January 2013 Transfer Talk

maqroll

God knows what mess Rafa will turn Chelsea into and who he will alienate - all I know is most players who've gone there don't do well if they fail and move on. Sidwell, SWP etc

I actually think Rafa is exactly the right type of manager to sort out Chelsea's primadonna dressing room. The players won't like it but for too long there has been too much player power at Chelsea and although their fans didn't want him i do think he'll do ok there.

Our squad has some good talents but desperately need some experienced players in there. Bent should be playing in Weimann's spot because Weimann just isn't ready yet. We need some experience in the midfield. A player that can help stabilize the midfield because Westwood and Bannan are too inconsistent but work very well together at times. We also need defenders badly.

Priorities:

We need a defensive midfielder who will sit in Bannans position who can pass the ball.

We need a new striker/winger who can play in Wiemanns position on the right side of the front three. Preferably one that can cross a ball.

We need a new centre back to partner Vlaar.

We need a creative midfielder who can link the attack and put some through balls. Ireland is good but we need someone even more creative.

I would not sell Bannan Wiemann Ireland but use them as squad players. We need starters who are better than these players though.

Bent sold to finance these signings.

• Like 1

A good cb

A beast of a cm

2 skillful quick wingers

Easy and we'll be flying.

I'd probably go for a lb before cb, but otherwise I agree. Wouldn't be against a cb, though. And if so, ship Dunne out.

A good cb

A beast of a cm

2 skillful quick wingers

Easy and we'll be flying.

Completely agree.

If we can offload Warnock, Hutton, Bent we could use their wages to bring in some quality players IMO. Would love to see two more "Ashley Young" type players. Maybe Tom Ince would be worth a punt.

I'm not entirely sure that we need to sign anyone. Our first team are all at a fairly comparable standard, we have no stand out weak areas. People will say Bannan and Weimann need replacing for the next few days because they had an off night yesterday, but all the players in the current first team are capable of equally good and equally sub standard performances. I think the easiest way forward is to look at the team you'd be happy to carry on with, and for me thats:

Guzan

Lowton Vlaar Clark/Baker (LB)

Westwood (CM)

(FW) Benteke Gabby

So yes, if we have money to spend, then it would be good to get a new CM in and perhaps a forward player, but at the same time you have to consider the fact that we already have Delph, KEA, Herd and Bannan competing for CM and NZogbia, Weimann, Holman and Albrighton competing for the forward position. For this reason, I won't really be expecting any signings.

Great player. on FM anyway.

Well he's kicked on since stepping up to the 1.Liga in reality as well. Think he's banged in something like 25 goals over the last two seasons from the right-side of Stuttgart's front three. Plenty creative, too.

Well he's kicked on since stepping up to the 1.Liga in reality as well. Think he's banged in something like 25 goals over the last two seasons from the right-side of Stuttgart's front three. Plenty creative, too.

Would he be a gettable signing? Are Stuttgart well placed in the league and therefore not see us as a step up? Would he have attracted interest in bigger clubs?

I'm not entirely sure that we need to sign anyone. Our first team are all at a fairly comparable standard, we have no stand out weak areas. People will say Bannan and Weimann need replacing for the next few days because they had an off night yesterday, but all the players in the current first team are capable of equally good and equally sub standard performances. I think the easiest way forward is to look at the team you'd be happy to carry on with, and for me thats:

Guzan

Lowton Vlaar Clark/Baker (LB)

Westwood (CM)

(FW) Benteke Gabby

So yes, if we have money to spend, then it would be good to get a new CM in and perhaps a forward player, but at the same time you have to consider the fact that we already have Delph, KEA, Herd and Bannan competing for CM and NZogbia, Weimann, Holman and Albrighton competing for the forward position. For this reason, I won't really be expecting any signings.

Delph, KEA, Herd and N'Zogbia are not playing on a regular basis so we might assume that Lambert has deemed them not good enough?

If we don't improve the squad in the January window and allow Bent to leave then my feeling is that we will be relegated.

Would he be a gettable signing? Are Stuttgart well placed in the league and therefore not see us as a step up? Would he have attracted interest in bigger clubs?

They're sat in 12th, league form is patchy at best but they're all but through to the next round of the Europa League (barring a collapse at Molde and Copenhagen sorting their shit out). Signed a contract extension in January, as well. Couldn't really say in terms of 'getability' to be honest. I'd like to think we've got just enough pull, I suppose it depends what money's available. I don't think he's been linked to any other clubs, either.