General England thread

kurtsimonw

For any talk not about a particular game (which can go in a match thread) any FA news about the national team, things like that.

The biggest frustration of the past week has to be Michael Carrick. Stop picking him! We are injury hit at CM (and I'm hoping that's what's stopping us from going 4-3-3 since it worked so well in Euro qualifying), but there's better options. He looked shit against San marino and when he came off for Shelvey at 2-0, within 10 minutes we were 5-0 up because Shelvey didn't hold on to the ball for half an hour before passing it straight to a defender.

We do have a lot of ageing players, but Carrick isn't exactly young or even good enough. Infuriating. Can United please just sell him? He'd have no chance at getting in the team then.

Who would you like to see in midfield? And what do you want to see? 4-3-3, 4-4-2 or 4-2-3-1?

really poor selection and tactics, looks like roy has his favourites already

i think we should play 3 in the middle, wilshere, milner and lampard (playing deep, chelsea CL style), young on the left, someone on the right (probably ox) and then rooney up top

the problem with that is rooney goes in to roy of the rovers mode and plays anywhere but up front ruining our shape and meaning that we'd have to drop a winger and play what pretty much always becomes an isolated striker, none of whom are good enough to play the role

to think 12 years ago we had shearer, fowler, owen, phillips, sheringham even heskey getting 20 goals in a season and now we have this shit bunch up front

I not sure we should be persevering with players on the decline like Gerrard and Lampard. They'll have zimmer frames by 2014 although maybe we need their experience to ensure we actually make it to Brazil. St George's Park gives me hope for the future and I'd rather prioritise youth now whatever the risk.

I've lowered my expectations a lot since 2010. England simply aren't very good anymore (have they ever been?) despite what the tabloids and Sky tell us.

Exactly. I see us as a country that should be aiming to win things, obviously, but not labelling everything but as a failure. We're a quarter final team. Getting knocked out to teams like Germany and Italy are hardly unexpected.

My annoyance is more with fans than media though. We'll get called 'average' in qualyfing and that we're not very good. Then when we go out on penalties in a QF they'll call it a failure. Well which is it, a failure or are we average? Can't be both, average teams should be happy with QF appearances.

I don't recall seeing England play decent football since the Venables and Hoddle teams. Couple of OK games under Sven, but basically we've been dire for ages. You don't expect us to win everything, but it'd be nice if English players a) learnt to control the ball, b.) looked like they cared and c) learnt how to pass. To a team-mate.

I think Wilshere will be alright, and when he's back to his best he'll be a huge asset for England. We have been shit for a while, but Wilshere has real creativity, vision and a maturity in the way he passes the ball. He's passionate, too, which if channelled correctly will be important - particularly when half of the current side look like they can't really be arsed.

The new breed of England players don't look as good as the last lot and they ultimately never quite delivered, so I can't see us going anywhere in the World Cup when the rest of the big nations are advancing the game. Wilshere is worth building the team around rather than Rooney, depending on how he returns from his major injury. Only Shelvey really excites me amongst the youngsters. It doesn't help when players like Rodwell and Sinclair decide the best career move they could make is to sit on City's bench.

The new breed of England players don't look as good as the last lot and they ultimately never quite delivered, so I can't see us going anywhere in the World Cup when the rest of the big nations are advancing the game. Wilshere is worth building the team around rather than Rooney, depending on how he returns from his major injury. Only Shelvey really excites me amongst the youngsters. It doesn't help when players like Rodwell and Sinclair decide the best career move they could make is to sit on City's bench.

Agreed on Shelvey and Rodwell.

Wilshire, Shelvey and Rodwell could be a nice midfield 3 in the future. Hopefully injuries to Wilshire and Rodwell sitting on the bench 2 out of every 3 games doesn't hurt us in the long run.

Football isn't as easy as it used to be I don't think. Ukraine/Poland are no pushovers at home and Montenegro as we've seen previously are a decent country. I find it amazing how we've ended up with such a group as a #1 seed.

Montenegro were lowly ranked in the seedings because it's only recently they've become good. Same can be said for Poland to a lesser extent. We're the other direction, we're ranked highly but are now shit.

It's quite sad really that I'm banking on England being turned around by Wilshere; an unexperienced 20 year old who's been out injured for 15 months.

Cleverley and Carrick has to be the worst central midfield partnership I've ever seen for a competitive England game. And our backup to them? Jonjo F***ing Shelvey.. It's actually laughable that our best 3 central midfielders are still Scholes, Lampard and Gerrard.

Â