Villa Park to be used as a rugby stadium

mikeyp102

It's SA vs Samoa and Australia vs (qualifier), so not bad at all.

Yep. On Sat 26th and Sun 27th Sept respectively.

Brilliant. Off work, in the sun(?) watching international rugby at the home of football  :hooray:

Apparently not.

Good enough for Manchester United but not good enough for Aston Villa...

Once-in-a-lifetime event (the Olympics) comes to our country and Birmingham, the UK's Second City, was not involved because we turned it down http://www.villatalk.com/public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/mellow.png

Unbelievable really.

I couldn't give a toss that the Olympics didn't come to Birmingham. Villa should be the priority and if the club thinks it's better off without, I can live with that.

The Jamaican team stayed in Brum iirc, when Usain won his 100m gold he even name checked Brum saying how good it was and the people were legends.

We probably made more money by not entering ourselves.

Its a fantastic honour for Villa Park to be hosting World Cup Rugby. It is a fantastic honour for the city of Birmingham to have it as well. I mean the city hasnt been great geeting events has it? Olympics, No. World cup 2018, no. European and Uk city of Culture, no.  Lets sell the club and the area and build on it. The club will have 2 years to prepare for a few matches of rugby on the pitch, I am sure it will be fine.  Embrace it, I mean it will be years if ever if England host the football world cup and the euros might not have a host nation again. Rugby isnt really 'my' sport but the whole point of a world cup is to showcase it to other people, and everyone to have a good time!

• Like 4

I always thought rugby pitches were bigger than football pitches?

Rugby pitch = 100m (plus no more than 22m behind posts) x no more than 70m. I don't know if there is a tolerance on the length.

Villa Park pitch = 104m x 69m.

They won't need to change the side lines and they can use the grass area behind the goal lines for the try areas (okay not massive but they must have thought about it already!).

think the good news about teams like Australia and South Africa playing is im sure they will prefer running games instead of scrums so might protect the surface

Apparently not.

Good enough for Manchester United but not good enough for Aston Villa...

Once-in-a-lifetime event (the Olympics) comes to our country and Birmingham, the UK's Second City, was not involved because we turned it down http://www.villatalk.com/public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/mellow.png

Unbelievable really.

I couldn't give a toss that the Olympics didn't come to Birmingham. Villa should be the priority and if the club thinks it's better off without, I can live with that.

The Jamaican team stayed in Brum iirc, when Usain won his 100m gold he even name checked Brum saying how good it was and the people were legends.

We probably made more money by not entering ourselves.

I'm pretty sure another reason we turned it down is that the company who would use Villa Park were entitled to all the money made, they would bring their own food , merchandise and all that. So essentialy we would have made **** all out of it, and the place would have been thrashed.

yeah im not sure how the rugby world cup works but the olympics sold their soul to pretty much every sponsor going so the chances of us making any money out of it was gone

id be surprised if there wasnt an official beer sponsor that we'd have to use but things such as the food could be sold and you'd guess villa make a great margin on the food

going to try and talk some lads in to watching it in the sky lounge if the prices are good

• 2 weeks later...

From the beeb, said I'd put it here as opposed to opening a new tab.

1720: 
FOOTBALL

What if the near-impossible actually happened and Arsenal and Chelsea had carbon-copy finishes to their seasons?

If Chelsea draw 0-0 on the final day of the season and Arsenal win 2-1, they will be level on points, goal difference and goals scored.

The Premier League has confirmed that a potential play-off for third place between Arsenal and Chelsea, would take place at Villa Park on 26 May. The play-off winner would automatically reach the Champions League group stage.

Would you fancy an extra day of Premier League action? Let us know via#bbcsportsday.

• 1 year later...

How's the fixtures work for this given it's happening while the premier league is one? Obviously we'll be away on the weekends but will we have a run of away games while the pitch recovers, does the stadium have to be handed over for a few weeks like when Uefa have finals?

Â