January 2013 Transfer Talk

maqroll

Again, do people seriously think this is down to our strikers?

Obviously people watching different football from me. Our strikers for the most part have shown that given chances they can score. It's blatantly obvious the missing piece is that midfield link.

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-fans-can-forget-851350

PAUL Lambert admits the Villa Park faithful are in dreamland if they expect expensive, proven Premier League signings like Scott Parker and Joleon Lescott this month.

As Villa prepare for today’s crunch survival clash at home to relegation rivals Southampton, Lambert insists he is striving to bolster his struggling young squad.

He is particularly looking to strengthen central midfield and central defence to preserve Villa’s Premier League status and keep their Wembley cup dreams alive.

But he revealed there will not be enough money to bring in a £6 million player and admits the notion of recruiting names like Parker and Lescott is fanciful.

It means there will be no marquee Darren Bent-style signings riding to the rescue like two years ago.

Amidst questions about his transfer plans for the current window, Lambert was asked: “When fans say things like ‘we need Joleon Lescott, we need Scott Parker’, are they in dreamland?”

To which the Villa boss replied: “Yes, money, I think that’s the reality of it. We can’t do it.”

Lambert was also pressed on how much transfer cash he would be given and ruled out the prospect of spending more than £6 million on a player.

“Yes, it’s probably fair to say we’ve not got that, so you have to box clever,” he said. “A lot of things get dominated by finance.

Chairman Randy Lerner backed Lambert with more than £20 million for a summer recruitment drive when he brought in seven of his own players – Karim El Ahmadi, Matthew Lowton, Ron Vlaar, Joe Bennett, Jordan Bowery, Ashley Westwood and Christian Benteke – while Brett Holman also arrived, having been recruited by the previous managerial regime.

Villa’s stuttering Premier League season so far has put them in a precarious position in the top flight table, but despite the risk of relegation, the claret and blues retain faith in their vision of investing in youth, which they are adamant is in the long-term interests of the club beyond this campaign.

With the Capital One Cup door to Wembley still slightly ajar and experienced players returning from injury, they are refusing to panic-spend their way out of trouble. However, it seems a risky strategy as the club would stand to lose much, much more if this season’s league results pattern continues between now and May and they are demoted to the Championship.

There is not a good time to miss out on the Premier League pots of gold, but this summer would be worse than ever with new TV deals generating a bumper windfall which guarantees every club at least £60 million revenue in 2013-14.

One way of Lambert generating transfer funds would be to cash in on unwanted players including Alan Hutton and Stephen Warnock, while it is also understood Villa would listen to offers for other senior stars.

But the claret and blues have not received enquiries about any players, with Lambert saying: “You can’t do anything if the phone doesn’t go.

“It’s not something where you pick up the phone to someone and say he’s for sale or he’s for sale. You don’t do that. If a phone call comes in then you deal with it.”

Lambert admitted central defence and central midfield was where he was looking to strengthen.

“It’s two areas we’re looking at, yes,” he said. “I never trust it until somebody walks through door and you actually see the guys.”

“We need some strength in the side, especially in the middle of the pitch.

“We’re trying to do something at this minute. We’re trying to do something.

“We need to try and do something this window, we have to try.”

Lambert added that recalling midfielder Jean Makoun, currently on a season-long loan at French club Rennes, was “not an option.

That's right because we have scored shit loads this season!

Our strikers have respectable goal numbers, our problem is, no one else in the team chips in. Benteke 9 and and Weimann 8, plus a few for Bent in games he has played. We don't need strikers right, we need to improve the crap that's behind them.

We need a DCM to help defensively, an ACM to help attack and a CB to **** defend.

That should be the MINIMUM for this window. The likelyhood of it happening is slim that all 3 will be brought in that have the necessary quality to have an immediate impact.

Lambert admitted central defence and central midfield was where he was looking to strengthen. It’s two areas we’re looking at, yes. I never trust it until somebody walks through door and you actually see the guys. We need some strength in the side, especially in the middle of the pitch. We’re trying to do something at this minute. We’re trying to do something. We need to try and do something this window, we have to try.”

Thank ****. Well atleast he knows where the issues are. He isn't oblivious to the need for steel in midfield. Thats calmed me a bit.

Edited by HalfTimePost

Methinks if we could maybe do this sort of business this month we may be in a better position.....

In

Gouffran 2-3m (depending on whether we can agree early move before contract expiry)

Dale Stephens 2-3m

Fredrick Sorensen/ James Chester (3m for either)

One Suprise Signing

Getting those players in would suppliment our team pretty well....

Gouffran and Charlie Nzo (The one who started attacking defenders) could frighten the pants off opposing defenders and create havoc and chances for Tekkers, Weimann, Bent and Gabby....

Sorensen/Chester, either would help our defense out, it's pretty obvious we aren't going to go for the Lescott's of this world.... I'd love Douglas from

Twente.... never know but the above two seem likely to happen if we did go for them!!

Dale Stephens.... Ball playing Center Mid to compliment Westwood... more of a Gerrard/ Lamps Box to Box CM who can carry the ball and pass it to a team mate which should (In theory) help us maintain possession and not loose the ball as much in stupid areas....

Surprise Signing.... Lambert did it last time with Westwood and I maybe think he will pull one or two out of the hat deadline day maybe... could be a loan or permanent signing for any position, would love a ball winning strong DM which I think we will go for to compliment Westwood, Bannan, KEA and Stephens if we should go for him.... Maybe another defender of the ilk of Cavanda (Young potential to grow and get better)...

Oh ff'ing dear! This club is in real trouble.

I really thought Lerner would back Lambert this month, but I was wrong. Two players will not cut it for our very flimsy inexperienced squad. It kind of makes tomorrow even more crucial now. Things are becoming very worrying for our club. The squad just simply isn't good enough as it stands.

There's a big difference between spending no more than £6m on players and no more than £6m on a single player.

THIS!!! I'd expect a few signings too come in of the Gouffran, Stephens, CB and a Strong DM type coming into VP..... those 4 and I'd be happier with how the squad is looking.....

THIS!!! I'd expect a few signings too come in of the Gouffran, Stephens, CB and a Strong DM type coming into VP..... those 4 and I'd be happier with how the squad is looking.....

I'd love to know how many names you have reeled off this window.

Go on, build your ideal XI. ; )