Villa Park to be used as a rugby stadium

mikeyp102

Start date for 2015 rugby world cup is 18th September - here.

Hmm, that changes things slightly.

Potentially wetter weather means more damage, and moving into xmas during the season means less time for the pitch to recover and considerably less than ideal conditions.

This makes me much less keen.

Hmmmm, on the fence on this one... I only really get interested in the rah-rah during world cup time - even the 6 nations is a bit 'meh' for me as I am not particularly keen on the game anyway. My nazi school PE teachers (all middle-aged balding Welsh 'hard men') forced us to play rugby at school when we wanted to be playing hockey (with the girls - yay!!!) or football. So, I nearly lost my nuts in a scrum that **** well hurt.

If it is good for the club, then go for it. If the pitch ends up shit, it will only be for a few weeks. I don't want any sweaty Argie arse polluting my seat though. YEAH! We've got your Falklands...

• 6 months later...

VP confirmed for RWC 2015

Of the original long list of 17, stadiums in Coventry, Bristol, Derby, Southampton and Sunderland have missed out. Villa Park in Birmingham, the Etihad in Manchester, St James' Park in Newcastle, Leicester's King Power Stadium, Stadium MK in Milton Keynes, Elland Road in Leeds, the Brighton Community Stadium and Wembley will host group stage games.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/global/2013/may/02/rugby-world-cup-england-twickenham

Won't these rugger buggers destroy the smooth, silky surface of VP? Madness if you ask me but no doubt the club is getting some nice cash for it.

As I said before, brings people to Birmingham to spend money, gets us money, people spend money in our stadium, people get to see a UEFA 5* stadium. Win.

Considering we have one of the best groundsmen in Europe, I don't doubt his ability to restore the surface quickly.

It's in the summer.

Less than ideal, but they won't destroy the surface.

The RWC kicks off on the 18th of September 2015 Stevo!

Didn't know this. Curious. I seemed to get the impression that our groundsman (whose name I should really know) liked the challenge of getting the pitch ready after the Take That concerts, so he might look forward to it, in a professional manner. Presuming he's still with us then, ofc.

It's in the summer.

oh!

It's in the summer.

oh!

I am getting a bit of deja vu on this page...

It's in the summer.

oh!

I am getting a bit of deja vu on this page...

Haha, well that makes me look silly  :(

IMO a pitch of our quality wont have any lasting problems from just a couple of rugby matches, plus we should remember the origins of the club and that the first half of football Aston Villa ever played was rugby code. If Old Trafford is going to host so should Villa Park.

Edit: I forgot to mention: Potential funds for the club for upgrades, increased business for the surrounding area and perhaps people who wouldn't usually go to Villa Park getting a feel for the place and wanting to come back.

Urban myth apparently

As long as the Egg Chasing Federation shell out for a new pitch after their grunters have turned it into a ploughed field and Villa make a load of cash then go for it!

So apart from the obvious countries that are big draws, who else are in it? Could it be like Namibia v Canada or some such? Be nice if one of the home nations played a match there, Ireland, given the club's connections. Or Scotland for the same reason. Togo likewise.

Oh okay, well Stefan has in part answered my question there, ta:)

Edited by hogso

Â