Next Gen Series 2012/2013

mikeyp102

But why bring that up AS SOON AS the game is over? Why not just be happy for once this season?

I looked back at the posts and the first post BG makes is 'fair play, BUT blah blah they probably won't make it'. Why say shit like that straight away!? This is why it's being perceived as negative. Anyway, we could go on all day and as it seems as if it's only us 3 (and con but he doesn't count ;) ) online so we're just going to go in circles.

Edited by StefanAVFC

Some people have a naturally cautious personality.

If you are being cautious then it is understandable that you would not get excited about the youth team winning the Champions League.

We could have played all the teams we did when they ad on an off day. We could be the worse team ever to fortuitously win a cup.

If you are less cautious you might go in the complete opposite direction. This win is evidence of a golden generation.

You know, Grealish the new Giggs, Crowley the new Scholes, Carruthers the new Beckham. There must be a Butt and a couple of Nevilles too.

As always the truth is probably somewhere in the middle.

Edited by Con

At the very least it looks like a few of them will generate us a bit of money when sold, which should be put back into the academy and that's great, if it pays for itself. Two or three look like potential senior players or even potentially good senior players. What more can we ask? Looks good to me.

• Like 1

But why bring that up AS SOON AS the game is over? Why not just be happy for once this season?

I looked back at the posts and the first post BG makes is 'fair play, BUT blah blah they probably won't make it'. Why say shit like that straight away!? This is why it's being perceived as negative. Anyway, we could go on all day and as it seems as if it's only us 3 (and con but he doesn't count ;) ) online so we're just going to go in circles.

Whats the difference if he says it straight away or later on? If thats his opinion then fair enough. I mean I said very positive things about Callum Robinson, based on 45 minutes of football against a load of players who (through the sheer laws of football) wont be good enough either. Is it ok to be positive and yet be untruthful? 

Its very easy to get carried away with these things. Ive been banging on to friends and family about the talent at Villa Park for the last few years (mainly Weimann thank god), but the rest are making me look like a complete pratt. I dont mind of course, thats football. 

All we are doing is having an opinion, and whether or not Big John's timing was appropriate or not (hardly a crime if it wasnt), I agree with his view and it is very hard to provide arguments against it atm tbh.   

The evidence that most youth team players go on to do **** all.

Am I negative about the victory? No. I've said, a few times now, I'm happy they won and I think it's a great achievement.

What I've also said is that it means nothing right now. Thats not being negative, that's just the fact of youth team football.

The only thing that counts is that they perform when they get to the first team.

Like i pointed out players like Sturridge, wellbeck, cleverly and Wilshire won very little at youth team level. Do you think the club? Their coaches or the fans of their clubs cared?

Youth teams are there to bring players through to perform with the first team or be sold for money to be reinvested in the club. Winning trophies at youth level is excellent for the players but it currently does nothing for the first team and is no guarantee for the future.

And just in case you missed it I'll repeat again that I'm very happy they won and its a fantastic achievement.

but it does for the last time. It means something now as we are the best youth team in Europe  :bang:  :bang:

To say that there hasn't been any negativity in this thread is just blatantly wrong. To point out that none of the lads will probably ever make it is being negative.

Probably just a few of these guys will go on to be good PL-players, but if so we've either saved some money or made some money. I rather see our young players win something like this than doing nothing good at all. That makes me look at the future with more hope. I bet 90% of the clubs in the league system envy us right now  when it comes to youth academies.

So let's just congratulate the kids and be happy for them instead of starting to doubt all of them at once, eh?

• Like 1

At the risk of becoming embroiled in this 'debate' that seems to be going in circles, surely the NextGen win does mean something now. 

It means that Villa has one of the best academies in Europe (and by extension - the world?).

It means our academy grows it's reputation as an excellent place for future stars to come and develop their game.

It means that our academy's exposure to foreign markets is enhanced allowing us to perhaps attract even better players.

It means that our players who have taken part and won the competition have gained valuable experience.

It means that surely the market value of these players has increased as well (if only slightly), so they would fetch more money, if we sell them.

Finally it also means we've won a trophy in an international and highly regarded competition that the club and its fans can be proud of.

Yes, many players may not go on to fulfill their potential but in a season where the first team hasn't achieved much to shout about, this is definitely a highlight and long may the academy's successes continue.

