General England thread

kurtsimonw

I remember when Euro 2008 was on, and England were not there, the atmosphere in the country was terrible, England were not at the big party. It was dead.  I don't want a feeling and atmosphere like that again.

Edited by Voinjama

I have little intrest in england atm, mainly because I don't like hodgson. But I want us in rio cus I enjoy the atmos in pubs when there's a tournament on

• Like 1

I think the best international tournament of the past 20 years was Euro 2000 and England were there. The amount of high scoring games, classic matches and all the top players and teams at the time performed. But I understand your point.

Dr Pangloss I presume you don't live in  England? I don't see how it would be hilarious if England failed to qualify for the world cup.

Euro 2008 had more classic games, great teams all at once, wonderful underdogs in Turkey and Russia. Brilliant tournament atmosphere and only maybe 2 crap countries in which 1 was host and the other was defending champions.

Euro 2000 was good but was marred by a lot of idiots and had a few good games

I have little intrest in england atm, mainly because I don't like hodgson. But I want us in rio cus I enjoy the atmos in pubs when there's a tournament on

True, but the feeling after the pre-match hype and another miserable performance and 6 quick pints is nothing to get excited about.

England are a recurring let down at these tournaments. Useless.

I think the best international tournament of the past 20 years was Euro 2000 and England were there. The amount of high scoring games, classic matches and all the top players and teams at the time performed. But I understand your point.

Dr Pangloss I presume you don't live in  England? I don't see how it would be hilarious if England failed to qualify for the world cup.

Euro 2008 had more classic games, great teams all at once, wonderful underdogs in Turkey and Russia. Brilliant tournament atmosphere and only maybe 2 crap countries in which 1 was host and the other was defending champions.

Euro 2000 was good but was marred by a lot of idiots and had a few good games

Well I guess it's all about opinions. I do agree that the hooliganism from the England fans was bad stain on that tournament but on the field that tournament was incredible. You had Zidane at his peak, probably the best tournament of his amazing career. You had Figo at his peak. All the top players at the time performed Kluivert, Shearer, Henry, Raul, Desailly, Costacurta etc etc. I think because Euro 2000 was so long ago, you may have forgotten how many good games there were.

Spain 4 - 3 Yugoslavia and all the late drama of 3 goals in the last 3 minutes

Yugoslavia 3 - 3 Slovenia

England 2- 3 Portugal

England 2 - 3 Romania

Netherlands 6 - 1 Yugoslavia

Netherlands 3 - 2 France

These are just off the top pf my head. All classic for different reasons.The amount of last minute goals too, like in the final. The nailbiting drama of the penalties in the semi finals. For me Euro 2000 was probably the best tournament I have seen. But because of my age I have only seen 1994 onwards.

But as I said at the start of my post, it's all about opinions.

• 4 weeks later...

Ah, the monthly discussion about FIFA rankings.

1. Someone posts the latest FIFA rankings.

2. People pick out teams that clearly don't deserve their position.

3. A few people offer reasons for why some of the said teams maybe do, in fact, merit their position.

4. Many people claim that the rankings are useless/stupid/meaningless.

5. Someone posts to the ELO rankings as a more accurate alternative.

Then, we wait another four weeks or so, and - as Lambo would say - we go again.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

to me it would make sense to get proper youth coaches / academy managers in there rather than another jobs for the boys exercise...

whats southgate got on his CV to get this job? apart from head of elite development, another role he had nothing on his CV to suggest he deserved

Â