Next Gen Series 2012/2013

mikeyp102

Well that's nice to know.

I put forward my opinion. It's quite easy not to respond if you don't want to. These Internet forums are easy like that.

I want to respond though. I'm telling you you're being negative, I think you enjoy being negative. I'm advising you to stop being negative. Take it or leave it.

Is it negative to suggest that most youth team players won't go on to be top premiership players? I think facts would suggest that this is quite a realistic view to have.

My only other view is that this victory doesn't really mean much. I don't think youth football really does. Like I said are you checking for U11 results? Do you follow the women's team (if we have one) do you celebrate every youth team victory like a first team victory? Again not sure that's negative to suggest that youth team football doesn't really mean much.

You and a few others have decided its negative. I don't agree.

It is negative in the immediate minutes after a brilliant victory for the lads. Imagine if you'd gone up to the lads straight after they won and said what you did. They'd be gutted. All we really need to think about STRAIGHT after the game is the success. Why then start debating their futures!?

As many have said before, the lads have ASTON VILLA attached to them and I'm sure they're pleased as punch because they've done the club proud. However, you are a ridiculously negative person, so I don't expect you to see our point of view.

Edited by StefanAVFC

It is negative in the immediate minutes after a brilliant victory for the lads. Imagine if you'd gone up to the lads straight after they won and said what you did. They'd be gutted. All we really need to think about STRAIGHT after the game is the success. Why then start debating their futures!?

As many have said before, the lads have ASTON VILLA attached to them and I'm sure they're pleased as punch because they've done the club proud. However, you are a ridiculously negative person, so I don't expect you to see our point of view.

I'd be very surprised if they'd be gutted. I think most of them would laugh if a complete stranger started telling them they weren't going to make it.

Why bring it up now? Well it was being discussed now. The bright future of the club based on this was being discussed so I added my opinion.

Would it not be a bit strange if at a random point in the season i just started talking about our youth team for no reason? The youth team are getting discussed in detail because of this win, that's why I added my opinion now.

You're being ridiculously pedantic and completely avoiding my actual point, rather focusing on something completely unrelated to what I was saying.

I meant, why bring it up straight after they've won it. You're completely devaluing the achievements of Tony McAndrew and the lads, which is a pretty low act for a supposed Villa fan.

Is it negative to suggest that most youth team players won't go on to be top premiership players? I think facts would suggest that this is quite a realistic view to have.

My only other view is that this victory doesn't really mean much. I don't think youth football really does. Like I said are you checking for U11 results? Do you follow the women's team (if we have one) do you celebrate every youth team victory like a first team victory? Again not sure that's negative to suggest that youth team football doesn't really mean much.

So it's not worth celebrating the fact the academy beat all that was put before it? I don't see what much else it could have done. It won a tough competition, and that bodes well for the future. The team looks as though it will at least generate enough cash to pay for the next lot, and one or two might become good players for us. But you don't care about that, fair enough, be negative. I take the view that although there are no guarantees it's an indication the academy is doing well. You're being too negative IMO.

which was a big improvement on the previous batch.

I find it hard to argue they're better than Cahill, Gabby, Ridgewell and Gardner.

Haven't highly rated players like Abdo and Carruthers left good academies or turned down good teams to sign for us? This was happening before this win.

Wiemann > Gabby

Nobody > Cahill

Baker > Ridgewell

Gary (Potentially) > Craig Gardner

And the last bit you mention is very true - do you think that might be something to do with why our kids are European champions? And do you still fail to see any kind of benefit of good young players leaving other academies to join ours?

All of those are potential.

This is weimman's first year. You can't say he's had a better career than gabby. Same with baker, ridgewell is a regular pre player, baker has the potential but at the moment there's no way you can say they're better than the last batch.

what's wrong with having lots of potential coming through?

ridgewell might be a regular premiership player but that doesn't make him particularly good. he wasn't that good when he was here, and he's still not that good now that he's not. i'd take baker over ridgewell any day. you know what your limit is with ridgewell, you have buckets of potential with baker. 

obviously wiemann hasn't had a better career than gabby. that would be an impossibility given the age difference, however he's a much better player than gabby is already

it seems like you have no interest in potential. does it not excite you to think we have the  best young team in europe?

