U.S. Politics

maqroll

1 hour ago, StefanAVFC said:

Franken resigns and a paedophile will win in Alabama and a sex pest is in the Whitehouse. 

"Party of family values"

Franken not resigning sooner probably hasn't helped with the campaign to stop the paedophile winning in Alabama, but yeah, those good old-fashioned conservative 'values voters' aren't looking too good right now are they. 

• Like 1

It's more important that Moore is a Republican than he is a upstanding individual.

Even taking away the alleged kiddie fiddling (...how often can say that about a politician? Too often?) he is opposed to fundamentals of the US constitution. He's basically a theocrat.

And like all good religious nutters, he's got skeletons in the closet and hypocrite running through him like a stick of a rock.

7 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Franken not resigning sooner probably hasn't helped with the campaign to stop the paedophile winning in Alabama, but yeah, those good old-fashioned conservative 'values voters' aren't looking too good right now are they. 

Franken was quite defiant in his speech. Didn't apologize about anything, and whined about others who had been accused and hadn't had to resign. It was very disappointing to be honest and he came across as petulant. I lost a lot of respect for him today.

I liked him as a Senator but I believe he should have resigned the day the 1st allegation came out. 

He also said that he planned to resign "in a few weeks" which I found very odd. One commentator was speculating that he may be waiting to see how Tuesday pans out as the tide of public opinion seems to be shifting so rapidly these days.

It is also not a complete loss to the Democrats as Minnesota has a Democratic Governor who will be able to appoint Franken's successor if and when he goes.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Chindie said:

It's more important that Moore is a Republican than he is a upstanding individual.

Even taking away the alleged kiddie fiddling (...how often can say that about a politician? Too often?) he is opposed to fundamentals of the US constitution. He's basically a theocrat.

And like all good religious nutters, he's got skeletons in the closet and hypocrite running through him like a stick of a rock.

This. A truly horrific human being.

Check out his take on science here.

4 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

Franken was quite defiant in his speech. Didn't apologize about anything, and whined about others who had been accused and hadn't had to resign. It was very disappointing to be honest and he came across as petulant. I lost a lot of respect for him today.

I liked him as a Senator but I believe he should have resigned the day the 1st allegation came out. 

He also said that he planned to resign "in a few weeks" which I found very odd. One commentator was speculating that he may be waiting to see how Tuesday pans out as the tide of public opinion seems to be shifting so rapidly these days.

It is also not a complete loss to the Democrats as Minnesota has a Democratic Governor who will be able to appoint Franken's successor if and when he goes.

I lost most of my respect for him - which wasn't massive to start with - when he was accused in the first place, but certainly his actions since then have been hopeless. He must have known that there would be numerous other accusers with reports coming out, but tried to brazen it out anyway. As you note in your last paragraph, it didn't even make much political sense for Dems to let him as he would be replaced by a Democrat who would be favoured to win in a Dem-leaning environment in 2018. I can see why he didn't want to resign, but I can't see why his colleagues didn't try to force him out faster (in general, this is an excellent opportunity for Dems to clean house, with them up by 8 points in the generic congressional ballot - why not get rid of all the creeps?). 

• Like 1

Apparently some sort of explosions in N.Y today at Port Authority Bus station, papers saying it's pipe bombs.

Not that far from Trump Tower, although I doubt he himself has ever been on a N.Y bus or on the subway.

Edited by sne

Vids of the event are up, luckily only the clown carrying the explosive got hurt in any significant way. Some ISIS inspired chap from Bangladesh... name and images of him looking suitably stupid post event (not gruesome) also floating around. 

https://nypost.com/2017/12/11/explosion-reported-at-port-authority-bus-terminal/?utm_campaign=SocialFlow&utm_source=NYPTwitter&utm_medium=SocialFlow

An ISIS-inspired would-be suicide bomber set off a homemade explosive device at the Port Authority Bus Terminal subway station Monday morning, seriously wounding himself and injuring three others, law enforcement sources said.

1 hour ago, villakram said:

So, Jones up 10pts in last Alabama pre-election poll... per Fox though, so not sure how to interpret this. Anyway, will be an interesting evening.

Fox had that listed as "amongst likely voters." Is that how polls are usually presented because I haven't seen that before? - seems like a disclaimer to me.

I think they are displaying the 10 point difference to try and get their viewers out to vote.

Edited by TheAuthority
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

Fox had that listed as "amongst likely voters." Is that how polls are usually presented because I haven't seen that before? - seems like a disclaimer to me.

I think they are displaying the 10 point difference to try and get their viewers out to vote.

Fox is considered a higher-quality pollster because they conduct live telephone interviews rather than robo-calls. It's also worth knowing that Fox the pollster has very little relation to Fox the news channel, and unlike the latter, is considered close to the top of the industry. 

If a poll states that it shows 'likely voters', that is in comparison to a poll of 'registered voters', which is the most common alternative. A 'likely voter' poll indicates that there was a screening question somewhere that asked voters whether they were likely to vote in this election. In theory, these polls are more accurate than 'registered voter' polls, which normally contain more people who feel a certain way but aren't actually going to go to the polling station (although they don't always end up less accurate). 

The strange dynamic in Alabama is that the average of polls show Moore ahead, but the hope for Democrats is that the 'better' polls are the ones showing the better results for Jones. 

Edited by HanoiVillan
  • Like 1

Â