Playstation 4

hogso

13 minutes ago, dubbs said:

Gonna be well pissed if this is the case.  Why bother buying a console then 3 years later they bring out a slight upgrade which realistically should have been implemented in the original anyway. 

Well, this is kind of the trend in consumer electronics, upgraded versions of hardware masquerading as 'new' and 'innovative' product. You will probably still get thousands of thick words removed sleeping outside the shops to buy this piece of shit too. 

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

Splitting the consumer base of effectively the same console after only 3 years? This is why Sony should never be on top in a generation, they always find a way of screwing consumers. When they are chasing they are better.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, dubbs said:

IGN speculated it might be some kind of add on rather than a brand new console.  Didn't Sega do that years ago??

They did, the Mega CD and 32x were technically 'add ons'. The Mega CD enabling much bigger CD games but also more colours and better processing and the 32x obviously boosting the graphics (there were even 32x CD games out here). 

Both were horrendously over priced and utterly shit and the sales were absolutely abysmal. 

The playstation '4.5' will be hard sell, I mean, is enhanced GPU really worth it? Is it really going to complete your life, the net improvement will probably be relatively minor. If Sony do go ahead with this add on then they'd better learn from the mistakes of Sega, namely marketing (which sucked big time for the Mega CD and especially 32X) and price point (which again sucked). 

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

The consoles gave been considered notably underpowered since release, a lot of developers were underwhelmed with the specs and felt they should have been a bit better. A minor upgrade could have knock on effects for titles gong forward and improve the experience.

It would split the userbase though and probably would be a difficult sell - consoles aren't phones and that mindset of upgrades just isn't there. 4k probably doesn't sell it either - especially as it'll be just an upscaler.

I could see this coming, you only have to look at the number of titles that aren't hitting 1080p/60fps, it's particularly bad for the Xbox One which has had quite a few games released at 720p which is criminal really for a 'next-gen' console, there's no way that console's lasting another 5-7 years without some sort of refresh. I don't regret purchasing a PS4 but when you consider the length of time that has passed since the 360/PS3 were released and the strides that should have been made, both consoles definitely seem to have come up short in terms of hardware.

It would be interesting to see how a PS4.5 would work, if they want it to sell I'm guessing that as well as allowing for 4K gaming it would have to make improvements to 1080p gaming (higher fps/image quality etc.) which would then leave the players with a bog standard PS4 buying the same titles but getting an inferior gaming experience (almost like PC gaming).

The problem I'd have with it would be if it costs as much or more than the PS4 did on release.  If I wanted to have to upgrade to get the same experience as my mates, I'd buy a PC.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PieFacE said:

Id definitely upgrade if I had a PS4.  Don't really understand why anyone has a problem with it.  All the games will still run on the old PS4 to the best of its ability.  

I think it's crude. You should expect that you'd get the best experience possible with the PS4, having dropped like £350 on it. If this 'add-on' is $400 then that means you'll end up having to spend over £600 in order to get the so called best experience. 

It's a crude way of cashing in, it's not like the technology wasn't there when the PS4 was released, smacks of Sony under-cutting consumers and trying to cash in later on. 

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

But if the PS4 had the same specs as the PS4K 3 years ago at launch it would have cost the consumer about £800-1000 per unit.  Which obviously no one would purchase.  

£350 is hardly a lot of money in technology terms,  new phones cost double that,  if you were expecting much better hardware than what the PS4 launched with for a £350 unit,  then you probably need to re-calibrate your expectations.  

Thing is the majority of people haven't moved to a 4K tv yet. It's still kind of a niche market they're aiming at. 

I bought a high end, mid range Samsung about 2 years ago so I just missed the 4K releases but there's no way I'm about to replace that unit already.

