January 2013 Transfer Talk

maqroll

The huge problem we have is that our squad is in such dire need of a complete overhaul it would probably take relegation to sort the mess out.

Sorry for a long list but I've spent a bit of time reflecting on where I think we are with the first eleven from todays game and what it needs.

Guzan - Is probably about as best a keeper we could have right now. Has looked commanding in the box but can't help such a poor defence and midfield. Will develop further with all the saves he will have to make this season!

Lichaj - Just does not look Premier League quality, he's had numerous seasons to break through and the run of games he's had has really shown up his limitations and liabilities. Should be sold to the first lower league team that will buy him for the pittance he would command. Who should replace him? Bennett was supposed to be the answer, but he has not taken his chance. We need an experienced left-back to fill this gap.

Lowton - Looks confident and assured on the right and enjoys getting forward. Will develop into a good, reliable pro.

Clark - The lad has shown some promise over the past few years but I think the baptism of fire he has had this season just hasnt worked - the lad looks too raw and rash. He's made some really clumsy mistakes and at times looks lik he just does not think. I don't think he is ready to see out a full season or good enough so we need an experienced centre back who can partner Vlaar.

Baker - Has made more of an impression than Clark but in less games. He's a little raw but nowhere near as clumsy as Clark and has more presense. I'd keep him and see where he goes.

Herd - Another one like Clark wo showed promise over the past few seasons but a prolonged run has shown their huge liabilities. Should be farmed out on loan, really. We need a strong, experienced battler in there to provide a bit of extra leadership. If we are to keep this 3-5-2 formation, I'd keep Vlaar and Baker together with a new player.

Bannan - Somedays he blows hot, somedays cold and you can see a drive in there to receive the ball and play a killer pass. In reality, the boy is just too small and weedy to be a proper, commanding centre midfielder. His passing is often astray and he stands off players too much. I'd keep Barry though as an impact sub, but we desperately need a tall, strong, hard bastard in there who can just stifle opponents and then get the ball forward.

Westwood - A good find from the lower leagues who will develop into a top player, and I feel would really benefit from a better midfield partner than wee Barry.

Holman - Was never really meant to be more than a squad player really, someone to add a bit of urgency in the final half an hour of matches and get at 'em, and perhaps get something out of nothing. He doesnt really do anything else though, so we could do with a strong, purposeful box-to-box midfielder than can unlock defenses.

Weimann - Has taken his chances well since coming into the team and has kept Bent out of the side, but still blows hot and cold on occasion due to his inexperience at this level. That saying I wouldnt want to rely on him to get the goals to keep us up. I hope Lambert has an experienced striker up his sleeve who can bury chances. Weimann is defeintely one for the future though.

Benteke - Theone player who looks like he could go to the very top, but at 21 is not ready to carry a team, as he is too raw. He could do a job with someone alongside him who can work off the chances he creates though, but they are just too few and far between without a quality midfield to back him up.

Our team must be built around Guzan, Lowton, Vlaar, Baker, Westwood and Benteke as things stand. Not sure whether Lerner will finance the five players that are needed but these are truly desperate times. I can't remember a Villa team that was so poor. If we go down this season it will not surprise me, was are that short on quality it is inevitable we will get found out in the end.

Defensive midfielder (Diame) an attacking central midfielder, a winger (Ince/Phillips), a centre back and a left back (Olson) is needed come the January transfer window. Priority is a DCM, need someone to protect the back-four and an attacking central midfielder to create chances for the front two (Benteke/Bent/Weimann/Gabby). Can't see him buying a centre back (with Vlaar and Dunne coming back) and same with a left back after he brought Bennett in the Summer from Boro.

This is my wish-list. Some of these aren't likely, some are even ridiculous but it is a wish list and my toes and fingers are crossed (Enough about my arthritis) that we bring in some of these players......at least one please Mr Lerner :)

Nathan Dyer

Ashley Williams

Anthony Pilkington

Wes Hoolahan

Jelle Vossen

Kamran Dukhi I've made this one up

Gokhan Inler

Rafael Van der Vaart

Clarence Seedorf

Ronaldinho

Thierry Henry

I do wonder whether he settling of the dispute with naaarrrrrich will make it easier / possible to now sign some players from them and whether or not the timing of the settlement is important coming as it does just prior to the January window opening

I wonder if some will be so much "ITK" this transfer window as they tried to make out last time? Or will they be believing of the pissed up waffle of a Sky reporter or the like and then claim that they have a telephone line through to Lambert's office? "Sky source believe ..........."

