Ashley Young

maqroll

8 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Has any player ever played two games for Villa as far apart as Ashley Young's debut and the game on Saturday?

Charlie Aitken was just under 15 years from debut to final game - so Ashley beats that.

I'm not sure when Spink's debut was, but he might have a shot at it.

Who else is there?

Sid Cowans 1976 to 1993 - 17 years

Frank Moss (Jnr) 1938 to 1955 - 17 years

Harry Hampton 1904 to 1920 - 16 years

Eric Houghton 1930 to 1946 - 16 years

Nigel Spink 1979 to 1995 - 16 years

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thank you all!

Spink made his debut on boxing day 1979 (I think) and then played his last game for us on 23rd December 1995 before being sold on 1st January so he does beat Ashley Young, but only by 147 days - if Young makes a sub appearance toward the end of the season he'll nudge ahead of Nigel (AY currently 5695 days, Spink 5842).

Forgetting Sid is shameful though - sorry!

Sid is well out ahead with 6489 days between debut and final game - Ashley will need to play this season and two more to challenge that!

Mad to think that Sid played in the Premier league lol. I always associate him as ‘before my time’ and always forget he was around when I first started going in ‘93.

Also, they may be wrong but Wiki says Charlie Aitken was with us for 17 years as well. 

Edited by Ingram85

On 06/09/2022 at 11:38, Ingram85 said:

Does anyone find it bizarre talking about him as a Villa player again after so long? It was so long ago when he was at the top of his game for us. It was a different generation of football. He’s been back for a while now but it still feels weird to me. It’s hard to explain. 

I still would like to see him score in the PL. would be nice to have it as a stat that he scored his first goal with Villa 2008, while scored his last on 2022 or 2023. 
At the end of the day I like it when our players becomes ambassadors or related to the club. Look at Elmo for example, even the likes of El Ghazi can still be related to the club (even if the continued their careers elsewhere). 

• Like 3

Interesting interview with Ashley Young, courtesy of Sky. I thought he was outstanding against City and hope he has a great game tommorow if he plays.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11677/12696471/ashley-young-exclusive-aston-villas-grandad-setting-the-standards-on-and-off-the-pitch-for-manager-steven-gerrard

On 07/09/2022 at 15:43, captain said:

I think Charlie Aitken was at the club as a player for 17 years but did not make his first team debut until after 1 year of joining.  So he only has a 16 year playing career at Villa. 

Wasn't Aitken's first game Johnny Dixon's last for Villa? That must be about 30 years of service

• 4 weeks later...
Â