Playstation 4

hogso

1 hour ago, PieFacE said:

Neo reveal today apparently, where's the hype? 

It feels like a spec bump rather than a new console though.  I guess it's a bit like when Apple reveal the 'S' model of their latest iPhone, it's interesting but it's not mind blowing. 

1 hour ago, The_Rev said:

It feels like a spec bump rather than a new console though.  I guess it's a bit like when Apple reveal the 'S' model of their latest iPhone, it's interesting but it's not mind blowing. 

Just out of interest, would you feel the same way about Scorpio?

I think we're going to see spec bumps from now on to be honest. Seems to be the way the industry is heading.

Edited by PieFacE

Pre Christmas price drop / ps4 slim details too, I'm hoping they drop some sort of game news be it a new release (really doubt it) or something moving up to the holiday slot

in reality it'll be half hour on neo, 15 minutes on slim and then 30 minutes plus on VR...I still think I'll watch it but I don't see much in it for me

think the biggest thing could be psn+ last month was shite and the cost is going up, they need something decent 

PS4 Pro.

4k heavy presentation, HDR, bigger HDD, appropriately boosted CPU and graphics. Extra grunt makes games look better and run better at 1080p.

Basically, as expected.

Also, I'll give Sony this. They've made Microsoft after the Scorpio announcement look imbecilic. Front and centre, plain language, straight forward we get what this thing does.

• Like 1

Didn't really tell us much did they?! Short and sweet, I think purposefully telling you about how it'll work with amazing TVs rather than telling us all what an amazing piece of kit it is, doesn't sound like its ahead of Scorpio and Sony know it, the problem with the whole thing was that 99.9% of people watching that will be doing so on a device that doesn't show what they were demonstrating

didnt convince me to buy one and a 4K tv

really surprised by the lack of VR

So the slim is exactly the same spec as standard, just smaller and the pro basically does the same upgrade as an xbox one s, a bit more powerful & 4k HDR support although for some reason they have't announced/confirmed 4k blu-ray playback yet which would be an absolutely astounding balls-up if it doesn't play them.

I'll get one next year just because I buy all the consoles, but that conference was a bit lame really.. 

@Chindie I don't see how it made Microsoft look imbecilic.. The Scorpio announcement was just that the actual unveiling next year will go into the same specifics as Sony did here. All Microsoft wanted to show was "new console next year, it's a beast look forward to it" and for that it worked. So Sony showing off the console for 45 minutes at a console showcase doesn't make Microsoft look bad at all cause Microsoft haven't done a console showcase yet.. Unless I misunderstood you?  

3 minutes ago, LakotaDakota said:

So the slim is exactly the same spec as standard, just smaller and the pro basically does the same upgrade as an xbox one s, a bit more powerful & 4k HDR support although for some reason they have't announced/confirmed 4k blu-ray playback yet which would be an absolutely astounding balls-up if it doesn't play them.

The slim is exactly that, a slightly smaller PS4.

The Pro is a power upgrade with a focus on a on 4k and HDR support but the capability to boost 1080p performance (developer update dependant) and better VR performance.

It's not really analogous to the Xbox One S because it's a bigger performance boost than that offers. Although it is interesting they've not mentioned a UHD drive.

1 minute ago, Daweii said:

I'll get one next year just because I buy all the consoles, but that conference was a bit lame really.. 

@Chindie I don't see how it made Microsoft look imbecilic.. The Scorpio announcement was just that the actual unveiling next year will go into the same specifics as Sony did here. All Microsoft wanted to show was "new console next year, it's a beast look forward to it" and for that it worked. So Sony showing off the console for 45 minutes at a console showcase doesn't make Microsoft look bad at all cause Microsoft haven't done a console showcase yet.. Unless I misunderstood you?  

Microsoft completely **** their message on the Scorpio. That may only have been announcing an announcement, but all the talk afterwards was about whether this thing was a 4k only machine etc etc and they completely garbled the message in response to the extent I'm still not sure they clarified it entirely.

Here Sony, accepting they are doing a full blown launch reveal, front and centre lay out what this thing does in very plain terms. Microsoft, somehow, **** that up. Even if the launch is a year away they must know if their product is going to offer anything to a huge swathe of their market. AVG they didn't.

• Like 1

Oh dear, No 4k blu-ray drive according to press...

my tv (& i am guessing most reasonable 4k tv's) already streams amazon/netflix in 4k with hdr on selected titles so this is not a feature for me anyway

Not really sure what sony are doing here after all blu-ray is essentially their format. This will surely go down as one of the stupidest decisions ever made by an electronics company.