Lerner has gambled and is losing with his transfer policy. Some of the stupidity of the MON era certainly did a lot of damage especially in things like wages. The complete and utter U turn to the ridiculous situation we are in now where we rely on championship and lower players is destined for failure. Lambert is not a miracle worker despite what some may have you think and is not a draw to attract the type of player that we need by his reputation alone. We need players now that will as others have said hit the floor running, players who will have an immediate influence, players who can help make some of the many mistakes from games such as yesterday never happen again. I hope I am wrong but I do not think that either Lambert or Lerner can attract that type of player to the club.

I wonder if some will be so much "ITK" this transfer window as they tried to make out last time? Or will they be believing of the pissed up waffle of a Sky reporter or the like and then claim that they have a telephone line through to Lambert's office? "Sky source believe ..........."

Lerner has gambled and is losing with his transfer policy. Some of the stupidity of the MON era certainly did a lot of damage especially in things like wages. The complete and utter U turn to the ridiculous situation we are in now where we rely on championship and lower players is destined for failure. Lambert is not a miracle worker despite what some may have you think and is not a draw to attract the type of player that we need by his reputation alone. We need players now that will as others have said hit the floor running, players who will have an immediate influence, players who can help make some of the many mistakes from games such as yesterday never happen again. I hope I am wrong but I do not think that either Lambert or Lerner can attract that type of player to the club.

I agree with a lot of this. We desperately need 2 or 3 players of proven quality who will hit the ground running. What we certainly can't afford to do in January is sign players who are likely to take a dozen games to find their feet.

We certainly lack experience and leadership. It is noticeable how quick at times heads drop and we turn into an absolute shambles. It happened at Southampton after we conceded a couple of goals in quick succession, it happened against Man City and it happened again yesterday. It is however not surprising given the lack of nous we have in the team and it needs to be addressed in January.

im laughing out loud here, mainly because i dont want to cry, lol

now we can see our cracks in the team, ive been saying it all along, another CB is needed, clark and baker should only be off the bench for at least 2 more seasons

LB yes, unless stevens is going to be given a go

DCM, not sure who, but maybe someone whos a bit of a nut job

my wish list... (unrealistic as we can only seem to buy no names)

CB - Heitinga/Huth

LB - Olsson/Poulsen

DCM - meh!

we need 2-3 experienced palyers in to help the kids out. Ship out the likes of bannan, lichaj, herd and possibly n zogbia and get some experienced players in. We def need a strong CM, LB and a good left sided player. I am not writing the whole side off liek some have like one shocking result

lol Criscito, McGeady, Welliton, Plasil

-----------------Benteke---------------

-McGeady----------------Welliton----

-------------Plasil---Bannan-----------

----------------Westwood--------------

--Criscito---Clark--Vlaar--Lowton---

------------------Guzan------------------

Beast of a team

In terms of a wishlist I would like us to bring in Wanyama, Zaha, Weilderweld, Milner (Loan), and Guidetti (Loan).

However, being realistic the optimist in me hopes for Trotter, Pilkington, Austin, Ba (the CB not Demba).

The pessimist in me expects us to sign Morison and Shaun Derry.

January is massive for us as it could determine our Premiership survival chances. We need investment from RL and I trust PL to use it wisely. The likes of Bannan, Lichaj and Herd just aren't good/consistent enough for starting 11 places.

It is hard to see why any player would want to join us at the moment.

We are flogging a dead donkey in terms of wheeling out the same youngsters and the same excuses.

We have no proper width except Lowton, the strikers have to set up their own chances and crosses. Gabby is all we have and he is injured, Zog doesn't seem able to do a winger's job,

We have no-one who can take set pieces - Bannan gets a good cross in 1 in 5 which is poor, Westwood should takeover.

We still have a whole list of players who Lambert doesn't rate or don't deserve to play taking up squad places and wages: Warnock, Hutton, Bent, Nzogbia, Delfouneso, Ireland.

Incredibly average and limited players players like KEA, Herd, Bannan, Lichaj (harsh as he's been forced to play left back when i think he looks much better at CB or RB), Delph, Stevens, Bennett (hopefully the jury is still out on the last two)

And then inconsistent players who have shown promise and flashes of form but can't be relied on week in week out: Holman, Clark, Weimann, Baker.

Which leaves Vlaar, Guzan, Lowton, Gabby and Benteke as players who still have plenty of off days but are about the best we have.

I used to be able to speculate who should play where and what tactics we should use, now i haven't a clue, i just have to hope that each game Lambert has the kids so fired up that they close the opposition down like wild fire and we get a lucky breakaway via Benteke. Our tactics are all about stopping the opposition playing, we can't even score from set piece, it's a **** mess.

Think the first bit of your post is a bit much but the rest of it sadly is the way I see it too.

The players situation especially I agree with - far too many average players or players who just aren't consistent enough for the premier league.

At times yesterday it was like watching Chelsea vs Villa U21.. it was that bad.

We may well go on to win at Spurs but it doesn't change the mess we have in our squad.