Playstation 4

hogso

26 minutes ago, mightysasquatch said:

but asking users to replace a unit for ever so slight better processing ect just doesn't seem worth it....to me at least. 

I assume if you sold your current PS4 and then bought this new one it would cost you £150(ish). 

It's not really a lot of money for a hardware improvement for a 3 year old device. Though, if it's not worth it for you then you lose nothing by not upgrading, your PS4 games will still play the same as they ever could, so there's no issue?

The only thing which would slightly concern me is that people who have upgraded may get a slightly better experience online with frame rates, which could hinder your gameplay, but I imagine it would be marginal at best. 

Edited by PieFacE

19 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

I assume if you sold your current PS4 and then bought this new one it would cost you £150(ish). 

It's not really a lot of money for a hardware improvement for a 3 year old device. Though, if it's not worth it for you then you lose nothing by not upgrading, your PS4 games will still play the same as they ever could, so there's no issue?

The only thing which would slightly concern me is that people who have upgraded may get a slightly better experience online with frame rates, which could hinder your gameplay, but I imagine it would be marginal at best. 

Mariginal isn't really going to make people think "well that's absolutely worth it", a used 500gb ps4 at cex is worth £155 so I guess you'd be looking at £200 ish to get ever so slight better graphics & performance. The majority of people aren't going to go for that & the time this releases the trad-in price will no doubt be closer to £100-£120.

As I said I'm all for tweaking the current gen & completely understand what they're trying to do. I'd sooner they held off & add proper 4K next gen than a "make do" version now.

• Like 1

Just now, mightysasquatch said:

Mariginal isn't really going to make people think "well that's absolutely worth it", a used 500gb ps4 at cex is worth £155 so I guess you'd be looking at £200 ish to get ever so slight better graphics & performance. The majority of people aren't going to go for that & the time this releases the trad-in price will no doubt be closer to £100-£120.

As I said I'm all for tweaking the current gen & completely understand what they're trying to do. I'd sooner they held off & add proper 4K next gen than a "make do" version now.

Yeah I can see your point of view. I guess it really does depend on what this new version will offer. If it's the difference between playing games on a "medium" setting on the current PS4, but an "Ultra" setting on the PS4K, then I think it will be quite popular. I'd certainly get one. 

50 minutes ago, mightysasquatch said:

That's why I don't really see the point adding it this gen. Next gen absolutely & there's no harm in tweaking the current gen but it is still such a niche thing to be bringing out. I get they need to inovate & keep people interested but asking users to replace a unit for ever so slight better processing ect just doesn't seem worth it....to me at least. 

On a different note I've been really impressed with my ps4 since picking one up. Whenever I go on my Xbox one I just get angry at how slow/cluttered the os is. I'm surprised to say that if I had both since launch & had to pick after 3 months use I'd be picking the ps.

Plenty of people haven't bought PS4s yet, and if you've got the capability to do minor tweaks that your developers are whinging about, why not? Especially if some of those tweaks might add another feather to your cap and tie into marketing buzzwords that are hot currently and might force a few hands (HDR, 4k...). They don't really expect every PS4 owner to rush out and buy new ones, a few might but the sales pitch is basically for new adopters who want a few of these new features and may be prepared to pay a premium for it.

Further it's a first step to normalising a more regular upgrade cycle. Whether that catches or not is up in the air, but they'd like to get towards releasing new hardware on a shorter timescale than we've got currently - perhaps breaking the generation structure entirely.

1 minute ago, PieFacE said:

Yeah I can see your point of view. I guess it really does depend on what this new version will offer. If it's the difference between playing games on a "medium" setting on the current PS4, but an "Ultra" setting on the PS4K, then I think it will be quite popular. I'd certainly get one. 

If it was so much better if consider it but then it's spending on a TV as well, so it could end up costing a fair whack.

I bought my current TV 6 months before the Xbox dropped & I'll no doubt change on the next gen to, that's what I usually do. By then 4K would of become less of a new thing.

So rumour has it, and it is strictly rumour so this could be complete BS but....