If you can't celebrate the good things without dwelling on the negatives its sometimes understandable. In this instance, I think the label miserable git is fitting.

God. Would you be like this if the women's team win the league? Did you used to go out and dance in the streets when the reserve team won their league? Are you glued to the Internet in full kit trying to find out how the U11's got on?

Its kids winning a youth level competition. It's pleasing, it's a good achievement but that's about it.

You might want to go and reserve your space for the parade.

None of the women's team might go on to play for us in the first team. Several of these kids might. That's why people are excited. Christ, if we had Messi at the club 10 years ago you'd be on here complaining he was too small and potential meant nothing. Can you not just  sit back and enjoy the fact that, right now, we have a youth setup  that most football teams in the world would kill for?

You're being ridiculously pedantic and completely avoiding my actual point, rather focusing on something completely unrelated to what I was saying.

I meant, why bring it up straight after they've won it. You're completely devaluing the achievements of Tony McAndrew and the lads, which is a pretty low act for a supposed Villa fan.

Surely you could say the same thing after a villa win.

If we beat stoke and for example delph has an awful game would you complain about anybody who commented on his awful performance straight after the win?

It was being discussed and i joined in.

So it's not worth celebrating the fact the academy beat all that was put before it? I don't see what much else it could have done. It won a tough competition, and that bodes well for the future. The team looks as though it will at least generate enough cash to pay for the next lot, and one or two might become good players for us. But you don't care about that, fair enough, be negative. I take the view that although there are no guarantees it's an indication the academy is doing well. You're being too negative IMO.

I've clearly said on numerous occassions that i'm happy they won and that its a great achievement for them

which was a big improvement on the previous batch.

I find it hard to argue they're better than Cahill, Gabby, Ridgewell and Gardner.

Haven't highly rated players like Abdo and Carruthers left good academies or turned down good teams to sign for us? This was happening before this win.

Wiemann > Gabby

Nobody > Cahill

Baker > Ridgewell

Gary (Potentially) > Craig Gardner

And the last bit you mention is very true - do you think that might be something to do with why our kids are European champions? And do you still fail to see any kind of benefit of good young players leaving other academies to join ours?

All of those are potential.

This is weimman's first year. You can't say he's had a better career than gabby. Same with baker, ridgewell is a regular pre player, baker has the potential but at the moment there's no way you can say they're better than the last batch.

what's wrong with having lots of potential coming through?

ridgewell might be a regular premiership player but that doesn't make him particularly good. he wasn't that good when he was here, and he's still not that good now that he's not. i'd take baker over ridgewell any day. you know what your limit is with ridgewell, you have buckets of potential with baker. 

obviously wiemann hasn't had a better career than gabby. that would be an impossibility given the age difference, however he's a much better player than gabby is already

it seems like you have no interest in potential. does it not excite you to think we have the  best young team in europe?

Nothing wrong with potential

You said that each batch was getting better. That's currently not true.

Some have the potential to be better but you can't say they are yet.

If you can't celebrate the good things without dwelling on the negatives its sometimes understandable. In this instance, I think the label miserable git is fitting.

God. Would you be like this if the women's team win the league? Did you used to go out and dance in the streets when the reserve team won their league? Are you glued to the Internet in full kit trying to find out how the U11's got on?

Its kids winning a youth level competition. It's pleasing, it's a good achievement but that's about it.

You might want to go and reserve your space for the parade.

None of the women's team might go on to play for us in the first team. Several of these kids might. That's why people are excited. Christ, if we had Messi at the club 10 years ago you'd be on here complaining he was too small and potential meant nothing. Can you not just  sit back and enjoy the fact that, right now, we have a youth setup  that most football teams in the world would kill for?

Have i claimed any of the players are too small or actually had a go at any of their physical attributes or footballing ability?

Bit of a ridiculous argument that.

I've actually said that i think theres a lot of potential in the youth team and that once the likes of grealish start playing for the first team i'm sure my level of excitement about them will rocket up.

