U.S. Politics

maqroll

1 hour ago, Xela said:

Trump seems a little more reserved now, saying that he likes parts of Obamacare. 

Perhaps he is being advised well and been told to tone it down a bit

He's also toned down any talk of appointing investigators in to Hillary. Along with distancing himself from banning muslims. I wonder how some of the more enthusiastic Trump supporters will feel when they figure out he was playing them all along.

2 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

The taliban are of no real threat globally. keeping people in ignorance of what?

I'm thinking of the widespread campaign, funded by the Kochs and others and organised through various lobby groups, that seeks to make people believe there is no such thing as man-made climate change and no need to do anything differently to how it is done now.  If that weakens action on environmental issues, that will be a real global threat.  Trump's promises on unwinding the Paris agreement are extremely concerning, but the only reason he thinks it is acceptable to suggest that is because the lobby groups have managed to spread a lot of confusion, so that quite a lot of people don't think the scientific evidence and consensus is overwhelming, and don't understand the danger.

In terms of a direct comparison with the Taliban, the teachings of Christian fundamentalists about the earth being 4,000 years old and the rest are a closer parallel, but the underlying theme is one of wanting to propound ignorance in order to keep people doing what someone wants them to.  The Taliban are opposed to education, and there's a lot of people in the US (and other places) who are also keen to maintain a state of ignorance about things that would challenge their activities.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

He's also toned down any talk of appointing investigators in to Hillary. Along with distancing himself from banning muslims. I wonder how some of the more enthusiastic Trump supporters will feel when they figure out he was playing them all along.

I see some Republicans are now saying the wall will be a metaphorical one, to try to offer him a route out of his rather daft promise without losing face.  I imagine most of his supporters weren't thinking in that way.

15 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

They'll find ways to explain it away. He's almost a cult figure, it's going to take a lot for his supporters to even see him in a neutral light let alone turn on him.

Hopefully Mexico metophorically pay for it, because metophorical american steel and metaphorical american concrete aren't cheap.

It's all ok, just as long as it creates thousands of metaphorical jobs for american workers.

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Hopefully Mexico metophorically pay for it, because metophorical american steel and metaphorical american concrete aren't cheap.

It's all ok, just as long as it creates thousands of metaphorical jobs for american workers.

The white ones obviously...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

I think this is where for me you may be going wrong mate. You acknowledge more than one religion has its nut jobs but are singling out one. I am not sure if it was you but earlier in this thread I read someone say they don't like Indian doctors as some of them aren't very good. Fact is though, which I think was acknowledged by the very same poster, is that some white British doctors also aren't very good and make mistakes. It is therefore far better to say that some doctors are not very good.

All religions have their nut jobs. Why are Muslims being singled out? why has the President elect of America stated he wants a total ban on Muslims entering the country? It would be as ridiculous as me saying my Indian GP is imcopetnet so can we have a total ban on Indians being doctors.

I don't get this labelling certain groups based on the actions of a tiny minority. From thinking all bankers are greedy bastards to all benefit claimants being idol scrounging bastards and Muslims being evil terrorists. All based on the actions of a few. You approach issues and base your opinions on the worst of any group be it a Muslim, a Christian, a Doctor, a banker or an unemployed benefit claimant then you will find the likes of Farage and Trump an appealing alternative as they feed off your worst fears and make extreme measures seem the only cure.

Banning Muslims from entering America won't stop terrorism in fact it will do the opposite. More people will feel they can point the finger and abuse the Muslims already living in America and that will lead to more of them being radicalised. It is madness. Just as blaming immigration is for the shit the NHS is in over here, the lack of housing, the lack of decent social care, the suppression in wages. Immigration isn't to blame for any of those things but stopping it is the extreme measure offered up as the cure by some. The result of that as we have seen is the pointing the finger at the immigrants that already live here and the dramatic increase in hate crime.

I do agree with others that there is a responsibility on the rest of us to engage with those that see the likes of Trump as their only hope of change and a responsibility to offer up a good alternative to the status que. Clinton wasn't that in America. Had Saunders been the Democrat candidate Trump would now be back to being seen as the manipulative chancer who fell at the final hurdle. Total ignorance on the part of Democrats that led to Donald Trump of all people being the President and ignorance that political parties should take heed of in other countries including the UK. They have a responsibility to ensure the likes of Trump don't become the norm in Western Countries by acknowledging a need for change, engaging with those with an opposing view and offering up a positive alternative as if they don't then I dread to think the kind of world my children will be growing up in.

That weren't me. Also the Muslim thing was me responding to someone has asked me what the difference was between conservative Muslims and conservative British. Islam is by the the most troubling religion in this world. It's plain ridiculous that trump even came out with that statement tbf. im also hoping he goes back on his climate change views which I think he will.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

That weren't me. Also the Muslim thing was me responding to someone has asked me what the difference was between conservative Muslims and conservative British. Islam is by the the most troubling religion in this world. It's plain ridiculous that trump even came out with that statement tbf. im also hoping he goes back on his climate change views which I think he will.

I meant conservative American Christians, sorry for the mix-up Ruge. I'm not all that familiar with British conservatives to be fair, but I imagine their American counterparts are an entirely different kettle of fish.

9 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

I meant conservative American Christians, sorry for the mix-up Ruge. I'm not all that familiar with British conservatives to be fair, but I imagine their American counterparts are an entirely different kettle of fish.

More extreme, yes I'd imagine.

51 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

That sounds like good news for Philosophy faculties. :)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, StefanAVFC said:

It does appear that since trump has won, all the vileness and lies in his campaign suddenly didn't happen.

Brexit says hi.

Its the norm now. 

Just like those who campaigned to leave the EU, it was just rehetoric - when they actually won, nobody had a real clue as to what to do. 

I very much suspect 'The Donald' is the same. The next four years in America, hinges on whoever is chosen to actually run he country behind the scenes. 

honestly, the state of Western politics, it's a **** wrapped up in an omnishambles. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Straggler said:

http://tinyurl.com/hz9rp3g

History Tells Us What Will Happen Next With Brexit And Trump

It seems we’re entering another of those stupid seasons humans impose on themselves at fairly regular intervals.

My background is archaeology, so also history and anthropology. It leads me to look at big historical patterns. My theory is that most peoples’ perspective of history is limited to the experience communicated by their parents and grandparents, so 50-100 years. To go beyond that you have to read, study and learn to untangle the propaganda that is inevitable in all telling of history. In a nutshell, at university I would fail a paper if I didn’t compare at least two, if not three opposing views on a topic. Taking one telling of events as gospel doesn’t wash in the comparative analytical method of research that forms the core of British academia. (I can’t speak for other systems, but they’re definitely not all alike in this way.)

his chap saved me writing a longer post

Boasts of a better perspective because other people only look at events in the last 50-100 years. Goes on to write an article that mostly (after a list of historical disasters and the obligatory referencing of Plato) talks about events that happened in the last 102 years. 

• Like 1

Â