Next Gen Series 2012/2013

mikeyp102

Crikey, I just thought to myself "I haven't gone to the Next Gen thread yet to congratulate the nippers on their excellent win".

So I came here. I have read the last three pages or so in some confusion and now I am going to slip away again very quietly. Quite what is going on here I don't know but I think it would be a good idea to have a thread where we could congratulate the nippers on their excellent win.

Very much this.

Came in to drop a quick well done, a few promising youngsters in the team.

And I find people pissing all over everyone's chips.

Well done VT.

Also I am sure the confidence of all the lads is soaring, and I don't know if this happens but if one of them was to check this thread. What does it say when rather then reading posts about their great performance, they see posts about how they might not end up being good enough, because Villa youngsters never are.. (apparently...)

Edited by VillaAlex

its absolute ridiculous if you ask me. as mentioned some people just moaning for sake of it when countless other threads to moan in

Actually I count one person.

There's even a positive in that. We've had some success and we can only find one person who has something negative to say about it.

Amazing times.

Crikey, I just thought to myself "I haven't gone to the Next Gen thread yet to congratulate the nippers on their excellent win".

So I came here. I have read the last three pages or so in some confusion and now I am going to slip away again very quietly. Quite what is going on here I don't know but I think it would be a good idea to have a thread where we could congratulate the nippers on their excellent win.

Very much this.

Came in to drop a quick well done, a few promising youngsters in the team.

And I find people pissing all over everyone's chips.

Well done VT.

This. Where were you guys last night when I was dealing with it by myself!? Ha.

Fantastic win and it hopefully puts to bed any notion UEFA had of tying NextGen qualification to the CL qualification of the senior side. The spending power of the big boys should have absolutely zero influence on a youth competition. Even one Europe-wide. So well done Villa on the win and well done Villa on potentially doing youth football in Europe a ma-hoo-sive favour :thumb:

• Like 2

Best to head on over to Twitter for that mate. You'd hope none of the lads are reading some of the stuff being written here.  ;)

Fantastic win and it hopefully puts to bed any notion UEFA had of tying NextGen qualification to the CL qualification of the senior side. The spending power of the big boys should have absolutely zero influence on a youth competition. Even one Europe-wide. So well done Villa on the win and well done Villa on potentially doing youth football in Europe a ma-hoo-sive favour :thumb:

Unfortunately there's a chance our victory could reinforce their need to tie the NextGen to CL teams; after all, how dare Villa win it instead of manu, chel$ki or barca?

Edited by brommy

No brommy, they wouldn't have a leg to stand on now. If Inter had won it again they could have implemented it seamlessly in a "hey it's the CL sides anyway" type of way. Now they would have to argue against dropping sides that performed better. Even the likes of Sporting Lisbon progressed far. It's a much harder case to make now that we've won it. It helps that NextGen are currently separate from UEFA and are being allowed to run it on their own.

If there was tens of millions in prize money then maybe that would change things but there isn't, so there isn't a great push for change and the competition is all the better and purer for it.

which was a big improvement on the previous batch.

I find it hard to argue they're better than Cahill, Gabby, Ridgewell and Gardner.

Haven't highly rated players like Abdo and Carruthers left good academies or turned down good teams to sign for us? This was happening before this win.

Wiemann > Gabby

Nobody > Cahill

Baker > Ridgewell

Gary (Potentially) > Craig Gardner

And the last bit you mention is very true - do you think that might be something to do with why our kids are European champions? And do you still fail to see any kind of benefit of good young players leaving other academies to join ours?

which was a big improvement on the previous batch.

I find it hard to argue they're better than Cahill, Gabby, Ridgewell and Gardner.

Haven't highly rated players like Abdo and Carruthers left good academies or turned down good teams to sign for us? This was happening before this win.

Wiemann > Gabby

Nobody > Cahill

Baker > Ridgewell

Gary (Potentially) > Craig Gardner

And the last bit you mention is very true - do you think that might be something to do with why our kids are European champions? And do you still fail to see any kind of benefit of good young players leaving other academies to join ours?

Clark > Cahill

Clark < Cahill at scissor-kick volleyed goals.

Clark > Cahill

I'm going to disagree there. I like both and I think Clark will be a fine defender when he eliminates his 'one clanger per game' rule, but I don't think he'll get to Cahill's level.

I don't necessarily think Con is saying he will be better than Cahill. He's just saying at this stage of their Villa career, Clark is better than Cahill was.

I think that's his point.

I'm not sure I agree with it, but it's not far off.

Clark > Cahill

I'm going to disagree there. I like both and I think Clark will be a fine defender when he eliminates his 'one clanger per game' rule, but I don't think he'll get to Cahill's level.

He's an international at an earlier age than Cahill, and has captained the side. Cahill has been vice-captain of Bolton.

Clark's lacked experience next to him or even in the squad when Vlaar has been out. Cahill came into the Villa squad/team with Martin Laursen and Olof Mellberg, an advantage over the present situation.

It's very difficult to judge the two fairly at present but I think Clark's defensive game is better than Cahill's at the same age, while he also can score goals.

I'd ignore the international thing simply because it's much easier to represent Ireland than England. You might be right in hindsight w.r.t. their current career development but the fact also remains that Cahill has since made the leap to top 4 and I don't see anyone like that ever wanting our Ciaran. I'd be amazed and obviously I'd love to be wrong.

I'd ignore the international thing simply because it's much easier to represent Ireland than England. You might be right in hindsight w.r.t. their current career development but the fact also remains that Cahill has since made the leap to top 4 and I don't see anyone like that ever wanting our Ciaran. I'd be amazed and obviously I'd love to be wrong.

It's easier to represent Ireland than England but it is still experience from a young age, which contributes to development as a player.

Cahill wasn't wanted by the top 4 until he had improved at Bolton, and was 26 years old.

Right now we won't have trouble keeping Clark but he is absolutely a top 4 player in a few years - maybe even next year.

Its not just madness its unnecessary pressure at their age. People shouldnt be putting that sort of valuation near them

If they're old enough to be in the first team they're old enough for the general speculation that surrounds football players.

Obviously Carruthers and Grealish aren't worth £5m right now but projecting development and success... and I've probably totally undervalued some of the other players we know much less about.

This side is likely to be worth multiple times more than the £10m the 2002 side raised.

Your a Conman mate. 

Carruthers and Grealish wouldnt even go for a 1m right now! Their worth Very very little as it stands.

Where would you get these figures from woodytom ? Both Professional contracts with a decent future ahead of them. They've just won the nextgen cup and both feature above their age for international country's. Eh I'm not sitting here making up stories but if you believe that villa would let their (so-called best in europe) youngsters go for penny's, that's even more ludicrous as any other statement made so far im afraid.

If jack was running out of contract to sign him it would still cost a club a lot of money. As it would be taken further and Villa would have a lot of proof that he'll be 'The next biggest thing in the premier league' e.g first team squad at 16,Been there since he was 6 and constantly played 2 years above his age. (Of course i would never say that he will be,but nevertheless Villa will claim that he will be to get compensation)

Hell, thinking about it... Ruben Loftus-Cheek has just signed a contract with chelsea that will cost up to 1.7m JUST in wages ? Remind me how he played the other night and how his team got in that next gen cup everyones rambling on about ?

I havent got any figures!

I havent said Villa would sell!

Not many people are rambling on about the next gen cup which whoever Ruben Loftus-Cheek is?? - his team lost in the final.

Im lost as to what your point is??

Â