Big_John_10 Prepares to Interview the Aston Villa Youth Team after their Next Gen Victory

geoff-shreeves-Image-012.jpg

(No offence meant to commentator pictured).

BJ10: I'm at Villa Park today and have with me here a member of the Villa academy. Daniel, good morning.

DC: Hello.

BJ10: Some people are saying you are the next big thing, the Lionel Messi of England.

DC: Er, wow, very flattering, Messi is the best player in the world. I'm speechless by that.

BJ10: Yes, it's a ridiculous comparison isn't it? You'll never be as good as him.

DC: Well yes! Probably not!

BJ10: Chances are, you won't even make it out of the academy. I'm not holding out any hope for you myself. Your performances mean nothing at this stage.

DC: I'll work hard, do my best. I've made progress this year.

BJ10: Just give up, mate. I would. The Villa academy is sh1t.

Oh God you guys have just made my morning. I just came into work and creased at the arguments. It really is great. :'D

Its not just madness its unnecessary pressure at their age. People shouldnt be putting that sort of valuation near them

If they're old enough to be in the first team they're old enough for the general speculation that surrounds football players.

Obviously Carruthers and Grealish aren't worth £5m right now but projecting development and success... and I've probably totally undervalued some of the other players we know much less about.

This side is likely to be worth multiple times more than the £10m the 2002 side raised.

Your a Conman mate. 

Carruthers and Grealish wouldnt even go for a 1m right now! Their worth Very very little as it stands.

Where would you get these figures from woodytom ? Both Professional contracts with a decent future ahead of them. They've just won the nextgen cup and both feature above their age for international country's. Eh I'm not sitting here making up stories but if you believe that villa would let their (so-called best in europe) youngsters go for penny's, that's even more ludicrous as any other statement made so far im afraid.

If jack was running out of contract to sign him it would still cost a club a lot of money. As it would be taken further and Villa would have a lot of proof that he'll be 'The next biggest thing in the premier league' e.g first team squad at 16,Been there since he was 6 and constantly played 2 years above his age. (Of course i would never say that he will be,but nevertheless Villa will claim that he will be to get compensation)

Hell, thinking about it... Ruben Loftus-Cheek has just signed a contract with chelsea that will cost up to 1.7m JUST in wages ? Remind me how he played the other night and how his team got in that next gen cup everyones rambling on about ?

I havent got any figures!

I havent said Villa would sell!

Not many people are rambling on about the next gen cup which whoever Ruben Loftus-Cheek is?? - his team lost in the final.

Im lost as to what your point is??

Not Criticising mate.

And of course there not worth 5m as Con has already mentioned. But to claim there worth less than 1m with very very little proof is a bit ridiculous thats all.

And my point is that the likes of chelski are splashing out wages worth 1.7m on a 17 year old... who the other night had a fairly quiet game against our boys. What would stop a club like chelsea paying a poxy 1m in transfers for a player(s) who could become the next big thing.

We now have 'The best academy in Europe' for the u19's level... Villa wouldnt sell the best players in the youth team, therefore IF a club DID want some of our best youth lads villa would make them cough up a fair bit of money for them.

The contrary world of Big John 10...

[Negative :( ]
I don't care and I won't celebrate the achievement. I'd sooner put a downer on it all by focusing on the quite normal statistical inevitability that most wont make it, and making that out to be a major negative. I'll pour cold water on the idea that any of them may turn out to be any good. I'll also completely dismiss any importance or relevance the youth set up has to the future of the first team by comparing it to a ladies team victory. I'll make my core argument about how I don't care and I'll let everybody know how much I don't care by repeating the points above over and over and over.

[Positive :) ]
However, later, when pressed I'll interject with the contradiction 'it's great, well done, x player might make it' before reverting to type with...

[Negative :( ]
meh 'but it means nothing. I don't care, and I won't celebrate'.

Edited by Kingfisher
  • Like 2

Hilarious.

However, later, when pressed I'll interject with the contradiction 'it's great, well done, x player might make it' before reverting to type with...

You should try and read more it may help you.

Anyway I'm sure we'll all hear chants about this win at the next game. Let the stoke fans know what a huge achievement it is.

Â