Jimzk5

6 hours ago, Czechlad said:

Remember when Paul Lambert was their manager? Seems like it was ages ago

In typical Lambert fashion they went 4-5 games without scoring. They had Helder Costa and I think Ivan Cavaliero that season aswell upfront!

8 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

In a very surprising role reversal, I'm going to be more negative on Steve Bruce than you are and state that I'm 100% he would have been sacked by now with us in the relegation zone. 

Dunno really. I think the bottom 6-7 is really poor nowadays, up to 14th is barely averaging more than a point a game so 35 points would likely keep you up this season.

No doubt Xia would've blown all the promotion money already but I reckon we'd have signed some decent players (although that dosen't seem to have done Fulham much good!) Would've thought we'd have got Snodgrass in full time and he's been brilliant for West Ham this season. Get in a decent striker from somewhere and I reckon SB would've ground out four or five 1-0s like Warnock has done and had us bobbing around 12th-16th.

I struggle to imagine we'd have come up with a worse 11 than what Cardiff are putting out and they've done better than what I thought.

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

Dunno really. I think the bottom 6-7 is really poor nowadays, up to 14th is barely averaging more than a point a game so 35 points would likely keep you up this season.

No doubt Xia would've blown all the promotion money already but I reckon we'd have signed some decent players (although that dosen't seem to have done Fulham much good!) Would've thought we'd have got Snodgrass in full time and he's been brilliant for West Ham this season. Get in a decent striker from somewhere and I reckon SB would've ground out four or five 1-0s like Warnock has done and had us bobbing around 12th-16th.

I struggle to imagine we'd have come up with a worse 11 than what Cardiff are putting out and they've done better than what I thought.

Our squad (was?/is?) desperate. We'd have needed a whole new back four, at least one top striker, and several other players. 

Maybe you're right, and he'd have ground out some good results. 

21 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Our squad (was?/is?) desperate. We'd have needed a whole new back four, at least one top striker, and several other players. 

Maybe you're right, and he'd have ground out some good results. 

Well we've attracted good players down here (Tammy, Snoddy, Bolasie, John Terry etc) so I don't see why we couldn't have attracted some decent players for bottom half of premier league.

With all the 200m the financial meltdown wouldn't have happened (although Xia would've no doubt still been throwing money around and eventually bankrupted us). Pretty sure right after the play off defeat there was an article saying we were planning to bid for likes of Fellani and Javier Hernandez and had to scrap that after the defeat.

I loved the way via trolled wolves about our attendances compared to theirs.  Wolves fans are getting their kickers in a twist .

What's funny is I thought wolves fans would be loving whats happening at the Tesco bags yet they are more interested in us

11 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

I loved the way via trolled wolves about our attendances compared to theirs.  Wolves fans are getting their kickers in a twist .

What's funny is I thought wolves fans would be loving whats happening at the Tesco bags yet they are more interested in us

Is that Xia or VAR you meant lol?

TBH Wolves capacity is about 32k and they're getting 30k regularly. If they keep us this sort of level over next few seasons they could attract 40k regular I think. I would imagine end of the season the average attendances will be quite similar and we have 10k more seats to play with.

Now dear old Dr Tony. So let me get this right, he's poking fun at a club with Chinese owners who are delivering on their grandiose plans and are also paying their bills on time....sorry have I missed something?!

And the Tesco Bags could quite easily be playing them again next season so I can certainly see why they're being amused at us probably having another failed promotion bid.

Edited by VillaChris
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Is that Xia or VAR you meant lol?

TBH Wolves capacity is about 32k and they're getting 30k regularly. If they keep us this sort of level over next few seasons they could attract 40k regular I think. I would imagine end of the season the average attendances will be quite similar and we have 10k more seats to play with.

Now dear old Dr Tony. So let me get this right, he's poking fun at a club with Chinese owners who are delivering on their grandiose plans and are also paying their bills on time....sorry have I missed something?!

And the Tesco Bags could quite easily be playing them again next season so I can certainly see why they're being amused at us probably having another failed promotion bid.

We attract bigger crowds in the championship than them. They would not get 40k crowds. Not a chance

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

We attract bigger crowds in the championship than them. They would not get 40k crowds. Not a chance

Wolves are generally a very well supported club, they were getting 25k regularly when mid table in the championship. I think at a  push they could although would obviously need to be pushing for europe on regular basis like this season.

Only other Midlands club capable of this as WBA have very mediocre support by comparison and SHA obviously aren't in the conversation.

On ‎11‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 22:47, VillaChris said:

Wolves are generally a very well supported club, they were getting 25k regularly when mid table in the championship. I think at a  push they could although would obviously need to be pushing for europe on regular basis like this season.

Only other Midlands club capable of this as WBA have very mediocre support by comparison and SHA obviously aren't in the conversation.

SHA used to get 50K gates.  during the 70s. Averaged more than Villa for a couple of seasons. Guess the fan base isn't as big now. WBA very rarely attracted anything like 40k even during the days of late 70s when they had the most exiting team in the country. 

41 minutes ago, PaulC said:

SHA used to get 50K gates.  during the 70s. Averaged more than Villa for a couple of seasons. Guess the fan base isn't as big now. WBA very rarely attracted anything like 40k even during the days of late 70s when they had the most exiting team in the country. 

highest average attendance per seasoon they ever had was 36000 and from that season only got 50k was vs United

They got over 50000 against leeds as well the following season. The season you are talking about they were the 4th best supported club in the country. That was their one big chance to break into the big-time with Francis, Latchford and Burns but they blew it 

23 minutes ago, PaulC said:

They got over 50000 against leeds as well the following season. The season you are talking about they were the 4th best supported club in the country. That was their one big chance to break into the big-time with Francis, Latchford and Burns but they blew it 

Yeah but in those days Villa fans would go to the sty with their mates and vice versa.  Madness to our generation but my old man tells me it used to happen loads.   

Not sure when it all changed but interesting non the less!

• 2 weeks later...

i think the FA cup is about to tell us a bit about this wolves team, i've happily labelled the likes of west ham and everton as nothing clubs because they're ambition is 10th - 7th in the PL, are wolves the same? the draw and who is left looks incredibly kind to them, one more good draw away from wembley and i would say after this round they could be the 3rd best team left in it* if they decide to play a weakened team because they would rather chase 7th thats madness (even if they get it)

* i would put them above watford because of their record vs the "big boys" this season, beat chelsea and drew with city at home and drew with utd away

14 hours ago, villa4europe said:

i think the FA cup is about to tell us a bit about this wolves team, i've happily labelled the likes of west ham and everton as nothing clubs because they're ambition is 10th - 7th in the PL, are wolves the same? the draw and who is left looks incredibly kind to them, one more good draw away from wembley and i would say after this round they could be the 3rd best team left in it* if they decide to play a weakened team because they would rather chase 7th thats madness (even if they get it)

* i would put them above watford because of their record vs the "big boys" this season, beat chelsea and drew with city at home and drew with utd away

Won't last like I said. When the big boys start taking all their players. You think the likes of unite dliverpool and spurs will allow wolves to take their CL places? Not a hope in hell they will start unsettling their players like neves

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Won't last like I said. When the big boys start taking all their players. You think the likes of unite dliverpool and spurs will allow wolves to take their CL places? Not a hope in hell they will start unsettling their players like neves

definitely, all the more reason to go for the FA cup this season

• Thanks 1

Â