Here look at our fancy new 4k machine that doesn't play 4k movies...

You can buy an xbox one s with slightly updated hardware, fifa 17 & 4k blu-ray drive for £250 or a ps4 pro with an updated gpu and 4k upscaling for £350

I know which one will be under more trees this christmas

Edited by LakotaDakota

I'm not that surprised it's missing the UHD drive. Keeps costs down and it's a format that sadly odd going to struggle. Throw money at the GPU and bin the drive in favour of streaming services and maintaining basic Blu-ray capability.

I think Sony has dropped a bollock not including a uhd drive in the pro and slim. Especially given the one s has one and will only be £250.

1 hour ago, LakotaDakota said:

I know which one will be under more trees this christmas

Doubt it, after a 75% sales increase in August due to the launch of the s the xbone sold 22k consoles in Europe, ps4 sold 61k...

sony has that much dominance in the market it can do stuff like this (global was 143k vs 73k) 

and then you throw that ok its future proofing but there are only circa 10m 4K tv owners in the states right now, can imagine the figure here being >1m, this push for 4K and 4K blu Rays...it's not there yet IMO...I think Sony might have gone early, can imagine the slim doing well but VR and pro sales being pretty slow, especially amongst existing ps4 owners

The issue for Sony is going first launches the PS4 Pro at a time where 4K isn't that common. It won't be much more common next year, but I'd assume more so than now and that is when Scorpio launches. If Microsoft do the whole "Scorpio - $399 - 1.8x more powerful than PS4 Pro - Comes with 4K Blu-Ray Drive" they will do very very well.. So I get the feeling that launching PS4 Pro this early is a negative.

4k is getting affordable though. Sure they may not be the best sets in the world but in the UK at least you can walk into argos/currys and buy a 55" 4k branded (lg) 2016 HDR set for under £700 and if you want something smaller they are getting close to £400 for a 43" samsung hdr set. These prices will be slashed again in the run upto christmas with black friday deals etc. Amazon prime day had 60" lg sets for £650, 55" will be below £500 in the next month or two.

I just can't see the logic in this really as many people will be replacing lcd/led at these prices.

Why would you give your only real competitor a highly desireable unique selling point when they are already priced upto £100/$100 cheaper and come bundled with this years FIFA or madden in the states.

They are focusing on the games which is fair enough but then spend a large portion advertising how great everything looks in 4k, look at out 4k tv's they are great, look at our new console don't the games look great with pro mode, look at the 4k movie streaming via netflix/youtube...

Want the best quality bitrate and be able to take advantage of deals/offers on 4k blu-ray movies? Here Look at this xbox one s that can play 4k blu-rays for £150 less than our standalone blu-ray player.... Oops

even the cheap lg tv's i mentioned already have 4k amazon/netflix built in anyway so it seems kinda pointless and they are adding this to the standard ps4 & slim anyway via a software patch although again this will not be true HDR, just a software HDR effect as this is not possible over hdmi 1.4

A major hurdle to 4k streaming is the quality /speed of internet which is why a lot of people still like discs for both games & movies. I am lucky enough to have 200mb broadband but the best i could get in my old house a couple of miles away was 10mb which is no use for streaming.

The ONLY difference between the machines is boosted/upscaled graphics. The games are all just ps4 games but will basically be shipped with a standard graphical setting for bog standard ps4 and a shiny "pro mode" setting for the new machine, much like the graphcs options on a PC but they will not run natively in 4k anyway, just upscaled with better textures.

EA have already confirmed that mass effect andromeda is locked at 30fps on slim & pro so it is just graphical tweaks.

The games will undoubtebly look better than the current ps4 & xbox one (s included) but is slightly better graphics alone a good enough reason to buy a completely new machine when you will need a 4k tv to use it anyway?

And since you must have the 4k tv if you're going to buy the console then surely the ability to play 4k discs is a plus point yes?

It is using the same CPU (now overclocked to 2.1GHz rather than 1.66)  and slightly upgraded ram (8gb ddr5 @ 218gb/s rather than 176gb/s) which gives an extra 512mb memory increase for the pro mode settings. The only thing they have really changed is the GPU & physical look of the machine. There is still no external HDD support or backwards compatibility (other than the cack ps now)

It seems that developers do have the option to play around with graphics settings. Crystal dynamics have said that tomb raider comes with 3 settings :

4k - high frame rate 1080p (runs at between 30-45fps depending on what is happening) & enhanced visuals 1080p (locked at 30fps but with better rendering & lighting)

Edited by LakotaDakota

Â