we challenge the accepted notion in right wing/ mainstream politics that public health (or any public service for that matter) is unsustainable and inferior. 

I dunno about you, but I need our public health service. 

Well said. Have a listen to this formidable woman- the clip is edited, but the gist is in tact. Total annihilation of our system.

• Like 4

It is beginning to look like things are about to come to a head. If Trump is going to make a move it will likely be next Friday or Saturday (weekend, Christmas on Monday). Here we go...

As if more evidence were needed that Trump is not a well man, he also can't drink from a glass properly. He drinks like a toddler.

He's covering something, or bizarrely weird.

Edited by Chindie

3 minutes ago, Chindie said:

As if more evidence were needed that Trump is not a well man, he also can't drink from a glass properly. He drinks like a toddler.

He's covering something, or bizarrely weird.

giphy.webp

Â