U.S. Politics

maqroll

1 hour ago, maqroll said:

Such an unforced foul by Trump, it's so completely absurd. We are being run by a little band of sociopaths. Time to get ready to fight.

Shocking as this move is (and it plainly is) it's pretty small beer relative to some of the things on his to-do list. At the top of that is ripping up the Iran nuclear deal.

Taking a hard line with Iran might work, or more likely it could lead to a regional war that sucks in the Turks, the US, Europe and Russia and makes Syria look like a warm up act.

That isn't an executive order I want to see. Ever.

• Like 1

9/11 will be seen as a turning point in history. Osama won, I bet he'd be ecstatic at the state of things right now. All those bombs and drones dropped by the US and trillions of dollars spent, and they still haven't defeated their 'enemy', meanwhile they are being gutted from within.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

9/11 will be seen as a turning point in history. Osama won, I bet he'd be ecstatic at the state of things right now. All those bombs and drones dropped by the US and trillions of dollars spent, and they still haven't defeated their 'enemy', meanwhile they are being gutted from within.

The break up of the US into individual countries would be amusing also.  One can dream.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

If Putin really wanted to stir things up he should have Trump assassinated by a muslim. I think America would implode on itself at this point. 

I think it's just as likely some high up dark figures in the US would get a Muslim to bump off trump to create carnage.

9 hours ago, maqroll said:

This country is breaking apart..

I guess you mean the US?

if you do then my answer is this.

**** GOOD!

They wanted it, they can have it.

the worse it gets the better.

****'em.

Edited by andyh

14 minutes ago, andyh said:

I guess you mean the US?

if you do then my answer is this.

**** GOOD!

They wanted it, they can have it.

the worse it gets the better.

****'em.

The majority of the country did not want this. 

What makes me sad, is if the democratic party hadn't been absolute words removed we could have Bernie Sanders as president right now. How much better could the world have been?

I do understand dcjonah. 

And of course it's awful for the people who did not vote him.

but it was pointed out for months, and months and months that the bloke REALLY IS is all the bad things that were said about him (they don't need repeating).

despite all that, they still elected him.

in the same way the brexiters will get their wish here.

you reap what you sow.

9 hours ago, Chindie said:

Also it's been discovered that his attack dogs, Bannon, Conway and Priebus, are now to attend National Security Council meetings, which previously was a no no. That's also extended to the Principals Committee, with the Joint Chief of Staff and Director of National Intelligence only asked to turn up when things concern them, despite previously having standing invites, as you'd expect of an interagency meeting. Which seems dodgy as ****.

Really shaky territory.

President Donald Trump is reshuffling the US National Security Council (NSC), downgrading the military chiefs of staff and giving a regular seat to his chief strategist Steve Bannon.

Mr Bannon, formerly the head of the populist right-wing, Breitbart News website, will join high-level discussions about national security.

The order was signed on Saturday.

The director of national intelligence and the joint chiefs will attend when discussions pertain to their areas.

Under previous administrations, the director and joint chiefs attended all meetings of the NSC's inner circle, the principals' committee.

BBC

Godwin's Law requires revision.

4 hours ago, Awol said:

Shocking as this move is (and it plainly is) it's pretty small beer relative to some of the things on his to-do list. At the top of that is ripping up the Iran nuclear deal.

Taking a hard line with Iran might work, or more likely it could lead to a regional war that sucks in the Turks, the US, Europe and Russia and makes Syria look like a warm up act.

That isn't an executive order I want to see. Ever.

I agree, that would be an appalling decision, and it's one I expect him to make at any moment.

Sadly, repealing that agreement is settled Republican party policy and every major candidate favoured doing so. This is why Republicans can't be trusted with foreign policy. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HanoiVillan said:

I agree, that would be an appalling decision, and it's one I expect him to make at any moment.

Sadly, repealing that agreement is settled Republican party policy and every major candidate favoured doing so. This is why Republicans can't be trusted with foreign policy. 

Thing is they will never persuade the other P4+1 to reimpose sanctions on Iran (far too much money to be made and the French are already back in Iran in a big way) so you're left with the military option. 

With US advisers in Iraq outnumbered 20-1 by Tehran run Shia militias Iran has many options to push back. If the situation starts to unravel it could go downhill fast.

Good news is Mattis and Tillerson are dead against breaking the agreement (even though both are anti-Iran) so I guess we'll see how much pull they have.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Awol said:

Thing is they will never persuade the other P4+1 to reimpose sanctions on Iran (far too much money to be made and the French are already back in Iran in a big way) so you're left with the military option. 

With US advisers in Iraq outnumbered 20-1 by Tehran run Shia militias Iran has many options to push back. If the situation starts to unravel it could go downhill fast.

Good news is Mattis and Tillerson are dead against breaking the agreement (even though both are anti-Iran) so I guess we'll see how much pull they have.

Yes, I don't love Mattis or Tillerson but they seem like the more level-headed administration members. 

Mattis famously isn't keen on torture, so we're likely to see how much pull he has on that issue first (Trump appears to be lining up an executive order reopening CIA 'black sites' this week). 

The state visit is going to be a horror show. They've already identified Charles as a problem, given how much his environmentalism has become a focus over the years, Trump is concerned about having 'a lecture'.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Chindie said:

The state visit is going to be a horror show. They've already identified Charles as a problem, given how much his environmentalism has become a focus over the years, Trump is concerned about having 'a lecture'.

You'll end up with a million people on the streets, disrupt, huge police costs and all the trouble that comes with that - it'll be a horror show. 

Â