Jimzk5

They could have hired somebody shitter. Lampard, Parker and Bruce are available still

He did well keeping Bournemouth up, they have enough probably to avoid going down but it wont be a fun season

3 hours ago, MarkLillis said:

Another Midlands club whose fans couldn’t stay humble during a successful period.

They just don’t understand success (relative) is not sustainable for clubs like them.

We have experienced many more successful cycles over the years than them….I tried to explain what would happen as I did to Baggies fans.

When you are good enjoy it! What’s your success got to do with Villa?

If our current uptrend continues do you think for one minute the Holte End will going on about a gap? Or singing about being pride of the midlands?

At least they actually played in Europe and got into a European semifinal. Baggies were just embarrassing. Celebrating finishing midtable in the PL during our worst period in recent history. It was only fitting that we crossed paths on our way up and their way down in the playoff semifinal.

37 minutes ago, BOF said:

It may or may not work for him, but people are slightly downplaying quite what he did at Bournemouth. He did a fantastic job there and they were nowhere near relegation. Almost everyone had them as dead certs. Yet from a points perspective he essentially got them to midtable.

Will be interesting to see how he fares if he can’t spend any money.

I think he’s a better coach than we give him credit for.

Still hoping they drop along with Luton and Bournemouth.

I think it will be dependent on his type of football.  They have had a pre season playing the way Lopetegui wants.  New manager coaches come in and change all that then they could be in trouble.

If ONeill is astute he won't change much.  And gradually do things his way.

1 hour ago, Keyblade said:

At least they actually played in Europe and got into a European semifinal. Baggies were just embarrassing. Celebrating finishing midtable in the PL during our worst period in recent history. It was only fitting that we crossed paths on our way up and their way down in the playoff semifinal.

Lol remember all that pride of the midlands garbage they came out with. Such a weird club 

1 hour ago, Keyblade said:

From my experience working in Wolverhampton surrounded by wolves fans their problem was they bluntly refused to listen to me when I said they won't crack top 6 and their momentum will stop, it's a near impossible nut to crack with the odds and the rules stacked against you

Wouldn't listen, just plowed on with the mind the gap nonsense and the belief that they'd get bigger and bigger

5 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

From my experience working in Wolverhampton surrounded by wolves fans their problem was they bluntly refused to listen to me when I said they won't crack top 6 and their momentum will stop, it's a near impossible nut to crack with the odds and the rules stacked against you

Wouldn't listen, just plowed on with the mind the gap nonsense and the belief that they'd get bigger and bigger

I imagine you’d get the same response from Villa fans to be fair - and we’ve only finished 7th once. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

Which fair enough, ride the high when you're doing well like we are now. We're talking about CL. But it was obvious it was built on a deck of cards. You can only get so many cheap (dodgy) Mendes deals and they'll only get you so far. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BOF said:

It may or may not work for him, but people are slightly downplaying quite what he did at Bournemouth. He did a fantastic job there and they were nowhere near relegation. Almost everyone had them as dead certs. Yet from a points perspective he essentially got them to midtable.

I remember watching them against us at villa park. They looked absolutely awful.

Im convinced if there was another half a season he would have taken them down. I dont think he will last past January personally

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I imagine you’d get the same response from Villa fans to be fair - and we’ve only finished 7th once. 

Nah I dunno, kind of but not as bad because we didn't have that much momentum and because we did the 6rh thing before think we have a slightly more pessimistic fan base

The ones I worked with were convinced it was happening and nothing could stop them, almost like Newcastle now but Newcastle obviously have a reason for it

Wolves momentum was good to be fair to them, it was just always slowing down and they couldn't see it

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Which fair enough, ride the high when you're doing well like we are now. We're talking about CL. But it was obvious it was built on a deck of cards. You can only get so many cheap (dodgy) Mendes deals and they'll only get you so far. 

I thought it would be Mendes that was their undoing, that he'd cash in on their star players at times that killed them but other than jota he didn't really, neves was there far longer than I expected

If anything I'd say jimenzs injury was their undoing

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I’m not so sure.

Some obviously… but my point was that Wolves fans had been so starved of success that they couldn’t handle it in a magnanimous way!

Wheras at Villa we’ve seen it come and go over the last 40 years or so…so many times.

We went from European champions to Div2 in five years ffs!

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

That's the thing, they had a couple of 10/10 windows, signing the likes of Neves, Jota, Jimenez, Moutinho on really good deals, got other good solid players like Jonny, Dendocker, and Saiss for reasonable fees, and they just thought it would last forever.

It's hard to name a good value-for-money signing they've made since then, Dawson is the only one I can think of, Neto possibly.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Teale's 'tache said:

That's the thing, they had a couple of 10/10 windows, signing the likes of Neves, Jota, Jimenez, Moutinho on really good deals, got other good solid players like Jonny, Dendocker, and Saiss for reasonable fees, and they just thought it would last forever.

It's hard to name a good value-for-money signing they've made since then, Dawson is the only one I can think of, Neto possibly.

Got the balance wrong, on paper they signed some good kids, ait nouri, Hoever, vitinha, even silva but none of them were ready

I know they subsequently finished seventh and the following season they finished seventh again and they had a reasonable run in Europe and they’ve had plenty of moments to look back on. 

I’m aware of all that and so I’m aware that this musing doesn’t really hold up to scrutiny.

But when they threw away that two goal lead in the semi final against Watford…it felt like the footballing gods were saying “Ah no, sorry Wolves, you’re not able to join us here on Mount Olympus so just like Icarus you must now crash back down to earth, swatted by our wrath which we will channel through Gerard Deulofeu and Troy Deeney.”

It’s an intangible feeling, but a sort of sliding doors moment where they’ve never quite got back to that “We can do anything” mentality from that day.

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

Got the balance wrong, on paper they signed some good kids, ait nouri, Hoever, vitinha, even silva but none of them were ready

Yep, it was odd change of transfer policy, Nuno never really rotated and was very risk averse, his success was built with players pretty much already the finished article. Suddenly dumping a load of unprepared kids on him at a time when he was trying to change system was not very smart. Turns out a lot of them were good players, just didn't settle or like you say were not ready.

Â