U.S. Politics

maqroll

Just now, maqroll said:

It's pretty late, but they're keeping at it. 

I'm sure all of the Justices are tucked up in bed. No-one cares. 

They need to storm the capital when a national election is being certified to even get any airtime. 

Honestly, go home and think about how to actually make a difference. 

Gloves are off - you've got to top January 6th to make yourself heard.

3 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

I'm sure all of the Justices are tucked up in bed. No-one cares. 

They need to storm the capital when a national election is being certified to even get any airtime. 

Honestly, go home and think about how to actually make a difference. 

Gloves are off - you've got to top January 6th to make yourself heard.

normalising January 6th does not seem like a good idea, so I hope you are using a hyperbole. It should remain a disgrace in US history and not be repeated by either side.

If Roe v Wade would be overturned, Trump and Republicans have a strong argument for the next election(s), they have delivered what was promised. On the other side, I does take away one of the main goals of the religious/conservative movement. Next up, LGBTQ+ rights?

3 hours ago, maqroll said:

They'll ban same sex marriage next, and then just criminalize LGBTQ entirely. This is the trajectory. 

These far right rulings might just be the impetus for blue states to eventually secede, and that's not hyperbole. 

The fascism coming out of Florida and Texas is a harbinger. And as long as they keep trying to steal elections, there will be nothing we can do about it but secede.

I wonder how the conservatives would react to a secession, since they still wave the confederate flag surely they can't oppose if, say, California decides to leave (taking with them enourmous economic power/wealth)

4 hours ago, maqroll said:

They'll ban same sex marriage next, and then just criminalize LGBTQ entirely. This is the trajectory. 

These far right rulings might just be the impetus for blue states to eventually secede, and that's not hyperbole. 

The fascism coming out of Florida and Texas is a harbinger. And as long as they keep trying to steal elections, there will be nothing we can do about it but secede.

Won't they need to legalise secession first? As far as I'm aware there's no provision within the constitution for "backsies" to the union. It's a one way trip.

3 hours ago, desensitized43 said:

Won't they need to legalise secession first? As far as I'm aware there's no provision within the constitution for "backsies" to the union. It's a one way trip.

Yep, they'd have to carve out a provision. Basically change the framework which would be really hard to do constitutionally. But where there's a will there's a way, especially if both sides want it.

1 hour ago, StefanAVFC said:

Win an election and both chambers and still lose. Great stuff. 

Checks and balances US style = dictatorship of the minority. 

1 hour ago, StefanAVFC said:

Yep, the way it was all set up was supposed to be a positive but now it’s just imploding because it doesn’t work from the unequal electoral college, single senators putting blocks on appointments, filibuster to the unbalanced packing of Supreme Court.  

Partisan, extremism and religious ideology just causing havoc.

2 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

Everything about that country is batshit crazy. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Their priorities are deregulating guns, fossil fuel extraction, book banning, abortion outlawing, civil rights restrictions, prison and police expansion, exorbitant military spending, Healthcare denial, elimination of social security, the dismantling of public education and the postal service, building a giant wall, and rigging elections.

But god says so.

Belief that top Democrats are sex traffickers

Three in 10 Americans say that it is definitely or probably true that “top Democrats are involved in elite child sex-trafficking rings,” a specific element of the QAnon conspiracy theory that hasn’t been substantiated by any national media reporting or established groups that fight sex trafficking. When we asked a similar question of registered voters in 2020, slightly fewer (25%) said they thought this was true. 

Nearly Half of Republicans Now Think Top Democrats Are Running Pedophile Cabals

How do you even begin to reach out to a country that has become totally untethered from the truth?  Even 13% of Joe Biden voters believe it, God knows how they managed to go out and vote for him.  I can only assume that the 13% is the Democrat pro child sex trafficking wing of the party.  Food for thought for the "it's the left that have got more extreme" conversation.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Fun Factory said:

But god says so.

Oh yeah, I forgot they also want to turn everything into a Pentecostal snake charming carnival.

3 hours ago, maqroll said:

Their priorities are deregulating guns, fossil fuel extraction, book banning, abortion outlawing, civil rights restrictions, prison and police expansion, exorbitant military spending, Healthcare denial, elimination of social security, the dismantling of public education and the postal service, building a giant wall, and rigging elections.

We want the exact opposite of that.

But apart from that, what have the Romans ever done for us?

10 minutes ago, maqroll said:

I'd love to see a "Union of Progressive States" with a parliamentary system. Will never happen but it's nice to daydream about.

Would be an odd-looking map, though. 

Â