Jimzk5

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2023/may/24/lopetegui-not-seeking-signings-from-barcelona-or-madrid-but-wants-clarity?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

Wolves spent £200,000,000 last season. On what?! This on its own is incredible. But, alongside...

Losing their best player this summer.

Traore bouncing on a free.

Manager might leave.

WTF is going on at the orange and brown bowl?

A few reports in recent days that they won't be spending big on idividual players any more, and will concentrate on players in the fifteen to twenty million range, another report this morning from Collomosse saying they're going to concentrate on players in the eight to fifteen million range with idea of finding 'hidden gems'.

This might not be there reasoning at all, but I had been thinking that Brighton's relative success could be dangerous for other clubs, as it wouldn't surprise me to see them look how well Brighton have done, try and emulate it but get it badly wrong.

1 hour ago, useless said:

A few reports in recent days that they won't be spending big on idividual players any more, and will concentrate on players in the fifteen to twenty million range, another report this morning from Collomosse saying they're going to concentrate on players in the eight to fifteen million range with idea of finding 'hidden gems'.

This might not be there reasoning at all, but I had been thinking that Brighton's relative success could be dangerous for other clubs, as it wouldn't surprise me to see them look how well Brighton have done, try and emulate it but get it badly wrong.

We signed 6 players in January including Cunha (£40m) and 2 huge fees were paid in the last summer window on Nunes (£44m) and Guedes (£30m) whilst Collins at £20m wasn't cheap either. Out of these signings, Lemina (£10m?) Dawson (£3m) Joao Gomes (£16m) have been successes and will form the spine of the team for next season. Cunha and Nunes show flashes of brilliance but can flatter to deceive so whilst they are guaranteed starters they haven't yet been value for money. Guedes is crap and plays and acts like he never wanted to move to England. You can therefore understand to a degree that the club look back at their business over the last few years and see the likes of Jota/Neves/Jonny/Neto/Lemina/J Gomes/Dawson as being outstanding value, with Guedes being crap and the jury still out on Silva/Cunha/Nunes. Only Jimenez was signed for a £30+m fee and was worth it but was ruined by a horrendous injury.

Having the current manager in charge and a centre forward who can move will be the key to our hopes of whether or not we can transfer our last 22 games form of 1.5 points per match into next season.

• Like 3

Fabio Silva managed just 16 goals in 51 games across the Dutch and Belgian leagues. Most of which came in the latter. A £35m deal which makes no sense and was definitely inflated far beyond his value because of Mendes. 

4 hours ago, Don_Simon said:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2023/may/24/lopetegui-not-seeking-signings-from-barcelona-or-madrid-but-wants-clarity?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

Wolves spent £200,000,000 last season. On what?! This on its own is incredible. But, alongside...

Losing their best player this summer.

Traore bouncing on a free.

Manager might leave.

WTF is going on at the orange and brown bowl?

Matheus Nunes and Cunha were nearly 80m combined I think. Nathan Collins came from Burnley for 20m I think and Guedes who massively flopped was 27.5m.

Ironically their best signings in last two years have been Mario Lemina and Craig Dawson, both in their 30s now but played big parts in keeping them up.

We're miles ahead of Wolves now, would take a disastrous couple of transfer windows for them to get close to us in the league.

5 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Fabio Silva managed just 16 goals in 51 games across the Dutch and Belgian leagues. Most of which came in the latter. A £35m deal which makes no sense and was definitely inflated far beyond his value because of Mendes. 

A goal every 130 minutes for PSV in the Eredivisie/Europa League with a couple of assists on top. He was overpriced, we overpaid and he might not ever be good enough for the Premier League but probably worth a punt at £15-£20m for a club somewhere.

23 minutes ago, Baldricks Cunning Plan said:

We signed 6 players in January including Cunha (£40m) and 2 huge fees were paid in the last summer window on Nunes (£44m) and Guedes (£30m) whilst Collins at £20m wasn't cheap either. Out of these signings, Lemina (£10m?) Dawson (£3m) Joao Gomes (£16m) have been successes and will form the spine of the team for next season. Cunha and Nunes show flashes of brilliance but can flatter to deceive so whilst they are guaranteed starters they haven't yet been value for money. Guedes is crap and plays and acts like he never wanted to move to England. You can therefore understand to a degree that the club look back at their business over the last few years and see the likes of Jota/Neves/Jonny/Neto/Lemina/J Gomes/Dawson as being outstanding value, with Guedes being crap and the jury still out on Silva/Cunha/Nunes. Only Jimenez was signed for a £30+m fee and was worth it but was ruined by a horrendous injury.

