Ashley Young

maqroll

53 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Ruthless and disappointing. Maybe we can't afford to keep him and sign another RB/RCB. 

Gutted tbh to see him leave like this

Probably less likely actual financial cost and more number of places in the squad (25?) if Emery has other targets in his position. 

Feels like a Purslow decision. How can someone so increasingly marginalised still make so many bad decisions?😉

A big thank you to Ash for his fantastic contribution over both times at our club. Some great memories.👏

• Haha 2

It’s sad but it frees up a big chunk of wages and I imagine we will be in for a top right back so make sense to end this now since there’s no long term future with AY. The fact we got 2 good years from him was already miraculous. 

• Like 1

A little surprised by this one. I genuinely think he still had a lot to offer as a squad player, and he seemed to be a very good influence on the younger lads. Feels like one season too soon to me, but In Unai We Trust.

Edit: and also, alluding to what @Nigel says... wouldn't this have been announced earlier if it had already been agreed, so he could indeed get a proper send off? Seems like something has broken down in negotiations or he has surprised the club with his plans for next season? Or maybe he just didn't want to be a distraction in the run in. Would love to know the details.

Edited by KentVillan
  • Like 1

As gutted as I am to see Ash go, we need to be looking at better options than a 38 year-old back up. 

He's a brilliant Pro and we probably couldn't guarantee him the games he'd want. 

He's been a brilliant player for this club in both spells, I'll never forget that goal v Everton or when he dismantled SHA, and wish him every success in what he does next.

One of us, cheers Ashley Young 💜🩵

• Like 2

Makes absolute sense. His age is against him, and he would be blocking the chances possibly for a younger player, but more likely for an elite player to whom Cash will be backup.

Don't really want him back for sentimental reasons as a coach either unless he has earned it. We expect the players to be professional and we should expect the same of the club - and that is what this is.

He was great for us both times, in particular was truly amazing first time, and that first time will live long in our memory.

Thanks for every thing and good luck. 👍

• Like 2

Just think this has been judged on a spreadsheet rather than sentiment. You could argue that's how you run a business, but football has many emotional/non-quantifiable elements and that includes things such as experience/dressing room presence/player-fan relationship (all of which he sits at the top).

Considering he has done a more-than-competent job this season, I don't agree with this unless he was demanding excessive wages.

Given that he said on Sunday, “We will all enjoy this together, hopefully I’ll be able to be part of those European Nights like I was in 2010”, this doesn’t look like it was his choice, nor that he actually knew it was coming.

I feel we need a better explanation from club, player, or both, about how this decision was arrived at.

The usual hollow cliches about great service, thanks for all the fish, etc., don’t really seem enough.

It has been a joy watching him skipping about the pitch like a teenager since he returned and it’s perhaps not too much of an exaggeration to say there were times in our darker hours when he looked like he was the only person on the pitch who cared about our performance and knew what needed to be done. 

Whatever the rationale for the decision, I think it has been poorly handled.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, briny_ear said:

Given that he said on Sunday, “We will all enjoy this together, hopefully I’ll be able to be part of those European Nights like I was in 2010”, this doesn’t look like it was his choice, nor that he actually knew it was coming.

I feel we need a better explanation from club, player, or both, about how this decision was arrived at.

The usual hollow cliches about great service, thanks for all the fish, etc., don’t really seem enough.

It has been a joy watching him skipping about the pitch like a teenager since he returned and it’s perhaps not too much of an exaggeration to say there were times in our darker hours when he looked like he was the only person on the pitch who cared about our performance and knew what needed to be done. 

Whatever the rationale for the decision, I think it has been poorly handled.

I agree.

People saying there's no room for sentiment...  come on, what do you think someone like Mings or McGinn feels watching this play out? This is a club that will spit me out at the end without a second's thought? Why should I show them any loyalty?

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, gilbertoAVFC said:

Just think this has been judged on a spreadsheet rather than sentiment. You could argue that's how you run a business, but football has many emotional/non-quantifiable elements and that includes things such as experience/dressing room presence/player-fan relationship (all of which he sits at the top).

Considering he has done a more-than-competent job this season, I don't agree with this unless he was demanding excessive wages.

Considering one of the greatest footballers ever is now lapping up oil money in some far away land in some irrelevent football league, it's probably fair to say Ashley will resurface in either the US, Saudi etc. etc. and fair play to him. What the PL isn't willing to pay someone else will.

This is football, I don't think someone has collously said he is not part of our plans. I suspect he had some conditions, pay, playing time, length of contract and the club did not agree on them. If we just didn't want him they would have said and not let it drag out. We simply havent found a compromise. 

Â