General England thread

kurtsimonw

England vs Scotland was a major rivalry, especially when we had the home internationals at the end of the season. Those were the days when Scotland had great players like Baxter, Law, Dalglish, Johnstone etc. England v Germany is the big rivalry now because of the history in major competitions between the two teams. Mind you I would say for Germany. Holland is the big rivalry.

Argentina probably, but even then it's a generational thing. Rivalries usually are. I'm sure a good many on VT consider more clubs in the midlands rivals than I do. Apart from sha, I really couldn't give a toss.

On England - they look like a MON team. Out of date, no ideas.

In 10-15 years time there could be plenty of good young players considering the amount of money spent & attention given to youth development over the past few years, but I see a long time in the wilderness for Engerland while they catch up (assuming the rest don't get better).

I'm trying to think of a serious rivalry England have and I can't.  Scotland and Wales are too one sided, Germany and Ireland are based on political reasons nobody has cared about in a generation which really only leaves Argentina and we hardly ever play them.   The football term have nothing on the rivalry the Cricket, Rugby and Olympic team has with Australia.  

not fierce but on a footballing rivalry Poland is probably your closest for reason you always draw them in qualifiers  maybe for a period was also Portugal as met them in few tournaments from 2000-06.

ive also always saw England vs France as a bit of venom behind it but cant put a finger on why

I bet you don't rate Westwood then.

Ashley Westwood has got nothing to do with Michael Carrick being absolutely awful in an England shirt.

Why are people still raving about these players that have simply not proven it at the top level, ever. 

We have had top manager after top manager. Hodgson has managed all over europe, Cappello has won everything, Sven - another top manager across europe. The players simply are not good enough!!

England vs Scotland was a major rivalry, especially when we had the home internationals at the end of the season. Those were the days when Scotland had great players like Baxter, Law, Dalglish, Johnstone etc. England v Germany is the big rivalry now because of the history in major competitions between the two teams. Mind you I would say for Germany. Holland is the big rivalry.

I don't think England - Germany is a big deal for the English any more and probably hasn't been since Euro 96 when we looked back on the summer and realised we actually quite liked the Germans.  

It was a generational thing, the people who lived through the war and their children, just look at how much TV was about the Germans in the 70s and 80s and compare that to the last twenty years and it's like night and day. 

I'm sure I have had this debate on VT before too, but Germany - Holland existed for similar reasons, only the Dutch had a bit more reason to be pissed off because Germany occupied them for five years during the war, displacing millions and killing tens of thousands via an enforced famine.   That may have faded for all I know, but even then their rivalry started out as a political one. 

I'm trying to think of a serious rivalry England have and I can't.  Scotland and Wales are too one sided, Germany and Ireland are based on political reasons nobody has cared about in a generation which really only leaves Argentina and we hardly ever play them. The football term have nothing on the rivalry the Cricket, Rugby and Olympic team has with Australia.  

Don't worry, Australia is catching up in football.

Really, really, really slowly.

I'm trying to think of a serious rivalry England have and I can't.  Scotland and Wales are too one sided, Germany and Ireland are based on political reasons nobody has cared about in a generation which really only leaves Argentina and we hardly ever play them. The football term have nothing on the rivalry the Cricket, Rugby and Olympic team has with Australia.  

Don't worry, Australia is catching up in football.

Really, really, really slowly.

On recent showing England are going backwards to meet us!

We should be on a par in 5-10 years :)

• Like 1

I rate Carrick highly, but he was shit last night , sloppy passing and caught in possession too many times.

At the end of a long season though the english players looked like they didn't want to be there.

So Carroll is crocked, Welbeck is carrying an injury and so is Defoe.

Yet Roy Hodgson still didn't call up Gabby or Lambert.

And now Sturridge is crocked congrats.gif

Edited by TRS-T

England under Hodgson look like us under McLeish.

Yes very old style. When are the FA going to pick the right man?

people keep saying this

England dont call up the right players

England dont have right manager

Who are these players and manager England need. Its not exactly a lot of obviosu candidates out there

England under Hodgson look like us under McLeish.

Yes very old style. When are the FA going to pick the right man?

people keep saying this

England dont call up the right players

England dont have right manager

Who are these players and manager England need. Its not exactly a lot of obviosu candidates out there

I know but Hodgson was the safe choice. We may not have won anything under Harry but it would have been less interesting. To be fair this is the worst crop of players I can remember. The fact he is still picking players in their mid 30s shows how bad it is.

• 2 weeks later...

anyone else getting annoyed as **** about all these people coming out the woodwork moaning about the lack of youngsters in england

today its brooking, says we dont have the depth to take part in the U19 / 20 / 21 tournaments this summer

had a look at the 3 squads, not a single one from our academy / next gen winning team, 1 player from norwich's FA youth cup winning team, no players from the youth league winning fulham team or the runners up reading

I wanna know what Trevor Booking and the FA have been doing for the last 10 years?

Spending £50m on foreign managers trying to buy success at international level?

But I do agree with you there.

Brooking always talks about how he wants 60% English players in the Prem.

It wouldn't make a difference because Hodgson always picks the same players.

If all the bottom half teams fielded 11 Englishmen every week that would push the % up to 60% but none of them would get used by England.

You only get picked if you play for a Top 7 club.

Edited by TRS-T
  • Like 1

I think England demise in this tournament shows what conditions Hodgson has to work with. They ask him to call up young players but they are not good enough and stuck with Gerrard, Lampard etc by default

It would be absolutely disastrous if England failed to qualify for the world cup next summer. But I have a feeling the unthinkable might happen. If the playoffs are seeded England might be fine though. 

Â