General England thread

kurtsimonw

I wonder if this new vision includes hiring a forward-thinking manager that isn't stuck in the 19th century?

you do realise Hodgson is one of the most forward thinking England managers of all time. I recommend you read on his history

I wonder if this new vision includes hiring a forward-thinking manager that isn't stuck in the 19th century?

you do realise Hodgson is one of the most forward thinking England managers of all time. I recommend you read on his history

He hasn't done much to show it as England manager.

"New Football Association chairman Greg Dyke says the England team should aim to reach the semi-final of Euro 2020 and win the World Cup in 2022." From the BBC website  :crylaugh: 

As much as I'd love that to happen, there's not a chance in Hell that will happen, unless we get a generation of world class players within the next couple of years, which won't happen as Premier League clubs will just buy cheap foreign talent instead.

EDIT: I Like how writing E-P-L got changed to Premier League, I only did it as I couldn't be bothered to type it out properly :D

Rubbish.......

Don't believe the media line.....

This feckin obsession with players needing to be 'World Class' is utter cobblers.

If you're English and play in the top division in England you're good enough.

"New Football Association chairman Greg Dyke says the England team should aim to reach the semi-final of Euro 2020 and win the World Cup in 2022." From the BBC website  :crylaugh: 

As much as I'd love that to happen, there's not a chance in Hell that will happen, unless we get a generation of world class players within the next couple of years, which won't happen as Premier League clubs will just buy cheap foreign talent instead.

EDIT: I Like how writing E-P-L got changed to Premier League, I only did it as I couldn't be bothered to type it out properly :D

Rubbish.......

Don't believe the media line.....

This feckin obsession with players needing to be 'World Class' is utter cobblers.

If you're English and play in the top division in England you're good enough.

Is that not pretty much the definition of World Class? Being the best in the world and performing on a world stage?

To expect England to win the world cup within 10 years is ridiculous unless we get some top, top players soon, as our current crop won't get anywhere near.

To expect England to win the world cup within 10 years is ridiculous unless we get some top, top players soon, as our current crop won't get anywhere near.

There no expectation..... it's an aim, a goal.

Previously it's this expectation of victory which has got us in the mess we've been perpetually in since the early 80's.

If there is a stated goal then there is an opportunity to work towards it. In doing so develop a philosophy where good players get selected to represent their country to play a part in a team...... and move away from the current ethos of selecting a group pseudo superstars and big club reserve players.

It also affords us the opportunity to go to tournaments with the understanding that we won't win and its OK. We'll be competing, developing, learning and hopefully getting better, getting prepared.

I just hope Dyke has got the clout to actually drive something like this into fruition.

Roy Hodgson's England are facing a make-or-break pair of back-to-back qualifiers in the midst of an injury crisis that has exposed the paucity of options in key positions.

that's utter bollocks though, this whole squad ahead of these qualifiers stinks of poor old roy and his limited options IMO, he's happily picked a squad that is criminally under strength

either that or he really is so inept that he's picked 2 injured strikers out of the 4 that he picked in total

this speech just backs it up, they wont fix English football, they don't even know where to start, but you can guarantee that any "fix" they do come up with will

a. not improve England

b. not improve the balance of the premier league

greg dyke is just another old man at the FA full of piss and wind paid a fortune and then blaming bloody foreigners when he fails

Does it even matter? I know you hate Hodgson and yes he is firstly a safety first defensive coach but a proper world class manager like Capello couldn't do anything either.

Indeed Capello went proper mental during the world cup, left out Walcott, got Carragher and nearly Scholes out of retirement and the result was an embarrassing 0-0 against Algeria, scraping a 1-0 win over the might of Slovenia and then getting thumped by the Germans.

Let's not even mention McClaren....

Last properly successful England manager was Sven really, three respectable showings in major tournaments even if the football in world cup 2006 was really awful but people were sick to death of him in the end.

It's an impossible job really. A forward thinking manager not stuck in the 19th century is Harry Redknapp really and that appointment wouldn't go down great on here would it?

as much as I don't like him I think arry would be the best option too

we have had too many managers that try to reinvent the wheel, the reality is a mixture of simply not having the time to work with the squad and having players who there is huge pressure to use and don't really care enough (we are still trying lampard and gerrard in the same team FFS)

arry would give them what they need IMO, arm round the shoulder, everyones mate, get them jeered up and enjoying themselves, full of confidence and then send them out, that might not make us winners either but it sure would make us better than we are now

The man is a buffoon. He has put Gareth Southgate in charge of the U21's and more widely those below aswell.

He has been cack everywhere as a Manager, is a shocking pundit which also speaks volumes and will bring the grand total of sweet fa to the fa party.

We don't have National pride like other nations and that is the reason we are gash when it comes to international football.

Simple. Done.

I'm so fed up of International football. It's not the pinnacle of football any more (if it ever was) as it has been hugely surpassed by the Champions league, it's benefits in terms of cultural exchange are hugely diminished as barriers to flows of information and people have come down. 

Worst of all the players of the top nations are lukewarm about it. They feel obliged to play but don't need the money and you can tell their hearts aren't in it. Plus, and I don't think this is that controversial, what exactly is the point when so many players can choose which country they play for out of 2/3/4 countries. 

It's making too much money to be scrapped in the near future but I wouldn't be bothered at all if it was. We could easily expand the football calendar with more international club tournaments and generally taking them more seriously. That may benefit the top clubs the most but we could for example have a Midlands cup in the offseason if we didn't get more prestigious offers. 

Plus, we could finally be rid of this nonsense of playing countries with a fraction of your population. Moldova has well under 10% of our population and we are playing them in a competitive game. Un-entertaining, unsporting nonsense that's purely a blatant moneygrab. I don't know why we put up with it. 

I'm so fed up of International football. It's not the pinnacle of football any more (if it ever was) as it has been hugely surpassed by the Champions league, it's benefits in terms of cultural exchange are hugely diminished as barriers to flows of information and people have come down. 

Worst of all the players of the top nations are lukewarm about it. They feel obliged to play but don't need the money and you can tell their hearts aren't in it. Plus, and I don't think this is that controversial, what exactly is the point when so many players can choose which country they play for out of 2/3/4 countries. 

It's making too much money to be scrapped in the near future but I wouldn't be bothered at all if it was. We could easily expand the football calendar with more international club tournaments and generally taking them more seriously. That may benefit the top clubs the most but we could for example have a Midlands cup in the offseason if we didn't get more prestigious offers. 

Plus, we could finally be rid of this nonsense of playing countries with a fraction of your population. Moldova has well under 10% of our population and we are playing them in a competitive game. Un-entertaining, unsporting nonsense that's purely a blatant moneygrab. I don't know why we put up with it. 

To be fair Uruguay has just over 5% of the population of England and they'd give us a tough game. Population is pretty meaningless in world football, especially when you consider how good nations like Uruguay (population 3.3 million) and the Netherlands (population 16.7 million) are compared to countries like India and China (both with a population of over 1 billion). We're playing Moldova because it's World Cup qualifying. I get that the result is pretty much a foregone conclusion but it is a World Cup and that means that every country with a football team should have the chance to qualify.

Edited by Mantis

Â