Having the current manager in charge and a centre forward who can move will be the key to our hopes of whether or not we can transfer our last 22 games form of 1.5 points per match into next season.

What happened to Sarabia, I thought he looked decent in his first few games and Lopetegui managed him at Sevilla so that looked a decent enough signing but with little to play for he just bench warms now?

27 minutes ago, Baldricks Cunning Plan said:

So your hamstrung for overpaying for crap/average players?

55 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

What happened to Sarabia, I thought he looked decent in his first few games and Lopetegui managed him at Sevilla so that looked a decent enough signing but with little to play for he just bench warms now?

I actually like him as a player and I think that the team looks better with him in it. He did start against Everton but the complaint so far is that he is not quite up to the physicality of the Premier League yet and he drifts out of games. His wife has recently given birth to twins so what with moving to a new country and all it has been a big upheaval to his life. Hopefully he'll come good next season.

I also forgot to mention that we moved from a 4-3-3 to a 4-4-1-1 with Nunes pushed out, and doing well on the wide right of midfield which is where Sarabia would probably be most suited to playing. 

Edited by Baldricks Cunning Plan
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

So your hamstrung for overpaying for crap/average players?

Partly although all teams have their hits and misses with regards to signings. Despite what is in the press, our FFP problems will only really start to bite from the 2024/25 season and even then should be overcome with one or two decent sales. As with when you sold Grealish for £100m which allowed you to spend for FFP purposes after your losses had built up, we had plenty of FFP wriggle room this season due to the sale of the likes of Gibbs White, Boly and Dendoncker for roughly £60m. Basically all of those players would have been at NIL on our books thus allowing us to spend £200m from an FFP perspective. Cash flow is a different matter though and if the owners want to limit the spending this summer than that will be up to them.

1 hour ago, Wainy316 said:

They're in danger of doing a Leicester I reckon.  We still won't be allowed to friggin' beat them though

Imagine how high up they would be in the table if they put as much effort into games as they do against us.

1 hour ago, Baldricks Cunning Plan said:

They also paid 15m for that Kalajdzic who did his ACL in the first game he played for them.

5 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

Imagine how high up they would be in the table if they put as much effort into games as they do against us.

Without a 99th minute equaliser on Saturday, our record under Lopetegui over a season would have us at 57 points and challenging for a European spot. 

1 hour ago, Baldricks Cunning Plan said:

A goal every 130 minutes for PSV in the Eredivisie/Europa League with a couple of assists on top. He was overpriced, we overpaid and he might not ever be good enough for the Premier League but probably worth a punt at £15-£20m for a club somewhere.

Do you think he’s going to stick around? I’ve read that he wants more loan experience - but you could perhaps recoup some of the expenditure if he keeps it up. 

22 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

Physically impossible. Against us they're like a League 2 side playing Man United in terms of the effort they put in - it's the sort of thing which you can only do a few times a season and with a massive inferiority complex.

1 minute ago, The_Steve said:

Do you think he’s going to stick around? I’ve read that he wants more loan experience - but you could perhaps recoup some of the expenditure if he keeps it up. 

He wants/needs to be playing regularly and his opportunities have been limited with us so it is understandable that he comments that he'd like to stay out on loan and gain minutes elsewhere. Personally I'd have him back in pre season and see how he shapes up before making a decision but I'm not sure if Lopetegui is keen on him. He was allowed to switch from Anderlecht to PSV in January at a time that when there were huge question marks on Costa/Jimenez being effective.  He's still only 20, has 3 years minimum left on his contract and has room for improvement so I think he will be of some value but our Chairman certainly had his pants pulled down by Mendes when he was signed. 

Some big figures leaving them this summer in a squad that already looks flawed, limited money to work with and manager looks miffed. It'll be a worrying season for Wolves.

Â