*The price is currently $399.99 but may increase to $499.99 depending if they choose to use a more powerful CPU or not
*The GPU is twice as powerful as the current PS4 and is much faster
*No current trade-in plan for current PS4 users, but that could change
*Will have a 4k blu-ray player and will upscale games that aren't natively 4k
*Developers already have devkits for the PS4K and are developing games for it already, these games will be playable on the PS4 but with considering sacrifices to performance
*Only a hanfdul of current games will be getting upgraded to use the hardware advantages of the PS4K
* Release Q1 2017

That was taken from a thread on NeoGAF. 

Link here

Edited by PieFacE

Buying one if this winds up true which it almost has to be as Sony haven't said a thing, not even "we refuse to comment on rumour and speculation" literally nothing. This is something I have wanted for a long time as long console generations are just annoying, yes it saves people money and it saves Sony money on R&D but when PS3 bowed out it bowed out like 3 years later than it should have. Last generation went on for close to 8 years a good 3-4 years longer than any generation previously and it impacted dev cycles and game advancement, I am happy that Sony are striving to get rid of fixed generational gaps.

43 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

So rumour has it, and it is strictly rumour so this could be complete BS but....

*The price is currently $399.99 but may increase to $499.99 depending if they choose to use a more powerful CPU or not
*The GPU is twice as powerful as the current PS4 and is much faster
*No current trade-in plan for current PS4 users, but that could change
*Will have a 4k blu-ray player and will upscale games that aren't natively 4k
*Developers already have devkits for the PS4K and are developing games for it already, these games will be playable on the PS4 but with considering sacrifices to performance
*Only a hanfdul of current games will be getting upgraded to use the hardware advantages of the PS4K
* Release Q1 2017

That was taken from a thread on NeoGAF. 

Link here

I sincerely doubt devkits would be with developers of something as fundamental as what the CPU is hadn't been decided.

I think some of this is probably correct. But it's educated guesswork rather than inside knowledge.

• Like 1

Not surprised this is happening, the new consoles are so underwhelming. 30fps shouldn't be allowed these days and whatever they bring out surely will be able to play stuff at 60fps

After building a PC I'm not sure I'd get one of these but if the performance is much better I might. 

It's a bit of a piss take for the people who own a PS4 though 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Yup I'd probably jump on in it if the rumours are true, unless there's an Xbox equivalent. 

This generation of consoles was very poor, they can't go another 4 years with this hardware. 

It was shite from day one. When you see what a decent PC can do it makes you realize how bad they are. 

Playing Destiny and Bloodborne was a horrible experience and I'm worried that it will ruin Uncharted when that comes out

26 minutes ago, Chindie said:

I sincerely doubt devkits would be with developers of something as fundamental as what the CPU is hadn't been decided.

I think some of this is probably correct. But it's educated guesswork rather than inside knowledge.

Yeah you're probably right on the Devkit front to be fair, I'm not sure how easy it is to scale game development to different hardware, but I imagine most devs would want to know the final hardware specs before developing.

4 minutes ago, villarule123 said:

It was shite from day one. When you see what a decent PC can do it makes you realize how bad they are. 

Playing Destiny and Bloodborne was a horrible experience and I'm worried that it will ruin Uncharted when that comes out

Yup, it's been rubbish. Weirdly it wasn't until the last 2 years of the 360/PS3 lifecycle where I thought the hardware needed changing. We're what, 2 and a bit years of this cycle and I'd already like an upgrade? Under-powered from the go really. 

Edited by PieFacE

You can't expect PC performance from a £270 machine. A mid tier graphics card alone like the 970 costs that. It's funny seeing the outrage on that Neogaf thread though, the PS4 will still play the exact same games as the PS4K just at lower settings much like PC gaming.

Edited by Swerbs

3 hours ago, Chindie said:

Dev kits can have almost any hardware in it provided it shares a similar architecture with the consumer unit. It's why so many games launch with dodgy performance as last I heard the PS4 dev kit is a beast with 16GB RAM, a vastly better GPU and a better CPU, the issue is they can't do much of their balance tests until the game has been certified by Sony which happens in the final few months before release. So the PS4K dev kit likely just has a desktop AMD CPU in it, as regardless what Sony decide on for the finished unit they'll be using an APU (CPU/GPU hybrid) that will be a fair bit weaker.

1 hour ago, dubbs said:

That box which comes with the VR headset,  could that be the addon which had been speculated about? 

It's more likely that the box will incorporated into the new product.

Â