• Like 1

Crikey, I just thought to myself "I haven't gone to the Next Gen thread yet to congratulate the nippers on their excellent win".

So I came here. I have read the last three pages or so in some confusion and now I am going to slip away again very quietly. Quite what is going on here I don't know but I think it would be a good idea to have a thread where we could congratulate the nippers on their excellent win.

Edited by briny_ear

for all this "what good will it do us, the last batch of kids weren't all that great" talk, people seem to be forgetting that we're seeing a pretty massive improvement in the quality coming through with each batch of kids. Yes, the majority of the ones in the first team now aren't as good as we'd have liked, but the bulk of them would fetch a few million, and be useful squad players in the premiership - which was a big improvement on the previous batch. The next batch are european champions at their age, that shows further improvement. If that can continue, and there's no reason it shouldn't really, then we'll do quite well from this youth setup we've got going

which was a big improvement on the previous batch.

I find it hard to argue they're better than Cahill, Gabby, Ridgewell and Gardner.

Haven't highly rated players like Abdo and Carruthers left good academies or turned down good teams to sign for us? This was happening before this win.

The evidence that most youth team players go on to do **** all.

Am I negative about the victory? No. I've said, a few times now, I'm happy they won and I think it's a great achievement.What I've also said is that it means nothing right now. Thats not being negative, that's just the fact of youth team football.

The only thing that counts is that they perform when they get to the first team.

Like i pointed out players like Sturridge, wellbeck, cleverly and Wilshire won very little at youth team level. Do you think the club? Their coaches or the fans of their clubs cared?

Youth teams are there to bring players through to perform with the first team or be sold for money to be reinvested in the club. Winning trophies at youth level is excellent for the players but it currently does nothing for the first team and is no guarantee for the future.

And just in case you missed it I'll repeat again that I'm very happy they won and its a fantastic achievement.

but it does for the last time. It means something now as we are the best youth team in Europe  :bang:  :bang:

Who really gives a shit about being the best youth team in Europe? Do you think in 6 months fans of other clubs will even remember who won?

I mentioned 4 examples earlier. Sturridge, wellbeck, cleverly and Wilshire. Do you think fans, coaches or even themeselves are bothered about not winning much at youth level?

If you're a passionate fan of youth team football then this probably means something to you. For the rest of the 99.99% of football fans around the world it means **** all until these lads start putting on the shirt for the first team.

To be honest with you and this is completely genuine and not being petty in an attempt just to go against you.

I care about being the best youth team in Europe and don't care if fans of other clubs don't remember this is in six months time

Well when we're next losing and the opposition fans start giving us stick start up the chant of "Have you won the nextgen cup? The nexten cup? The nextgen cup?"

We'll see how it goes down.

But I just said I wouldn't care how it went down.

What's the tune of that song? Old Gray Mare?

Edited by 8pints

why would I or any Villa fans give a **** what other fans think in 6 months or ever?

am sure no non-Fulham fans care about them getting to 2010 Europa League final but they care and are proud of it

Its not just madness its unnecessary pressure at their age. People shouldnt be putting that sort of valuation near them

If they're old enough to be in the first team they're old enough for the general speculation that surrounds football players.

Obviously Carruthers and Grealish aren't worth £5m right now but projecting development and success... and I've probably totally undervalued some of the other players we know much less about.

This side is likely to be worth multiple times more than the £10m the 2002 side raised.

Your a Conman mate. 

Carruthers and Grealish wouldnt even go for a 1m right now! Their worth Very very little as it stands.

Where would you get these figures from woodytom ? Both Professional contracts with a decent future ahead of them. They've just won the nextgen cup and both feature above their age for international country's. Eh I'm not sitting here making up stories but if you believe that villa would let their (so-called best in europe) youngsters go for penny's, that's even more ludicrous as any other statement made so far im afraid.

If jack was running out of contract to sign him it would still cost a club a lot of money. As it would be taken further and Villa would have a lot of proof that he'll be 'The next biggest thing in the premier league' e.g first team squad at 16,Been there since he was 6 and constantly played 2 years above his age. (Of course i would never say that he will be,but nevertheless Villa will claim that he will be to get compensation)

Hell, thinking about it... Ruben Loftus-Cheek has just signed a contract with chelsea that will cost up to 1.7m JUST in wages ? Remind me how he played the other night and how his team got in that next gen cup everyones rambling on about ?

Edited by kevangrealish

Â