General England thread

kurtsimonw

And Southgate has picked his first England's U21 squad. Again, not a Villan in sight.

Goalkeepers: Jonathan Bond (Watford), Jack Butland (Stoke City), George Long (Sheffield United).

Defenders: Eric Dier (Sporting Lisbon), Ezekiel Fryers (Tottenham Hotspur), Todd Kane (Blackburn Rovers, loan from Chelsea), Michael Keane (Manchester United), Jack Robinson (Blackpool, loan from Liverpool), Luke Shaw (Southampton), John Stones (Everton), Tom Thorpe (Manchester United), Andre Wisdom (Liverpool).

Midfielders: Tom Carroll (Tottenham Hotspur), Nathaniel Chalobah (Chelsea), Will Hughes (Derby County), Nick Powell (Manchester United), Jonjo Shelvey (Swansea City), James Ward-Prowse (Southampton).

Wide: Sammy Ameobi (Newcastle United), Jesse Lingaard (Manchester United), Nathan Redmond (Norwich City), Wilfried Zaha (Manchester United).

Forwards: Saido Berahino (West Bromwich Albion), Harry Kane (Tottenham Hotspur), Connor Wickham (Sunderland).

horrible horrible manager, cant wait for him to get the boot and we get the next useless one in, even with the 2 new youngsters in everything about that team is so uninspiring

defoe FFS played and did **** all for half an hour on sunday didn't he? straight back in, carroll will be the same when he's fit

Edited by villa4europe

I think with Defoe it's more a case of "OK well who else then?". He's arguably the best of a depressingly bad bunch and experience gives him the edge.

Jonathan Bond, Jack Butland, Eric Dier, Ezekiel Fryers, Michael Keane, John Stones, Tom Thorpe, Andre Wisdom, Tom Carroll, Nathaniel Chalobah, Nick Powell, Jesse Lingaard, Wilfried Zaha, Saido Berahino, Harry Kane

all haven't kicked a ball yet this season

I think with Defoe it's more a case of "OK well who else then?". He's arguably the best of a depressingly bad bunch and experience gives him the edge.

that's my biggest gripe with England, too happy to accept that he's the best of a bad bunch and stick with someone that doesn't work, defoe has had enough caps and done nothing, time to try the next bloke, even if he does nothing too

we do it all the time

Jonathan Bond, Jack Butland, Eric Dier, Ezekiel Fryers, Michael Keane, John Stones, Tom Thorpe, Andre Wisdom, Tom Carroll, Nathaniel Chalobah, Nick Powell, Jesse Lingaard, Wilfried Zaha, Saido Berahino, Harry Kane

all haven't kicked a ball yet this season

I'd be less critical of that fact in an U21 squad. I think it's high time the England U21 squad was used properly i.e. to bring in the best players of that age and get them used to competitive tournament football (even at the expense of a pointless senior call-up) so that when they do go senior for real, they know the pressures of knock-out football and they don't go to a world cup or a Euro championship, get to the quarter finals and freeze like always.

Quite a bit of pressure on Southgate. Is he is nice, youngish, polite bloke with a good taste in suits? Yes. Does he know what he is doing as a football manager? Not sure. Obvious he is a pet favourite at the FA, and was nailed on for the U21 job. Needs to do a decent job there, or his management career will be going nowhere. Why is Ashley Young in the England squad is a total mystery. The defence looks poor whatever combination you use out of that lot. Barkely is being overpromoted as usual, a good prospect but now comes the hype. Re no Villa players- keeps me happy as less likely for injuries and players to be sold.

Barkley and Sterling certainly do not deserve a place in this squad and surely would be better off getting games for u21s?

And how come Baker isn't in U21? Thought he'd be a dead cert.. Haven't even heard of the spurs def

Edited by mikeyp102

And how come Baker isn't in U21? Thought he'd be a dead cert.

Baker's too old, this generation of U21 are born in 1992 or later.

Using wikipedia to check Villa squad, the only players that qualify would be Gary Gardner and Daniel Johnson

2 absolutely huge games, 4 points and England will have to start preparing for the playoffs.

4 points will be enough I reckon, would keep Ukraine a point behind with two left.

Wouldn't Barkley be better playing regularly in the under 21s first?

2 absolutely huge games, 4 points and England will have to start preparing for the playoffs.

4 points will be enough I reckon, would keep Ukraine a point behind with two left.

Wouldn't Barkley be better playing regularly in the under 21s first?

A draw in Ukraine would benefit Ukraine because their remaining games are against San Marino twice - guaranteed 6 points.

Â