Villa Park to be used as a rugby stadium

mikeyp102

Why don't we also remove part of the seating available and make our ground into a speedway track as well.

Fortuna Düsseldorf have a go-kart track attached to their stadium, we could do that. Make it a really swervy track and call it the Barry Bannan Experience.

It's a shame RL sold off the Browns, if we do host some rugby we couldve painted a few extra lines on the picth and had them over for a spot of Gridiron, too.

^^^Yeah, because that's the same...

I said that with tongue in cheek. You know, a joke. :D

Fortuna Düsseldorf have a go-kart track attached to their stadium, we could do that. Make it a really swervy track and call it the Barry Bannan Experience.

:D

Wasn't that because they didn't know whether work would be being done on the stadium?

Apparently not.

Question Nine: Do you regret turning down the chance of Olympic Football now that no development is taking place at Villa Park this summer?

No. We held preliminary discussions with LOCOG about the possibility of hosting some games, (none of which were to feature Team GB), in the Olympic football tournament in 2008 and early 2009, but took the decision that the requirements of LOCOG around exclusive access to Villa Park and the potential disruption that would cause to our preparations for the start of the 2012-13 season, as well as our non-matchday business (such as conferences and weddings) during the summer, meant that hosting such games was not in the best interests of Aston Villa.This decision was never made in light of firm plans for development work to be taking place at the stadium this summer. We hope and expect that the Olympics will be a fantastic success for the country, and will be cheering on all of the British athletes involved in the games.

Paul Faulkner, Chief Executive

Good enough for Manchester United but not good enough for Aston Villa...

Once-in-a-lifetime event (the Olympics) comes to our country and Birmingham, the UK's Second City, was not involved because we turned it down :mellow:

Unbelievable really.

• Like 1

It cant really do anymore damage than what the Take That concert would have done IMO.

I couldn't care less whats going on at VP when we aren't playing, if it makes us money that we can use to improve the club, go for it. If they reject it, no biggie its upto Lerner and co.

We missed out on The Olympics and I would like to think we have learned our lesson by now. I fully support bringing the Rugby World Cup to Villa Park. I for one would prefer 30 rugby players playing on our pitch than Take That and their fans on it and no prizes for guessing which event I would pay good money to watch.

If we host any games it will be pretty packed and we will make plenty of money. It can be repaired pretty easily after all we had god knows how many people on it for take that concert and thousands of tonnes of metal and vehicles.

Not an issue tbh as it would be in the summer.

We would certainly earn a good £1m per match all in I reckon.

Considering cricket venues make that for test matches each day an that's only 20-30k stadiums

The same could be said of the 2012 Olympics but we turned that down :mellow:

The club wouldn't have made much cash out of the Olympics anyway. They wouldn't even allow us to open the club shop on match day for feck sake.

It just wasn't worth the hassle. No one cares about Olympic football anyway.

I'm not in touch with English rugby but is there much of a rugby presence in Birmingham? If games between minnow countries were to be held at Villa Park, do people here reckon there would be decent attendances?

Apparently not.

Good enough for Manchester United but not good enough for Aston Villa...

Once-in-a-lifetime event (the Olympics) comes to our country and Birmingham, the UK's Second City, was not involved because we turned it down :mellow:

Unbelievable really.

I couldn't give a toss that the Olympics didn't come to Birmingham. Villa should be the priority and if the club thinks it's better off without, I can live with that.

I'm not in touch with English rugby but is there much of a rugby presence in Birmingham? If games between minnow countries were to be held at Villa Park, do people here reckon there would be decent attendances?

Playing wise rugby is pretty big loads of small local clubs. Professionally there isn't a club in the premiership, either Leicester or Worcester are th closet teams

Â