General England thread

kurtsimonw

Think we'll win the rest of our games, so there will be no need to through the play-offs..

you know England hasnt beaten a team in the group that isnt Moldova and San Marino?

I think it will be 

Ukraine

England

Montenegro

Poland. 

Ukraine have 17 points at moment as the 2 San Marino games are bankers. England have to win their last 4 games to win group and i only see a max of 10 points

10th of Sept will be where its at!

Have we ever qualified easily from a group?  

You could line us up in an under 10s tournament and we would still have an all or nothing game come the end of qualifying.

10th of Sept will be where its at!

Have we ever qualified easily from a group?  

You could line us up in an under 10s tournament and we would still have an all or nothing game come the end of qualifying.

2006 England qualified very comfortably. And in 2010 world cup qualification England won 9 games out of 10. The only one they lost is the very last game against Ukraine, when they had already qualified.

Edited by Voinjama

I think it will be 

Ukraine

England

Montenegro

Poland. 

Ukraine have 17 points at moment as the 2 San Marino games are bankers. England have to win their last 4 games to win group and i only see a max of 10 points

This is also how I see it. I have looked at the remaining 4 games for both and I think Ukraine will get 6 points v San Marino, win at home to Poland and draw at home to England - 10 points. Whereas  I think England will get 8 points from their 4 games.

I disagree CI, England not at a world cup would be disastrous for footballing and economic reasons. Furthermore using the argument that England are just making up the numbers could just as easily apply to 26 out of the 32 teams at the tournament.  Lets be honest here, only about 6 countries have a chance of winning it or making a big impact. Should Mexico not be in it because they are just making up the numbers? They haven't reached the quarters since 86 when they were hosts. What about most of the African and Asian teams. Australia etc.

Edited by Voinjama

I disagree CI, England not at a world cup would be disastrous for footballing and economic reasons. Furthermore using the argument that England are just making up the numbers could just as easily apply to 26 out of the 32 teams at the tournament.  Lets be honest here, only about 6 countries have a chance of winning it or making a big impact. Should Mexico not be in it because they are just making up the numbers? They haven't reached the quarters since 86 when they were hosts. What about most of the African and Asian teams. Australia etc.

If they can't qualify from a group of pretty mediocre to poor teams then they shouldn't be in it, it's as simple as that and it would be no disaster for anyone other than the overrated excuses for 'international footballers' that are currently wearing the shirt. 

Ukraine are not mediocre, they are decent, not amazing but decent. If I had to list the top 13 teams in Europe currently (Europe has 13 allocations for the world cup) I would definitely put Ukraine in there. But I agree the rest of the teams are mediocre to poor. I personally think Montenegro will now crash and burn but they have done well stay the course for this long.

would be economically bad but no way would they be missed for on the pitch football reasons. The best international tournament in last 15-20 years was Euro 2008 and England werent there

I think the best international tournament of the past 20 years was Euro 2000 and England were there. The amount of high scoring games, classic matches and all the top players and teams at the time performed. But I understand your point.

Dr Pangloss I presume you don't live in  England? I don't see how it would be hilarious if England failed to qualify for the world cup.

I think the best international tournament of the past 20 years was Euro 2000 and England were there. The amount of high scoring games, classic matches and all the top players and teams at the time performed. But I understand your point.

Dr Pangloss I presume you don't live in  England? I don't see how it would be hilarious if England failed to qualify for the world cup.

I do live in England but I've haven't cared for the national side since about the age of 14.

Â