U.S. Politics

maqroll

“I must also say today: When we make generous contributions to the UN, we also have expectation that we will be respected,” she said. “What’s more, we are being asked to pay for the dubious privileges of being disrespected.”

Haley added: “If our investment fails, we have an obligation to spend our investment in other ways… The United States will remember this day.” 

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/dec/21/united-nations-un-vote-donald-trump-jerusalem-israel

It's nice that our global leader has stopped hiding its contempt for the rest of the world isn't it?

• Like 2

The similarities don't end there.

The groups of paid help clustered round to watch him signing something.

Forming a semicircle to watch him speak, with fawning, attentive expressions.

Standing alertly by, clutching a notebook to capture the utterings of the supreme leader.

Some kind of mental illness, a childish fantasy being played out in real life, with real consequences for real people.

Two cheeks of the same arse.

• Like 2

The figures are quite astonishing.

Vietnam changed the consciousness of the nation, helped form a counterculture, and drew attention to the important medical condition known as "bone spurs".

The greater numbers killed by avoidable accidents are so much greater, and yet make so much less impression.

• Like 2

This is outrageous.

It is a clear breach of the human rights of Mr Kushner, and more importantly it cuts across the sacred duty of institutions to maintain total client confidentiality at all times, whatever the circumstances.

US ambassador to Netherlands describes own words as 'fake news'

New ambassador Pete Hoekstra then denied saying he’d used the phrase in interview with Dutch TV

The US ambassador to the Netherlands faced an excruciating moment on television when he denied ever saying that there were no-go zones in the Netherlands, calling the suggestion “fake news”.

Trump’s new choice for ambassador, Pete Hoekstra, who was only sworn in by the vice president, Mike Pence, on 11 December, was being interviewed for current affairs programme Nieuwsuur by reporter Wouter Zwart.

Zwart says: “You mentioned in a debate that there are no-go zones in the Netherlands, and that cars and politicians are being set on fire in the Netherlands.”

Hoekstra replies: “I didn’t say that. This is actually an incorrect statement. We would call it fake news.”

Hoekstra is then shown clips of him saying: “The Islamic movement has now gotten to a point where they have put Europe into chaos. Chaos in the Netherlands, there are cars being burnt, there are politicians that are being burnt ... and yes there are no-go zones in the Netherlands.”

Challenged about having called this “fake news”, Hoekstra then went on to deny to Zwart that he had in fact used the phrase “fake news”.

“I didn’t call that fake news. I didn’t use the words today. I don’t think I did.”

Hoekstra, who was born in Groningen in the Netherlands, was a Republican Congressman for Michigan between 1993 and 2011, and served as chair of the House intelligence committee for two years during that time.

• Like 3

Oh dear.  The turf war between white supremacist Bannon and the clueless spawn of the evil dictator has reached a new low.

Donald Trump’s daughter Ivanka and her husband Jared Kushner are under fresh scrutiny over their influence at the White House after a very public eruption of their feud with former chief strategist Steve Bannon.

In a gloves-off interview with Vanity Fair magazine, Bannon laid bare the mutual enmity with the senior advisers to the president, one of the worst-kept secrets of the Trump administration.

“The railhead of all bad decisions is the same railhead: Javanka,” he said, using a nickname that conflates the couple.

Bannon, who returned to rightwing site Breitbart News after being forced out of the White House in August, recalled an Oval Office meeting in which he accused Ivanka of being “the queen of leaks”. The first daughter allegedly retorted:

I'm afraid I can't quote what she said, because it breaches site rules.

16 hours ago, snowychap said:

That's the President tweeting about the current deputy director of the FBI. :o

who has been caught with his pants down... actually caught, not just alleged via anonymous sources. Whatever about Trump, the FBI is a thoroughly corrupt organization.

8 minutes ago, villakram said:

who has been caught with his pants down... actually caught, not just alleged via anonymous sources. Whatever about Trump, the FBI is a thoroughly corrupt organization.

That's all very well but then they should go through procedures to deal with and address that. Has McCabe been removed from his post? Has he been suspended?

My point was not about who had done right or wrong but that you have the holder of the highest office in the US making public snide comments about another very senior ('non-political') official.

• Like 1

Â