Next Gen Series 2012/2013

mikeyp102

What a farce this new league is. Participation for under 19s should be decided on their own merit rather than on each club's current first team status in UEFA. To not invite the holders of the previous trophy shows they do not want to open up their new league to anyone other than the chosen few and that teams are selected on influence rather than on ability!

Rather than looking to Europe to blood our players we should look at a UK based solution. Villa have pioneered before and we should look at this as an opportunity, we are the youth champions of Europe, any league we joined or help create would have that as a headstart.

What a farce this new league is. Participation for under 19s should be decided on their own merit rather than on each club's current first team status in UEFA. To not invite the holders of the previous trophy shows they do not want to open up their new league to anyone other than the chosen few and that teams are selected on influence rather than on ability!

This.

There are many brilliant youth teams including ours but because of our current first team not being in the top 4 we are just pushed out. What should really happen is that they should have a European U19 league, but the logisitcs and costs of it would make it a nightmare. 

Well done Uefa and the big clubs, you have finally made club football a closed shop. Tied up any loose ends, that may allow teams to rise up compete.

You have stopped any team taking a quick fix to challenging the dominant teams with the financial fair play rules, now you have stopped the other method of challenging by bringing through a decent youth set up.

This has made my blood boil over the weekend. What is the point of modern club football anymore. It is not a sport, it is a business and I can't say what I want to say as it may land this website or me in trouble. I have been feeling like this for a number of years and this is more or less the final nail for me. The best youth players will now start to move towards the usual suspect as they will want to play in the competition (as seen with Crowley), which will mean that not only will the best young players come through at the top teams, any that they do miss can be hoovered up with their greater financial clout further down the line. We have seen the same teams at the top for the best part of a decade now, and I can only see this cementing their places at the top table for many years.

• 8 years later...

This popped up on my phone - 9 years ago today. Next Gen quarter final at Villa Park versus Olympiacos. 

Oddly, I can't remember the game at all, so can't comment on the then 17 year old Jack, although I do remember thinking Carruthers looked decent around that time. 

Screenshot-20220320-090402-com-google-an

Screenshot-20220320-093313-com-android-c

My abiding memory of this tournament is being told every 5 minutes that Gary Gardner was the new Gerrard.

Carruthers was supposed to be a top prospect. Just saw he's playing national league at 28. No surprise. He's an absolute whopper.

Linen absolutely destroyed by injuries.

Edited by rodders0223
  • Like 1

Im sure if you look at the final vs Chelsea we have Jack and I'm sure they have Christensen and Loftus Cheek 

They're the only 3 playing at PL level (unless someone else is a squad player somewhere that I've missed) 

Would be good if someone else can do the donkey work on those olympiacos players and see if any of them "made it" 

Edit - ake was at Chelsea too

Edited by villa4europe

35 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

My abiding memory of this tournament is being told every 5 minutes that Gary Gardner was the new Gerrard.

True, that was the first next gen wasn't it? Year before the above. He looked head and shoulders above everyone at that age level at the time. Great composure. 

Â