January 2013 Transfer Talk

maqroll

Spotted the thread and had a read.

If it was a hoax then so be it.

If it was real and we don't make signings then we all know (even if we didn't before) that the General more often than not spouts bollocks.

Perhaps the General was the 'PR Puppet' of Lerner and thought that all football fans were gullible fools and would swallow his comments as gospel.

Once he realised that quite a few people on here had an IQ higher than the average American he disappeared.

Watch as Liverpool sign Cortino and leave us well behind. I thought we had the chance to be as good as Liverplop now they have Rodgers at the helm a little like Lambert, I thought they would be our level, how wrong was I.

Edited by foreveryoung
  • Like 1

Apparently Inter accepted a €10 million offer from Galatasary for Sneijder. Why don't we ever bid on amazing players who are going at ridiculously cheap prices and instead go for overpriced average players? just like when Tottenham got Van Der Vaart for something like £8 million, we were far better at the time and didn't bother.

Apparently Inter accepted a €10 million offer from Galatasary for Sneijder. Why don't we ever bid on amazing players who are going at ridiculously cheap prices and instead go for overpriced average players? just like when Tottenham got Van Der Vaart for something like £8 million, we were far better at the time and didn't bother.

Because he's asking for £100k a week?

You might need to check your facts re Van der Vaart too.

Maybe because amazing players like the one you mentioned don't want to play for perennial relegation fodder and choose instead to go somewhere where they can ply their trade in European competition.

Just a thought!

i know it's been said before but i agree that Lambert is playing a cat and mouse game with the press and agents.

on one hand he could be managing our expectations by claiming there is little chance of signings - especially if any they are working on don't come off

but in the main I think he knows it would be stupid to show his hand to other clubs, he may have even been told off for making the Lescott comments.

January is the time that clubs and agents play hardball and do their best to fleece other clubs. I hate this window.

In the summer many players are naturally coming out of contract or are seeking a move and clubs are prepared to do business, in January no-one really wants to sell the want to strengthen.

Usually it is when one or two clubs finally decide to sell and have to buy that the market starts a carousel of nonsense and players begin to move.

The merry go round hasn't started yet i don't think.

Why don't we ever bid on amazing players who are going at ridiculously cheap prices and instead go for overpriced average players? just like when Tottenham got Van Der Vaart for something like £8 million, we were far better at the time and didn't bother.

This comment is about 4 years too late mate.

Like I said. There is money to spend. Maybe not a fortune but money nevertheless.

I dont recall any ITKs saying otherwise. Not genuine ones anyway.

I also dont recall Lambert saying he's unlikely to sign anybody. Just that he's prepared to go with what he has. He has to say that though doesnt he?

He cant say, "I have to buy players" because its a shtty way to play your hand. Levaes all the pressure on you to do business and all the leeway/invitation for agents to take the piss.

You have it make it a possibility that you can walk away without buying. No matter what business you're in.

Otherwise you get **** over.

For what its worth and no matter what is said to the press, I dont think anybody at Villa wants to let this window pass without adding to the squad.

Edited by Mazrim
  • Like 1

Once he realised that quite a few people on here had an IQ higher than the average American he disappeared.

To be fair, it's sometimes easy to see how he could have made that mistake.

Like I said. There is money to spend. Maybe not a fortune but money nevertheless.

I dont recall any ITKs saying otherwise. Not genuine ones anyway.

I also dont recall Lambert saying he's unlikely to sign anybody. Just that he's prepared to go with what he has. He has to say that though doesnt he?

He cant say, "I have to buy players" because its a shtty way to play your hand. Levaes all the pressure on you to do business and all the leeway/invitation for agents to take the piss.

You have it make it a possibility that you can walk away without buying. No matter what business you're in.

Otherwise you get **** over.

For what its worth and no matter what is said to the press, I dont think anybody at Villa wants to let this window pass without adding to the squad.

PL was even quoted earlier this month saying that we need more strength/ experience in the middle. Vlaar coming back will definately help the defence, but I still think we'll at least see a central midfielder signing.

If we could maybe still get Sissoko in then we would be a lot better.... we need a CDM to play next to Westwood, Delph played well imo against West Brom and it showed when he got injured that we lacked the physicality in the Center of the park... Any of Sissoko, Trotter or someone of that ilk that we could get in would help immensely as Bannan is not a CDM... far far from it as he gets out muscled too easily...

Then there's the CB position, this could be filled with relative ease, with Dunne off at the end of this season if we brought in James Chester now for 3-4m that would help until Dunne leaves and then we could bring Douglas in on a free for the start of the 13-4 season ... that would leave us with 5 cbs, also letting us loan Derrick Williams out to a Championship side. (That would be with us staying up.)

After that are the less needed positions (which will most likely be filled in the summer) of Back up Gk (should Given want to leave), Back up Lb, a proper Attacking Mid who can get past players, do the pretty things and maybe if Bent is to go then we need another Striker...

CM is the main prioty, be it sissoko or whoever.

A new LB would be nice because even though he played a lot better on saturday, I just dont think he has the quality.

A winger because if Gabby or N'Zogbia get injured we have no natural width.

I agree that CM is the priority. I'd be amazed if we didn't at least sign one strong central midfielder.

Indeed even if it's a bloody 22 year old Jamaican from sodding Bournemouth, I don't care where we sign the players from.... it matters if they gel as a team and can play together.... We need a Strong Mobile DM, whether it be Derek Boateng, Moussa Sissoko, Liam Trotter, Cheikhou Kouyate or a bloke from Bournemouth....

CM is the main prioty, be it sissoko or whoever.

A new LB would be nice because even though he played a lot better on saturday, I just dont think he has the quality.

A winger because if Gabby or N'Zogbia get injured we have no natural width.

I don't think our fullbacks are that much of an issue.

However, playing them in a 3-5-2 formation is.

They are expected to provide width in attack but also need to drop to cover the wingers from the opposition. All this with no real support/cover in front of them. It's asking too much and they are easily exposed by the stronger sides or even double-teamed against the weaker ones.

Swap to a 4-4-2 or 4-5-1 formation and their performances would improve - as would our defensive record.

Apparently Liverpool's bid for Ince has stalled.

The last couple of paragraph's in the article in the Mirror suggests that Liverpool are scouting Lazio's Modibo Diakete as well, who apparently we have also been watching.

The most tenuous of tenuous links.

Meanwhile, Lazio defender Modibo Diakite has turned down a final offer of a new contract - in the hope Liverpool will come in for him. The 25-year-old is a free agent at the end of the season, and his Rome club want to cash in now rather than lose him for nothing come the summer. Aston Villa are also watching developments, and it is believed Rodgers has sounded out Diakite's agents.

Edited by Ghost
  • Like 1