I'd be surprised if they went down the add on route. I think they will release a '2016 PS4.5' or whatever. All the rumours point towards relatively minor hardware tweaks that I would be surprised if many people would put down significant money to have - 4k capability (UHD Blu-ray maybe?), slight performance boosts, possibly 'cleaner' VR capability. I see them marketing it almost as a PS4 premium that offers better entertainment centre offering and slightly improved performance for an additional cost, and they keep selling the basic PS4 as their bread and butter.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dubbs said:

And a monumental and expensive kick in the teeth for those who did. 

I wouldn't think of it like that.

Sony aren't about to release a PS5, and abandon the PS4. It's most likely they're going to be releasing a revision of the PS4, at a higher price point, which offers fairly minor performance and feature upgrades - stable frame rates, consistent 1080p, perhaps some more grunt to handle VR without the need for the breakout box, capable of 4k upscaling, maybe UHD video capability. On the scale of things none of that is a game changer. It's nice, and developers will be happy to have a bit more scope for stable performance, but at the end of the day it's a PS4 still. Playing the same games. 

I wouldn't be rushing out to upgrade if that was the offering. It's nice. But wouldn't be enough to splash out unless the money was burning a hole in my pocket.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, dubbs said:

And a monumental and expensive kick in the teeth for those who did. 

I'm torn. On the one hand, you've got this generation's games, that's what you paid for, but yeah, you definitely have the expectation that when you buy a console, it's the top console of that product line for the next 5+ years until a new generation.

Most people don't have 4k TVs anyway, if it's an update to support upscaling and video playback for 4k, fair enough, if it has superior graphics performance, it'd be enough for me to rethink bothering with consoles next time around.

• Like 1

I suspect all will be revealed as e3.  Personally im all for consoles to have regular upgrades.  Especially as this generations consoles are really not great.  1080p / 60fps should be the standard for all games.  It's a tragedy that not all games can hit that. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I'm torn. On the one hand, you've got this generation's games, that's what you paid for, but yeah, you definitely have the expectation that when you buy a console, it's the top console of that product line for the next 5+ years until a new generation.

Most people don't have 4k TVs anyway, if it's an update to support upscaling and video playback for 4k, fair enough, if it has superior graphics performance, it'd be enough for me to rethink bothering with consoles next time around.

It's not going to be a generational leap. As far as games are concerned at absolute worst you might see the new model capable of higher detail (slightly better textures, slightly more detailed models - same as pushing the graphics slider on a PC between high and ultra, perhaps). More likely it'll be frame rate and resolution consistent and stable across titles, which the PS4 nearly does anyway. And the consistent rumour is 4k gaming resolution, which everyone is reporting as an upscaler because it's the only way they could do it and sell any of them. Anything else starts to significantly split the user base and potentially cause compatibility issues.

Elsewhere it might have capability for UHD Blu-ray, and more likely HDR, which will cost little to add in and is this year's buzz tech in TVs, and might be a more significant development than 4k is, if your TV can decode it, which isn't guaranteed even if you bought a new TV yesterday.

It's probably not going to offer much 90% of people will either notice or need.

• Like 1

The Wall Street Journal is carrying a story which echos Chind's thoughts, it won't split the userbase as such, the new model will just perform better. They also tout it as the beginning of the end for 'console generations'.  Supposedly it'll be revealed by Sony in October, just before Playstation VR's release. PSVR is £~350, PS4K will probably be about the same, so you're talking £600-700 for the pair, yeeowza.

Edited by hogso

15 hours ago, Chindie said:

It's probably not going to offer much 90% of people will either notice or need.

That's why I don't really see the point adding it this gen. Next gen absolutely & there's no harm in tweaking the current gen but it is still such a niche thing to be bringing out. I get they need to inovate & keep people interested but asking users to replace a unit for ever so slight better processing ect just doesn't seem worth it....to me at least. 

On a different note I've been really impressed with my ps4 since picking one up. Whenever I go on my Xbox one I just get angry at how slow/cluttered the os is. I'm surprised to say that if I had both since launch & had to pick after 3 months use I'd be picking the ps.

Â