Ashley Young

maqroll

4 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

If the only reason Gerrard wants to keep him on is for his experience then I would offer him a coaching role. I don't think he has the legs for the premier league now. It also doesn't make sense if Gerrard wants to have attacking full backs in his set up.

Then we will need to invest in some full-backs in the summer as well as a CD and DM.  We can't go into next season with only Digne and Cash, first choice though they might be.  Hopefully pre-season KKH can be assessed if he is good enough for a back up role to Cash next season.

17 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Need to make a move for Hickey in the summer.

Hickey would be a great signing, he's both footed so can play either left or right.  Biggest issue is convincing him to come and be a backup to Digne or Cash.

• 3 weeks later...

Funny how nobody came into this thread to comment after the weekend.

I thought he played well, not outstanding but well. 

He’s a solid pro.

Certainly didn’t put in the sort of performance that everyone was crying about the Matt Targett thread…

• Like 3

He's done well tbf. Been relatively solid and I'm sure he knows he shouldn't be in a position where he is playing LB every week.

He's solid. He's a good pro. He's wiley and takes up good positions but he can't run, and is so stiff he kills all attacking momentum. It's either a left foot swing down the channel or take a month to check back inside.

You do wonder how a club can spend 300m and have a 37 year old Young playing left back.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Not that I dont want him to play but I am starting to think is a clause that Ashley has to play. 3-0 up we could have played some younger players for some game time but here comes Young

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Not that I dont want him to play but I am starting to think is a clause that Ashley has to play. 3-0 up we could have played some younger players for some game time but here comes Young

I also found that a little odd.

however, after watching city crumble recently, I think first and foremost - get the points on the board

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

Is he staying on another year?

He's been offered a contract, I assume it's a wage cut and 12 months. He's not decided yet, so assume he's mulling over other offers. His current contract runs to end of June so he's a few weeks to decide.

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Not sure if it makes a lot of sense on him staying on for another year. Unless Gerrard sees potential in him being a player/coach type role.  Overall its over 5 years of his career and 200+ plus matches for Villa so has done well for us.

I think Gerrard has already said he sets the standards in training. Plus he's a useful utility player as he can play any position. So in the times with 5 subs he's a key man to have on the bench. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

I think Gerrard has already said he sets the standards in training. Plus he's a useful utility player as he can play any position. So in the times with 5 subs he's a key man to have on the bench. 

Reminds of Ally McCoist's last few years at Rangers as he was known as the Judge- due the amount of time spent on the bench.

Edited by The Fun Factory

Â