Playstation 4

hogso

Just got Bloodborne GOTY for £24 on Tesco website. Bargain, especially as I'll get £11 back from CEX for standard version. Pretty much break even for original game + DLC but it's all on disc, which is good as my PS4 disk space is pretty sparse.

Software update 3.5 with some cool features.

Friend Online Notification – Want to know the moment your friends come online? With this update, you can, as we’ve added an option to be notified when members of your friends list sign in on the network. Notifications can be tailored to certain friends.Appear Offline – Sometimes you want to play a game or watch a movie without being interrupted. Now it’s easier to go incognito as we’ve added the option to appear offline. You can designate if you would like to appear offline when you log-in or at any time from your Profile or the Quick Menu.User Scheduled Event – Now it’s easier to organise a game session. We’ve added the ability to schedule a future gameplay session with your friends on the system. When your event starts, users who registered for the event will automatically be added to a party so you can start 

Remote play applications for Windows and Mac too.

I just tested it on Windows 10. It works well indeed. Much better than on a small phone screen. I can put the laptop on a small side table and play PlayStation whilst the Mrs watches Australia's next top model. So I'm pleased. It maxes out at 720p, there is latency and is sometimes jittery, but for games that don't require fast response times it'll do nicely.

• 2 weeks later...

Giant Bomb apparently have details on PS4.5, codenamed NEO.

Basically as expected, performance and minor graphical tweaks for games over standard PS4, 4k output. No shocks there.

Digital Foundry have corroborated this as well - the details there are going to be your upgraded PS4.

Edited by Chindie
Digital Foundry info
  • Like 1

I didn't see their business model as aiming it at ps4 owners and trying to flog them an upgrade, it's taking all the old bits of kit at a time when the manufacturing has been nailed and their prices are dropping and in theory so should so the RRP and actually managing to charge new customers more for it

Apple have done it with their phones for years

Massively pissed off tonight.

I was on the dashboard on the PS4, I turned off the DS4 as I wanted to use it on the PC in another room. Whilst using it on the PC, it somehow turned on on the PS4 and with the buttons I was pressing, purchased Dark Souls III with the season pass for £69.99. I contacted Sony within 20 minutes of this happening as I got an email thanking me for the purchase, they said they would refund it as I hadn't downloaded the game yet but the funds will only be refunded to my wallet on the PS4. I never buy anything on the store because it is so overpriced so having the money there is pretty useless for me. 

I asked for a manager to contact me tomorrow regarding this but the guy said it is highly unlikely they will do anything. **** off!

Edited by villarule123

10 minutes ago, villarule123 said:

I was on the dashboard on the PS4, I turned off the DS4 as I wanted to use it on the PC in another room. Whilst using it on the PC, it somehow turned on on the PS4 and with the buttons I was pressing, purchased Dark Souls III with the season pass for £69.99. I contacted Sony within 20 minutes of this happening as I got an email thanking me for the purchase, they said they would refund it as I hadn't downloaded the game yet but the funds will only be refunded to my wallet on the PS4. I never buy anything on the store because it is so overpriced so having the money there is pretty useless for me. 

I asked for a manager to contact me tomorrow regarding this but the guy said it is highly unlikely they will do anything. **** off!

Hahahahaha :D what are the chances. 

13 minutes ago, villarule123 said:

Claim it back from your credit card company.

No idea, it happened the other night and I found Trials Fusion running when I went downstairs to turn the TV off, so I made sure I turned it off properly tonight... so I thought.

What are the chances my bank (Natwest) will sort this out for me? What reasoning to I give when I tell them? I just want my money back in my bank, I don't want £70 in PS4 credit when I will never use it.

8 hours ago, PieFacE said:

i3fRn8j.png

Doesn't seem like enough of an improvement to go spend £400 on to be honest... 

It's actually quite a big leap in performance.. 

The CPU is nothing special but the CPU actually hasn't been holding the PS4 back by much. 

The big deal here is the GPU. Hardware in a console is always a lot more powerful than similar tech in a PC. The reasons for this are simple, for one a console is a dedicated piece of hardware it only has one task. It is also a single configuration device so there is zero need for drivers and other support to make sure the system is running the game optimally, as a result this grants developers direct access to the very core of the GPU access that even in an era of DX12 developers can't get on PC.

John Carmack former head of iD Software, now design lead at Oculus VR and all round genius stated accurately that the 1.8 TeraFLOP GPU in the PS4, is equivalent to a 3.6 TeraFLOP equivalent GPU in a PC. Now the GPU in the PS4K is running on the new AMD architecture and those 36 Compute Units will give the chip around 4.1 TeraFLOPs of performance to play with, now we already know that 1.8 TeraFLOPs is vastly more useful in a console than it would be in PC and the same applies here. If PS4K ships with a 4.1 TeraFLOP GPU, then using John Carmack's principal it'll be the equivalent of an 8.2 TeraFLOP GPU in a PC. To even get close to that in a PC you're looking at a GTX 980Ti (£600) or an AMD Fury X (£500), if this leak is accurate and my maths is correct the PS4K is actually the powerful beast everyone wished the PS4 was. 

PS. E3 in June this year is going to be rather interesting to say the least. We'll be seeing a fair bit about this new console there no doubt and all will become more clear. I will certainly rectify and correct any claims made in this post if I'm shown to be way off base come the big reveal. 

Just save the credit for all future Rocket League DLC packs and DLC for whatever other games your play tbh.

11 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

If the controller is tuned in to your pc, how can it also be tuned in to your ps4? Doesn't one thing "block" the other from seeing it?

Naw, it's happened to me before. Seems like if the controller is close enough to the PS4 and is switched on, it'll switch on the system too, and it can be a surprising distance. Fortunately I'm able to hear the beep of the PS4 turning on from where my PC is, so I've always just gone and turned it off after.

The controller doesn't really 'tune in' to your PC though, presumably a piece of software is used to emulate controls on the DS4 for use on PC. That's what I do at least. The software can't turn off the functionality that makes the DS4 turn on the PS4 when close enough, so it'll always happen, I believe. Likewise the DS4 won't automatically know it's being used in a PC so...whoops!

Cover it with tin foil when you turn it on next time Jono :lol:

...AND THE CONTROLLER :crylaugh:

Edited by hogso
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, limpid said:

Claim it back from your credit card company.

Sony ban anyone who initiates a charge back.

They've got him by the balls, let them keep his money, or lose everything on his account.

8 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Sony ban anyone who initiates a charge back.

They've got him by the balls, let them keep his money, or lose everything on his account.

That (and the fact they leaked all the customer data on PSN previously) would mean I'd not trust them with a CC. Get a prepaid card and use that.

Â