Playstation 4

hogso

Sony seem to have blocked Bethseda from implementing user mods for Fallout and Skyrim.

Pretty disappointing, and a big boost for the Xbox I think, especially if this is going to impact future titles. If I were looking at upgrading to one of the new versions of the consoles, this would be enough to sway be back over to the Xbox TBH.

PS4 Mod Update

After months of discussion with Sony, we regret to say that while we have long been ready to offer mod support on PlayStation 4, Sony has informed us they will not approve user mods the way they should work: where users can do anything they want for either Fallout 4 or Skyrim Special Edition.

Like you, we are disappointed by Sony’s decision given the considerable time and effort we have put into this project, and the amount of time our fans have waited for mod support to arrive. We consider this an important initiative and we hope to find other ways user mods can be available for our PlayStation audience. However, until Sony will allow us to offer proper mod support for PS4, that content for Fallout 4 and Skyrim on PlayStation 4 will not be available.

We will provide an update if and when this situation changes.

Edited by Davkaus

31 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

But will MS allow it? 

Certainly looks like it. They even invited Bethesda on stage to join them in officially announcing it when the Skyrim remaster was announced.

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Hmmm... that's an odd move by Sony, wonder what their motivation behind it was? 

They're also the ones dragging their heels over cross platform play for Rocket League between PS4/Xbox. Psyionix had it ready to go nearly 2 months ago, Microsoft have approved it, Sony are sitting around holding their dicks.

I don't think they're keen on surrendering their strangle hold on the platform, Sony like control.

10 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Hmmm... that's an odd move by Sony, wonder what their motivation behind it was? 

Their legacy isn't in the PC space so mods likely scare Sony a bit.

Microsoft on the other hand are down for the users to tweak and mod all they like for the most part. They have kept their file directories pretty much the same for 20+ years because it aids and assists the creative mod scene out there. So when Bethesda approached them with the idea of modding on Xbox One that kind of thinking is right down Microsoft's alley.. 

On 9/7/2016 at 21:39, LakotaDakota said:

You can buy an xbox one s with slightly updated hardware, fifa 17 & 4k blu-ray drive for £250 or a ps4 pro with an updated gpu and 4k upscaling for £350

hold on, if  understand this correctly.

Xbox One S will be upgraded same as PS4 Pro, so i'm guessing similar processing power....   but Xbox will come with Fifa17 and 4k Bluray... and will be £100 cheaper??

Am i missing something?  How? Why?

8 minutes ago, ender4 said:

hold on, if  understand this correctly.

Xbox One S will be upgraded same as PS4 Pro, so i'm guessing similar processing power....   but Xbox will come with Fifa17 and 4k Bluray... and will be £100 cheaper??

Am i missing something?  How? Why?

The Xbox One S has a minor power boost and the UHD player alongside the the HDR and 4k tech.

The PS4 Pro is a pretty significant power boost but no UHD player.

They aren't comparable. The Pro is a half way house between the S and what the Scorpio is rumoured to be more or less.

9 minutes ago, Chindie said:

The Xbox One S has a minor power boost and the UHD player alongside the the HDR and 4k tech.

The PS4 Pro is a pretty significant power boost but no UHD player.

They aren't comparable. The Pro is a half way house between the S and what the Scorpio is rumoured to be more or less.

ah ok, now i get it.

I'd rather have the extra power boost, though worth an extra £100 (not sure)

9 minutes ago, ender4 said:

ah ok, now i get it.

I'd rather have the extra power boost, though worth an extra £100 (not sure)

It's hard to judge. If you want a genuine boost in performance and you want it this year, the Pro is your choice. It's considerably more powerful than the standard PS4 to the extent that, leaving aside the 4k and HDR alone, it's making titles look a lot better (something that extends to the 1080p screen as well). It is flawed though, no UHD drive, and how its doing 4k and it's performance at 4k isn't perfect. And good as HDR is, does your TV support it and are you in an environment to see the benefit?

The Xbox One S has the UHD player, it has the HDR gaming thing, but it's performance boost is literally in the realm of a few frames here and there and the Scorpio is coming which everyone is expecting to be a serious, next gen esque, boost. The UHD player itself makes the thing exceptional value though.

Sony just had to backtrack fast on an executive saying PS4 Pro customers would have to pay for the patches that give them the better Visuals/4K..

I was waiting for the bubble to burst for Sony as they always do something to take the wind out of their sails..

Microsoft must be sitting around with a smile on their faces right now as they always said that a console war is a marathon and not a sprint and it seems like Sony are stumbling just a bit right now.. Scorpio may just wind up being the second wind that changes the face of this console war..

1 minute ago, PieFacE said:

Dunno, think Sony are just too far ahead now.

What do we think the life span of PS4 Pro is? Can't be much longer than 2 years before they bring out a new model to out power Scorpio.

PS4 Pro Pro

From what I am hearing this is it for the next 3-4 years.. It may be even longer than that based on the current backlash the PS4 Pro is getting.

Has Sony's hand been forced by VR? With the new headset launching in October, the original ps4 might be too underpowered to handle it properly.

The PS4 slim is bizarre. There seems to be no usp to it and, with ps4 fat consoles flooding the preowned marketplace after the launch of the Pro, it may struggle.

• Like 1

Â